Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

What? You're not explaining what you're saying clearly.

Still no, for the stated reasons above. There is a limited degree to how fast a human or any baseline human can react to something. The speed of light exceeds that. Comfortably. And 40k is probably an even greater violater of clunk tech than Star Wars is. Granted, they're probably better than your average human, but still no. You're still moving around the speed of sound or above it--but not to the extent of anything nearly approaching light. There mere suggesting is just absurd.

It would also make the nova cannon entirely useless if their ships fight at FTL speeds and it moves, even at its highest and most vague estimations 'close to the speed of light'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ricrery Banned Banned

Well, they crossed around 9 AU in less the time (ST).

Really? In "Grey Hunter", a ship can move 100 kilometers in seconds while combating a Chaos ship. In "Titanicus", we see that someone with Mechanicus upgrades can hear what someone is whispering about, and then we see that an unmodified eye can't see the details a modified one can, so I am sure they have fast reactions as well.

They're moving at .75c, not even light speed, let alone FTL.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Your context doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, but why were they moving that fast? It depends on the tactics used. Sure, maybe for one vs. one ship, but they just as often engage in fleet battles with fighters.

You've confusing the ability to enhance your senses with processing speed. Ie, just because someone can see more details at a greater distance or can pick up on weaker sound waves than the average human doesn't given them incredibly fast processing speeds. I mean, I imagine it's faster, but there's a limit to how fast your brain can process things. You also have to remember how limited a biological--even an enhanced mechanical one, can move in reacting to that.

My apologies, I was sure you just said they were moving at the speed of light.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ricrery Banned Banned

Okay, they crossed the same amount of area in less time. See, they went at 2.85c while the Imperial ship went at .75c.

They did so to get away from the ship because it had bombs set in its reactor.

Well, they can still move that fast while going to planets, but in combat, they are capable of crossings hundreds of kilometers in seconds. In ST, ships just tend to sit in one spot and fire at each other, and until one starts losing, the other turns and runs away.

They move 3/4 of it though.

8. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

...Okay.

Yeah...that's probably the max they can get out of the engines then, not their combat speed.

1) Where is the source for hundreds of km a second?
    2) Just what sort of Star Trek are you watching boy? Yes, there were times, more often than not in TNG, where the Enterprise D was not exactly mobile, but it's also their heaviest and most bulky ship (aside from the Warbird). Please take a look at Deep Space Nine, where we see ships engaging while very much mobile. Also, the visuals are constantly wrong in Star Trek. Usually the VFX doesn't even come close to depicting proper ship size or distance--the Defiant itself shrinks and grows between episodes and entire shots.

Again, when pushing their engines (no doubt) to get away from a bomb. That's much, much lower than what an ST ship could do if pressed.

9. ricrery Banned Banned

Not true at all, they were in an area full of ships fighting, so they can't just accelerate out of there.

"Grey Hunter" where a ship which only accelerates for several seconds manages to move 100 km. If it didn't decelerate, it would have probably moved farther.

TNG...

Not like it proves that that was their maximum.

10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Um...why not? It's not like there's not much room in space. Setting a straight course and then burning the engines to get clear is exactly what anyone would do. Especially if it's better than letting the exploding starship kill you.

May I see the quote?

And that's the problem. TNG fight scenes were done with bad VFX effects and were mostly done at close range to make it look good (they justified this often by having the ships in spitting range before acting).

However, TNG also gives the upper ranges for ships fighting via the Wounded, where the Phoenix and a few Cardassian ships are fighting at hundreds of thousans of km.

It's highly unlikely they can move at three times the speed of light. Ie, they're so largely dependant upon warp. Being able to move at FTL speeds, even with dialation, would be something the Imperium would have forced themselvese to use from time to time--and yet, we don't see that.

11. ricrery Banned Banned

Doing my calculating, I decided to calculate how much it would take to boil water away.

Well, I found out that there is 326,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons in the world. It takes 2.260 kj to boil down one gram, and there is almost 4,500 grams in a gallon. To vaporize it all would take 613,972,800 gigatons or 1.467x10^26J. The Covenant vaporized a planet's (of bigger size than Earth) ocean in an hour. This would take 170.498 teratons a second, but since they used 36 ships (right?), it would be 4.736,055,556 teratons per second per ship.

A single ship in the Covenant does almost 5 teratons a second, so, HOW can Star Trek beat it? Oh yes, you just think Star Trek is better therefor it wins. Well, fact is, a ship can produce over 100 times what the Cardassian Dreadnought did *in a single second*. Halo is above Star Trek, and that's the truth.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  12. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

And Halo is relevant because HOW?

13. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Beats me. People keep bringing up Halo and WH40k, even though it's Star Wars vs Star Trek.

14. ricrery Banned Banned

It used to have an "other" option. Plus, SW vs ST is not working out at all.

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

No it didn't. It would still be up there.

16. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ever heard of flash freezing and flash boiling?

17. ricrery Banned Banned

I've never studied on them, and if I should have, I didn't pay attention. Enlighten me.

18. ricrery Banned Banned

The second thread?

19. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Sorry. OPs on vs threads are specific about their poll options.

20. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Sublimation, please tell me you know what that is....

21. ricrery Banned Banned

Oh. So why did Apocalypse bring it up?

22. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but I think he says that Star Trek can sublimate it instead of boil it.

23. ricrery Banned Banned

Well, they use NDF, which destroys a target even after it stops firing, but the Covenant use DET which blows those things up through the energy output.

Example: NDF would be a match, and DET would be a grenade. Both are capable of destroying a box, albeit through different ways. Now, if this box was made of tinfoil or steel, the match would be harmless, but the grenade wouldn't. That's why DET trumps over NDF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.