Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

No, I thought it was apples

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Lol, true.

I thought those were granola bars ( seriously )

P.S.

The Republic Commandos series made the Jedi sound like douche bags, and it is true, if you look at it from the clone's point of view.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Well, seeming as how Chuck Norris can do the same thing minus the oranges, who cares?

Yoda was the wise one, Windu was friggin awesome one, Kenobi was the civilized one, and Anikan was the gullible one.

Actually that was me.

Still haven't played it.

To get it sort of in the right track what is the limitation of Trek shields regarding solid objects? In the latest movie I saw solid missiles tearing right through their shields, but that entire movie was questionable. So I am just wondering.

Specifically:

1. Can it block all solid objects, regardless of size?
    2. If not, how big would something have to penetrate?
    3. If a projectile was shot out of a cannon-like weapon, with a hyperdrive system to launch the projectile(meaning the projectile would move at almost hyperspace speed), what effect, if any, would it have on Trek Shields?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

Well, in the Republic Jedi before the rise of the Empire rather kinda were... Arrogant, seclusive, self-superior, and generally detached from all the stuff that makes people people.

Note how quickly Yoda throws away his Jedi army in the arena in favor of this new Clone army that had arrived. It's particularly suspicious when you consider that he sent the Jedi into the arena in a brute-force attack that is NOT the Jedi strength, that led directly into a trap where many of them died (compare that to Mace Windu sneaking into the VIP observation suite where Dooku et al were, completely undetected, and almost taking out the entire Separatist leadership single-handedly, showing what could have been accomplished if the Jedi had been employed as special commandos like they're really good at), and when you also consider that the cloners on Kamino fully believed that they were working for the Jedi Council. Add in Yoda's continual deception and other behavior through the entire series, and it's not hard to imagine some sinister plot being driven by the slimy little green oven mitt.

8. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

True said, and during the clone wars, they took basically a slave army without hesitation and didn't treat them like people ( most of them didn't, some did ) and used them as cannon fodder. They Jedi had MANY flaws. They were also retards in Geonosis, using the Republic Commandos as infantry, thus meaning 50% of the Special Forces was KIA in Geonosis. They wasted troops.

9. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

The books showed how they are douche bags.

10. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

Well, as this page shows, we almost always see shields block collisions, and on many numerous occasions. There are a few occasions where we don't, such as the bugship ramming the Odyssey, some bugships ramming Klingon ships in Tears of the Prophets (and the re-uses of that footage), and the Enterprise-E ramming the Scimitar in Nemesis, but all of these have potential explanations for why the shields were not up. We know the Odyssey had diverted power away from shields because they weren't doing any good against Dominion weaponry, so they probably weren't up in the first place, we know the Klingon and Dominion ships had been exchanging fire on their run-up to collision, so it's entirely possible that the bugships had dropped the shields of the Klingon warships they were targeting for kamikaze runs, and in Nemesis, in arrogance and probably a degraded mental state due to his condition, Shinzon presumably had lowered his shields to beam Picard aboard and failed to give the order to raise them again (and the way he ran his ship, doing anything other than what you were exactly ordered to do was a good way to be sent home in a box).

So to answer your points:

1. Yes, within the limits of the shield generating equipment
    2. It would be blocked regardless of size
    3. Depends on the mass of the object. With enough mass and velocity, an impact from a kinetic projectile can be extremely energetic. At near-lightspeed, it doesn't take much mass at all to create enormous amounts of momentum.

11. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

12. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Ok. I was wondering because there is a weapon in Star Wars called a mass driver. Using a hyperdrive, the cannon launches projectiles probably around the size of a Photon Torpedo(estimated guess, they could be slightly smaller, but not by much). It goes straight through Wars shields and directly tears up the hull.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  13. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Photon is an elementary particle......and it is THE smallest particle in the universe. NOTHING is smaller then it. If it is the size of photon then it is light...... I think you meant PROTON. So, is it like a proton cannon?

14. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

No. I mean Photon as in Photon Torpedo.

15. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

That makes more sense.

16. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yes I know. Also, we have to acknowledge factors like: the saucer section was hit by the shockwave and they didn't have full control over the decent of the saucer section. In order to land it on a planet, the path it has to take is spiral; but in that case, they basically went straight in.
    If I remeber correctly they were trying to get AWAY from the core breach. But once they were hit by the shockwave, they couldn't fully control the entry into the atmosphere of the planet. The shockwave damaged the systems and it veered toward the planet.

17. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

at the speed the ships usually travel during battle, the mass would not increase. I think you mean momentum. The force of the impact would depend on how much momentum there is; which also depends on the [fixed] mass of the object.

18. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

No, he was referring to the increasing of the mass of a kinetic impactor projectile fired at high relativistic speeds.

19. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I was referring to that. Anyways, I am not really sure if it will grow in mass in the Star Wars scenario since it is hyperspace........

20. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

Yeah, that's a good question... I know that with Trek, the way the warp drive works, it doesn't actually increase the ship's velocity, just apparent velocity, so the effect of a ship ramming into something at warp isn't the "OMGWTFBBQLOLPWNZRZ!!!1!one!eleven!!~!~!!two~!" you would think it would be.

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Basically the Alcubierre drive right?

22. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

No, the Alcubierre drive is an interesting concept, but not really how warp drive works, and it would have insane difficulty in neutralizing the gravitational sheering effects you would get from having a massive localized gravity well in front of you and a massive, localized anti-gravity well behind you.

Warp drive works by creating a subspace bubble around the ship (or rather, pushing a bubble of normal space around the ship into subspace), and moving that bubble. The ship itself isn't moving, but the space around it is.

23. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Ah, I always thought it was the Alcubierre Drive, my bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.