Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George1 Registered Senior Member

if they can shoot it throughout the shields, or at least pass its defenses, probably not, but give one reason they would have another one. if by the 24th century they still relied on terraforming stations, like the Velara III base, and could spare a genesis device to use against a Death Star?
    oh, it did, but agree only because of dumpasses writing the show. seriously, the Slipstream was saw only once, and like thousands of short plot scenes that the crews mysteriously forget the next episode and can't use them again, i doubt they would use them but would they equip their entire fleet with it, to keep up with the Empire?
    that's why i prefer SW when it comes to story: seriously, the crew acts like complete morons some times, or the episode is just embarrassingly stupid. like in that example.
    no kidding. i knew a few more: the plot story of Nemesis, the plot of The Chase.
    trust me, i once really liked ST in general. mostly TNG. but then an episode like The Chase showed up, and showed me the opposite of freaking logic and basic science, especially evolution. and then i saw Nemesis. worst fuck ever.
    and that's a few examples. i couldn't even continue.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. George1 Registered Senior Member

some of the other small craft from ST can go toe to toe with your SW ships
    no really? and how might i ask? suddenly invent something that transports them across the galaxy?
    the warp drive of the small crafts are slower than most ships in ST.
    which craft by the way?
    and the clone wars is full of useful stuff. numbers, size, power of the ships that will be the backbone of the early Empire.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. George1 Registered Senior Member

ah, finaly, time has come to prove the Galaxy is a big place:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

this image is take directly from The Clone Wars: Act on Instinct, webcomic that is a direct prequel to the Clone Wars. it shows a galaxy, a spiral galaxy. a spiral galaxy like that is not small. actually, a spiral galaxy is rarely small, as proof that most spirals found do far aren't.
    there you go. is this argument and canon image sufficient for you to accept that the Galaxy is at least the size of the Milky Way?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

As crazy as it sounds Star Trek Fighter Craft like the Peregrine, the Maquis Raider and the Danube Class Runabout have delivered enough fire power to to destroy full warships like Cardassian Galors and Dominion attack ships some times (with the right weakness targeted) all by themselves.

Ships like Defiant prove that Star Trek makes small ships with a heck of alot of fire power.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Uhm, I would like to point out that the sensor systems at the time relied on subspace and thus had a maximum speed of warp 9.99999.... Quantum Slipstreaming would have had them moving ahead of their own sensors in a quick hurry unless they made microjumps.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

So you would judge thje size of the American Navy by a Strike Force?

Listen canon is 25,000 Imperial Star Destroyers. Many other vessels were built before and after the famed ISD's. And many ISD's were also scrapped and lost. However in a 40 year period over 25,000 ISD's were built. And they were not the only ships of the line.

As for you quote about battles in SW you never commit an entire fleet to a battle. You send battle groups and strike groups becuase you never know what is going to be a diverson.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And thus, microjumps would make far more sense than a plan that risked total destruction of the ship, would they not?

11. Saquist Banned Banned

That is correct.
    I judge by what I see not by what I expect or by wishful thinking. I also judge based on canon.

~ Destiny's Way Chapter 22 pg. 333

The evidence doesn't not support your claim of millions and the evidence is what counts.

So respectively there could be another 10,000 much lesser ships like Nebulon B and Blockade runners but not ships like the MC-80's. If they existed in such numbers the Battle for Endor would not have been so perilous and the Rebels could certainly have made a military stand at Mon Calmari. Your estimates are based on pure conjecture...and alot of bias.

There was 3 Battle Groups.
    Farlanders Battle Group
    The Smugglers Alliance which consistend of only one SD, The Errant Ventur.
    And the forces pulled from Republic Worlds.

There was also a small fleet of non combatants used to lay the mines in the Deep Core. They were still outnumbered and there was no more ships for them to use. Do you have any evidence to support your assertions at all?

12. George1 Registered Senior Member

oh, sure. but a precise target isn't the same as alot of firepower in some cases. cases when the ship is small. a Danube class had only micro-torpedoes and i think phasers. how stronger are micro-torpedoes compared to full torpedoes?
    also the Defiant was a full out warship, equipped with Quantum torpedoes and Pulsed and beam phasers, which were i believe a lot stronger than regular phasers cuz they inflict damage using concentrated fire instead.
    i could be wrong though. but, how many Defiant classes they build? and how many Peregrines toke to take on a Galors? that's the real questions. in all by themselves do you mean ONE ship?

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

What i find so fascinating is according to canon number that have yet to be disproven there is no possible way for a Federation Starship of any type to be a threat to any SW capital ship, short of said capital ship being derelict or completely out of power.

These are canon facts from both Star Wars and Star Trek, yet the Trekkies ignore their own canon let alone SW canon.

a Heavy Turbolaser has an output equivalent to 200 gigatons

the heaviest combat Torpedo the Federation has the Quantum Torpedo has a maximum out put of 128 megatons acording to canon or 500 megatons according to generous allowances.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

as for the Defiant, it Pulse Phaser are arguable less powerful than the Federation Type XII phaser, however the way the Focusing crystal layers the energy of the pulses gives it shield piercing properties versus Star Trek shields. Each pulse is roughly round and ayered like an onion, making it rather explosive compared to normal phasers.

Of note the orginal Defiant had four Pulse phasers and four Photon launchers two forward and two aft Each launcher could launch upto four torpedoes simulatneously. Later designs had 4 Pulse Phasers, a Type X Phaser strip, 2 Medium Photn tubes forward and one large Photn tube rear. Giving the ship the ability to lanch a total of 12 forward torpedos and 12 rear as well.

Normally Quantum torpedoes were only carried by Soveriegn, Defiant and Galaxy class starships. One Excelsior class was refitted to fire them. Several Steamrunner class ships were also similiarly refited.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

If memory serves it was 5 fighters that crippled the Galor...on one pass.

The ICS numbers.
    Well unfortunately those numbers are dis proven by the Vong invasion as well.
    In this very book Han Solo says after launching himself at those hundreds of Vong Cruisers that they were outgunned and out numbered. Vong Weapons are nothing more than Lava canons shooting rock.

When the Lusankya execuated a Base Delta Zero around the remains of the rebel installation...their was no glassing, no massive shock waves just burning vegetation.

Yes, they are facts and the facts contradict thesmselves.
    I can pull direct quotes if you like.
    I read the entire New Jedi Order. I know the firepower the ICS claims was never seen in full all out battle.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  16. George1 Registered Senior Member

you forget a few things.
    the BDZ is proof that that the firepower is that high. it requires huge amount of energy to reduce the planet to molten slag, but that's exactly what it is described in Star Wars: Battlefront II,The Hutt Gambit, Specter of the Past and Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream. also the destruction of Caamas.
    imagine that in order for a K–T extinction event to occur, it would take the entire nuclear arsenal of the Earth to explode a thousand times over. and the K-T extinction didn't extinct ALL life on the planet, but a BDZ is supposed to reduce the surface of a planet for miles deep into nothing but ruble.
    to compare, the Chicxulub crater, the crater resulted in the impact, was quote ,

for contras, a gigaton is just 1.000 megatones;. so as far as it goes, how many ships would it required for a BDZ is the firepower is that low as you state? the numbers of ship would be just not practical, yet they used the BDZ and its said that just a few ships did it. not fleets of hundreds or tens of thousands, but a fleet of at most tens of ships. the 200 gigatones is way believable.

17. Saquist Banned Banned

The planet wasn't reduced to slag.
    Only burning vegetation and vaporized water. I have Rebel Dream right in front of me and there was no slagging. No shock waves, no blast.

18. George1 Registered Senior Member

right, well that wasn't a true BDZ.

19. George1 Registered Senior Member

remember that a BDZ is described as reducing a planets upper surface to molten slag, and only deep structures can survive miles underneath the surface. so, what you mentioned was NOT a full BDZ.

20. Saquist Banned Banned

From my understanding it doesn't exist in the EU as you describe...no where.

21. George1 Registered Senior Member

well go in more deep study, cuz it dose exists.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

Where?

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

That was not a BDZ as the New Republic does not commit BDZ, that was the sole providence of the Empire under Palpatine.

As for your assertion htat the Vong weapons were nothing more than Lava canoons, remember they also speak of Plasma streamers on larger ships as well. Also those hungs of rock were travelling in the .8 to .95 C range as they moved almost as fast as laser bolts. Vong Shielding was a artifical form of projected singularities that absorbed energy and matter as easily as a black hole would. If you are going to spealk of Vong weapons at least do it correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.