Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricrery Banned Banned

A kiloton would have created plasma in the atmosphere, did the photon and phaser hits do this? No. Thus, we can conclude they didn't do kilotons. This is physics. A petaton would have created a far more destructive visual effect. I heavily doubt that this is an instance of kilotons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

You are completely ignoring the fact that a phaser blast does not generate an effect comparable to a raw release of energy. Most of the effective yield is caused by the target material being 'vaporized' by the NDF effect. There is a notable release of energy in the conventional sense, but nowhere near the effective yield generated by the NDF effect.

Most of the destruction of the crust came from the 'vaporization' of the NDF effect, not from a release of raw energy. Besides, we DO see what appear to be fireballs in the atmosphere, MULTIPLE fireballs, in fact, at least one of which is easily the size of Western Europe, which we do not see disappear. Now, my postulation is that these are not, in fact, fireballs but the glow from the NDF effect 'vaporizing' the planetary crust. This would explain their brief duration, WITHOUT dismissing the Romulan weapons officer's statement of "30% of the planetary crust on opening volley."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh Lawl... now you are trying to apply real world physics to sci-fi... I thought you were the one who said not to do that?

Okay, well then, I contend that the Xeelee do not fire anything over kiloton level because their handguns don't instantly vaporize the atmosphere of the planet they are standing on. The same goes for Star Wars Blasters and Blaster Cannon (hand held up to and including SSD based), Dr. Who's weaponry, BSG weapons, and even modern day nukes - after all, you say that a kiloton would create plasma in the atmosphere... yet modern nukes don't do that... fuck, even the MOAB is over a kiloton and that doesn't make "plasma in the atmosphere"...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ricrery Banned Banned

Never did I say that.

Xeelee handguns have scale, and they work via gravity. They aren't doing kilotons at all because they are GRAVITY WEAPONS. Enjoy sub-kiloton Trek! Seriously, a kiloton of KE could shatter a ship's hull while its shields were at 70%.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, really?

So, tell me Mr. Liar... what prey tell is that "this is physics" referring to? Perhaps you mean physics as in phys-ed?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They work via gravity... so they project gravity then?

Cool... how does projecting a gravity well cause an explosion... much less a supernova, hm? If anything, increasing gravity in a localized area would cause an IMPLOSION not an EXPLOSION.

:shrug:

Then again, it's just "phys-x" :m:

9. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Umm, he is right to a certain extent, not the full extent. For powerful nuclear and thermonuclear weapons, at its CORE it creates plasma, not in the atmosphere. How can you be sure that in Trek, in the center if the explosion of a photon torpedo it didn't create plasma? How can you be sure that in the beam of the phaser, it is not plasma? How can you be sure that in a turbolaser bolt, only it core is the turbolaser itself, the outside layer is not plasma? It only turns gases in a certain radius into plasma.

They can't project gravity, it is against the laws of physics ( primarily relativity ). It is not necessarily a force, it is a curvature of the fabric of spacetime and it is curved by matter. If you chose not to believe relativity, then there is Newton's law of universal gravitation, F = G [(m1m2)/(r2)]. ( The 1 and 2 for m represents 1st and 2nd mass, the 2 for r is squared ). If you chose to deny both of those......then there is nothing I can do to help you. There is only one scenario for Ricrery's scenario is if the projectile is accelerated t near-c thus causing its matter to "grow", so when it reach the target, it's mass is great enough to effect the target. However it is gradual, thus objects in the line of fire will be effected, and depending on the speed of the projectile and the distance of the user from the projectile, quite possibly the user will be dead or injured, it is a handgun so I am assuming it will be awfully close. Also, the user's hand will be cute off by the gun, and the gun will fly away, because every action have a equal and opposite reaction........it will also be first the target being stretched and/or torn by the incoming projectile, then ( assuming that the projectile stops for some miraculous reason, due to physics it shouldn't, it will keep going until a force is able to stop it, it will keep going on and on and on, that is why gravity is still classified as a force, because it can change the motion of an object ) it will be an implosion. It cannot be an explosion.

If you chose to bring physics into scifi, then I welcome you to do so. If you do, we will as well.

Do you realize the term science FICTION?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh no my friend.

We've downgraded.

At least TW Scott knew how to roll witht he punches, had some self respect, and was able to put together a somewhat vaguely coherent argument--like someone would do when they're drunk.

Ricrery is below that. He's the kid in the padded room next to TW Scott screaming the same thing over and over and over again.

Myth? I don't know who this man is, but he sounds like an amazing man with immense intellectual and sexual abilities. You should stop being a crybaby and beg him to teach you his ways.

It's suggested that the lack of shield was Shinzon getting ready to beam Picard off of the Enterprise. Hence Picard's snipe about his evaluation as a cadet being that he was "overconfident". Ie, Shinzon, having taken every ounce of firepower the flagship had, pumbling away the last of its shields, and leaving it a crippled mess felt perfectly safe in gloating at Picard at point blank range before beaming him over (ie, the whole, look him in the eyes bit).

Shinzon, being the sort of character that he was, was going to demand that Picard willingly surrender--possibly as another means to establish his superiority. Picard's response was ramming him with the ship.

I don't really consider it a VFX error so much as dramatic license--like Abrams when he stated that he took artistic license with his black hole...the one that spits lightning. And this makes sense; we know that their ships are much faster than that, so ramming him at what would equate to an absurdly small decimal point of what the ship's truly capable of is what we should take into consideration.

That doesn't mean that the Enterprise rammed the ship at .8c either...given the severe amount of damage to the impulse engines, we could guess that the velocity was closer to .4c or .2c--half and quarter impulse respectfully. One must also consider the speed of the Scimitar as well though; if it was moving at similar speeds when she was attempting to (what amusingly appears to be) barrel rolling out of the way.

Then again, in a VOY episode we're told that the ship crashed into a planet at full impulse--or .8c as per stated--yet only compressed a few decks of the ship. Of course, that also depends on how fast the planet they crashed into was moving. Ie, Earth moves around the sun at 30 km/s, or .01c. Obviously, that's not even close to what Voyager was doing, but it's also possible that the planet was moving much, much faster.

Of course, given the mass reduction of a ship at high impulse, it probably bounced after creating a massive crater.

No, I am Hellblade8, not this Myth that he has some sort of major fondling over. In any case, ricrery calls anyone a liar who he doesn't agree with, apparently this includes both Myth and myself.

Ricrery believes that there is abosolutely no example of higher end Trek abilities, believing that they're all lies or that they don't count.

If one really wanted to get technical, we could call this a forced dillema. We have no idea what sort of warhead designs these people use. For example, the design may in fact reduce the size/duration of the fireball, while maximizing its shockwave--not hard to imagine because we have seen subspace shockwaves which do work in space. In which case, calculating the fireball would be entirely pointless because it no longer represents the actual energy put out. With shockwaves that are causing tsunami that are literaly covering the planet in seconds, the yield would be teratons easily.

But that's if you want to get technical.

Personally, I don't like to think they're photon torpedoes at all--at least not standard ones.

To be fair--they could also be firestorms. Graned, continent spread firestorms would still push fairly high yields...but still.

11. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I don't think TW have been banned repeatedly like Ricrery have ( I am not certain, but I don't think so ).

12. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Don't worry, soon he will he start making up stuff and says that you said it, and bash you repeatedly with it. He will also INSIST you said it, and will not provide evidence that you did.

13. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

can someone please tell me if these book are canon??:
    - the book that goes with Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    - Yesterday's Son A.C. Crispin
    - Time For Yesterday A.C. Crispin(?)

14. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

From what I understand, the Trek novels frequently contradict each other, as well as the TV episodes and films. The official line is that none of the novels are canon.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sadly, no Trek novels are cannon, no matter how wonderful they are (Star Trek: Destiny being one series that desperately needs to be made into a movie)

16. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the club.

17. ricrery Banned Banned

Someone who thinks Star Trek could beat Halo shouldn't be talking. You fail at physics forever.

18. Maika Registered Member

i can't believe Star Wars has the most support. i've always hated Star Wars. i liked Ewoks.

anyway, i am a huge Stargate fan and Farscape fan but i gotta go with the classic Star Trek. i'm writing Star Trek slash anyway so i'm wrapped up in it.

i should write some Stargate slash. or maybe crossover stuff. it'll be hilarious. Teal'c in the same room with Tuvok? hahaha. who invented the eyebrow!?

and i don't think Dune counts, that's a movie.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So's Star Wars... :shrug:
    Dune was a book (or series of books) DECADES before it was a movie.
    And it was a TV mini-series after the movie.

20. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

You just lost all credibility.

1. I have never supported Star Trek.
    2. I have never debated [insert faction here] vs WH 40K.
    3. I have never attempted any physics, in ths thread or any others.

I challenge you to quote the post in which I thought any of these points.

Failure to do so will only further your deteriorating reputation.

21. ricrery Banned Banned

Wait, my mistake, I meant Halo.

22. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

And what of it?

23. ricrery Banned Banned

You said ST would beat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.