Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

Apocalypse, he's been pretty impartial and you I respect you and Kitamaru but there has been quite a bit of expletives thrown around for everyone to take offense. Perhaps something calmer would be better.

I'm currently compiling information on visuals.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

speaking of pulverizing: energy weapons can only pulverize if they contain some element that breaks down something like metal, right? I've seen instances of that on Star Trek TNG, and Stargate.
    I realize that's a more theoretical question, but can you guys tell me of instances, of weapons like that, in Star Trek, SG1 etc... other than the organic material that was transfered from the Klingon ship to the Enterprise-D; I remember that one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

I understand. But there are instances when you can no longer have a Canadian-type of patience with someone like him.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, he did... I honestly... I don't know what more to say...

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

never attacked ?
    how about;

as far as who i think are the most knowledgeable here in this thread, in order of knowledge;(and expressing such knowledge)(this is just my opinion)
    saquist
    kittamaru
    TW
    ricery
    apocolypse..

the only reason you are at the bottom of the list is most all your post are too busy insulting others, instead of putting forth any knowledge..if there were more knowledge and less insults you would pry be above rice and TW..
    (which is why i had commented on your above post as being projection,you are guilty of that more than they are)

of course this list does not speak to any accuracy of the knowledge, if it did i would think saquist would be the only one on the list.(at least he provides links and data not just opinion)

i haven't seen too many of IlithiDragon's post's to merit an opinion of his posts..

9. Saquist Banned Banned

There isn't much to say after that especially considering math is the numerical application of logic. He's pretending he's this good mathematician but I think for all his grand standing he's using a calculator..specifically a "Wong" Calculator. ....get it...a Wrong calculator! Okay that was corny.

I'm pretty good at imitating problems and figuring problems out. I'd like to see a verified formula on way or another. Ive looked at the information from the NASA and MIT websites on diverting and destroying asteroids. It seems that G2K's estimates of multimegatons is justified.

NASA logically isn't trying to blast Asteroids into instant slag. They're numbers are reflecting the bare minimum needed to destroyed asteroid into pieces that atmospheric reentry could handle..

G2K is estimating a complete decimation of these asteroids at 300 and 700 meters wide. Every one of these scenes are show molten slag remains of almost the complete asteroid. We must be talking 500 megatons and above to get that kind of instant melting of that much rock.

10. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

you misread what I wrote....and you haven't seen posts that I've made BEFORE you came here. So let's just leave it at that. There's no point now in talking about it.

11. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yeah - there's also the composition, like you mentioned, the vaccuum of space etc.... If there was actually an atmosphere, the weapons wouldn't need to be that powerful. Of course that ALSO depends on WHAT the weapon is using as a catalyst, the type of detonator,.....etc....

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

this i will agree/admit to..

13. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Space weapons would probably need to be accurate as proximity weapons would have diminishing returns I think. Torpedoes of various types exploiting the vacuum of space would be the kind I would probably develop. A Cobalt fusion Bomb would also maximise EMP damage.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I watched the scene 30 frigging times in frame by frame analysis of the original theatrical and the rereleased digitially rematered. The ISD Avenger was moving foward and DOWN, compared to the Executor and it moved enought that through the cloud of debris you would not have seen the bridge section as all of it would have been against dark parts of the Executor.

Later the Avenger was chasing the Millenium Flacon out of the Fied and it's bridge tower was intact structurally.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

An EMP against an asteroid?
    I'm not sure if I understood you.

Debunked to no end.
    The frame by frame analysis and the script confirm the SD was destroyed.
    Just one of annoying and inconvenient truths.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

FAIL - the Avenger was moving primarily forward and slightly down - however, unless you wish to claim the Avenger was ACCELERATING at a velocity capable of removing it from the scene in under 10 frames, then you have to explain why it was lazily floating by and them *BAM* asteroid and the bridge is gone.

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, but the FRAME BY FRAME, SCRIPT, NOVELIZATION, and RERELEASE all confirm the Avenger, the ISD struck in the bridge section, survived the ENTIRE trip through the field. It was even one of the surviving ships that fought the Space Worm.

Wishful thinking on your part and woefully mangled gifs on the part of RSA do not proof make.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually there was third option. Avenger was moving fast enough that when enough of the cloud dissapated that you could see engine glow of the Executor through the cloud the bridge tower would not have been obstructing the view at all even though it was intact. I would also point out that the Asteroid exploded like loose chalk hitting a brick wall. If the Bridge Tower had inded been torn off show me the pieces......

19. Saquist Banned Banned

Still Grandstanding I see. G2K provides proof...you do not.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Wars/Episodes/TESB/HDC5-bta05-crbr.jpg
    http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWbta.html

The Frame by frame shows the Tower is gone.
    I know I saw the script and it says that the ship hit by the asteroid was destroyed. I've posted it before.

Asteroids collide, creating a fireworks display outside the
    bridge window. Darth Vader stands, staring out the window
    above the control deck. Then slowly turns toward the bridge.
    Before him are the hologram images of twenty battleship
    commanders. One of these images, the commander of a ship that
    has just exploded, is fading away quickly.Another image, in
    the center and a little apart from the others
    , is faded and
    continually disrupted by static. It is the image of Captain
    Needa, commander of the Star Destroyer most hotly on the tail
    of the Millennium Falcon. Admiral Piett and an aide stand
    behind the Dark Lord.
    ~http://www.blueharvest.net/scoops/esb-script.shtml

Asteroids collide, creating a fireworks display outside the bridge
    window. Darth Vader stands, staring out the window above the control
    deck. Then slowly turns toward the bridge. Before him are the
    hologram images of twenty battleship commanders. One of these images,
    the commander of a ship that has just exploded,
    is fading away quickly.
    Another image, in the center and a little apart from the others, is
    faded and continually disrupted by static. It is the image of Captain
    Needa, commander of the Star Destroyer most hotly on the tail of the
    Millennium Falcon. Admiral Piett and an aide stand behind the Darkhttp://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/esb_final.txt

Sure would like to see some sources for your thus far completely unsupported statements concerning the script and frame by frame.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, one, I would love to see these "woefully mangled .gif's" you speak of... as every goddamn picture on that page is a .jpg you incredible liar...

Secondly, I can disprove your "show me the pieces" idea right off the bat - the pieces are either in the debris field (which is now slowly scattering) or were knocked (as is logical) backwards, off screen. Since the camera never pans to the rear, we don't get to see them.

And finally, no, the bridge is not still "clearly there"... and I'll make this incredibly damn simple for you Scott...

Here are the stills from that scene... I marked the leading edge of the bridge with a yellow line, and moved it with the hull based on a mark on the hull (the dip in the hull) which I have circled in red on the first image. Notice, once the asteroid strikes *gasp* the bridge isn't visible, even though it would, for a time, extend BEYOND the debris cloud!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As you can clearly see - no bridge. And you are wrong on ANOTHER account - the ISD is moving lazily along, yes, but if anything was going UPWARDS in the scene.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Saquist, is it just me, or are these rabid warsies so desperate to be on top that they're willing to throw everything, honor and dignity included, to the wind...?

23. Saquist Banned Banned

The only consistent thing I've noticed about TWScott is that he will lie until proven wrong and even then will quite irrationally claim to see what no one else can see. Numbers no one else has crunched. It's nothing short of a religion and he is faithful to the ugly end.

I have personally have never seen a moments of rationality or logic from the man and Ricery descended rather quickly into the same. I'm no genius but I can clearly see those numbers in ICS are fantastically inflated and occur nowhere in the visual canon.
    ----

I've found pics from TNG Booby Trap that also show Megaton explosive effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.