Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

see below
    now you claim its only a tv show??

this is the only thing youve said in this post to show him different.

talk about poor debating skills..see above..
    so far, IMO being not as technically argumentative as you guys are, and if i were the referee in a formal debate, i would give the points to TW..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Squirrel, read back the last 500 or so pages and see the kind of bullshit that guy posts on a regular basis... and I'm talking about some crazy shit, like "oh, Star Wars ships are made using Neutronium in their hulls, so Star Trek Ships can't hurt them"... problem is, in Star Wars, Han can pick up a fist sized chunk of Neutronium (laying on a moon mind you) with his bare hands. In Star Trek, Neutronium is the shit that comes from a neutron star... not the same thing, yet to TW Scott here, it doesn't matter...

*shrugs*

We all got tired of dealing with him, so we generally just don't take him seriously anymore

I mean, shit, for the photon torpedo explosion thing... if we went by the rules of "explosions must look real and have power judged on their looks"... most sci-fi's would be boned...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

in a formal debate it is not crucial to be accurate..
    alot of your arguments are based on character attacks and insults..with little that adresses the actual subject matter..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, if you wish to get formal:

Look at Politicians - tell me, when was the last time you saw a politician "debate" without using character attacks, insults, and blatant lies?

Anyway, no, just no. TW Scott has had his chance, and chose to debate based on blatant falsehoods and misdirection instead of facts and logic, time and again. Thus, nobody has any respect for him anymore.

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

your thinking of their campaign ads..
    nobody=you..

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mate, unless you've read the last few hundred pages, or been here for them (as I was), I doubt you're in any position to attempt to play the big bad decision maker here... seriously, you're just sounding like so much hot air right now*shrugs*

Go back, read the thread, and educate yourself. Then come back when you're done.

10. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

first of all, little debating has been done in here by those making logical arguments
    The debating has been done mainly by those who repeat the same shit over and over like a six year old with a tantrum.
    Those, here, who have made logical arguments, have used deductive arguments, and mostly validity arguments. Some (many?) have used inductive arguments.
    If we were only debating here, we'd just be babbling nonsense and continuously thrwoing out elliptical arguments. But that's not what some of us, like IlithiDragon especially, have done here.

11. Raven Gold Registered Member

Well out of the options in the poll, Stargate, just because I like Stargate.

But one of my favorite cross-over scenarios is Star Trek's Borg vs Starcraft's Zerg. Neither of those two would win, but everybody else in both universes are effectively screwed. One wouldn't assimilate the other, they'd merge.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Caeliar would come out of hiding, pimp-slap both the Zerg and the Borg (and the Tyranids for good measure) back into their respective places, and then have a milkshake just because they can.

13. Raven Gold Registered Member

Can't really argue with that. :shrug:

14. Saquist Banned Banned

-Most of your arguments lack proper logic
    -Your sources for Star Wars evidence is frequently lacking. (Especially from the novels)
    -Like Ricery the "physics" you employ are 2 dimensional ignoring some effects while emphasizing others and never explaining why you favor ignoring those effects
    -You have been proven dishonest
    -You have rarely conceded your errors.

I concur Kittamaru does profane much against his opponet. I won't make excuses for it. That is not proper debating nor how it's done. But points would have to be given on a strict rule basis. it could not be subjective:

Such as:
    Supporting evidence: +2 points for every source of support.
    Identifying and proving a logical fallacy + 3
    Logical syllogisms: 5 points
    Successful Counter Arguments: 8 points
    A winning argument + 10 (defined by the 3 strike rule. If an opponent gives a negative argument, which is anything that causes a negative score such as a logical fallacy or failure to show evidence or inaccurate evidence, that person forfeits the argument, counting as a win for the opposition.

-Winning an argument can also result from a successful counter argument.
    -Winning an argument can also result from the greater number of points for the 3 rounds.

Negative points would result in anything that successfully discredits an argument. Such as...

- Failure to show evidence, inaccurate evidence -2
    -Logical Fallacy -3
    - Personal attacks & vulgarities -5

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shrugs* I would be more than willing to be direct and proper if the other side were to show any initiative or desire to do so. Otherwise, why should I bother taking the time to go in depth and be polite when they (like TW Scott) can't even take the time to stop repeating and reusing old, disproved argument?

16. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

to lead by example.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

When an argument is actually disproven by you, Kittamaru, I will discard it. I must be pointed out however that you have not provided proof of your disproof. And no "Pssh that is stupid." is not a proof. Either display canon facts or scientifically and mathematically backed equations as proof. Anything less is just you spouting off.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, I tried that about, 300 pages ago. I gave up after all I got in return was the sci-fi equivalent of "your momma so fat" and "you so dumb"... :shrug:

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Don't make me dig through the last thousand pages to pull out each and every time you've been proven wrong by myself or someone else... cause I swear to GOD if I have to do that, I'll make it my life's goal to find you in the world and smack you upside the head for being THAT bloody stubborn.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Go right ahead Kittamaru, if you can. Remember canon facts and scientific proofs, nothing less cuts it.

Prove that the maximum firepower of a Acclamator's Heavy Turbolaser is 200gigaton equivalent.

Prove that Han's hand blaster was blowing human torso sized chunks out of an obviously concrete wall.

Prove that Death Star cannot possible destroy planets, despite direct visula evidence.

Prove that Phasers have Autoaiming features when on numerous occasions ELITE starfleet officers have repeatedly missed slow moving targets in narow hallways at close range.

Prove that Photon Torpedoes must be multi megaton weaponry, when it would take the Entire copliment of the Enterprise D to blwo apart the holow asteropid that the Pegasus was trapped in. And rember from video that asteroid was ~30 km in diameter.

Prove that the Federation has more sentient citizen than Old Republic.

Please prove any of this if you can. For your sake at least.

Oh and physcially threaten me again, if you like prison.

21. Saquist Banned Banned

Scott you wouldn't survive one debate in a formal forum.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*giggles giddily*

If you think a smack upside the head constitutes a physical threat, then I feel nothing less than utter sorrow for you and your family (or future family should you ever have one).

Anyhow, as Saquist already said - you would not survive even one real debate in any kind of formal setting, and I do reckon that would include a courtroom if you felt so inclined

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Assault is assault and threats to "track you down" are not taken lightly by DA's anymore. I am just warning you that there are consequences to your actions. (Also point in fact I would not need to debate anything in court, that's the Prosecutor's job)

I do notice however none of you have even made the slightest attempt to back your claims.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.