Star Wars and Babylon 5

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by nilkin, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's what I thought at first. How many episodes have you seen in order (ie. #12 then #13 then #14)? Personally I never liked B5, but then again I'm a young adult so I guess that would be why

Is Rangers the sequel series to B5 or something? Or is it a whole new series that's been spun off from B5?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Xelios

As I understand it, Rangers is a byproduct - a separate series, based upon B5

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Xelios, watch the Andromeda series and give us your perspective as an young adult. I think series are made for a specific target audience. EFC is designed for you, so you like it. That means, the producers are right on track.

We shall see if The Rangers are targeted to Adults or Young Adults...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Andromeda is the sorriest excuse for a Sci Fi series I've seen in a while. I've given it a fair chance and watched 3 episodes, all I can say is no more.

Lets see, a violent person who looks like a WWF wrestler (Tier, which by coincidence means Animal in German). A chronicly hyper computer whiz who at the same time acts like an idiot constantly. A purple woman that serves no purpose. An AI that you can't tell apart from a real person 90% of the time. And last, and least, a "captain" who constantly looks as if he is in a photo shoot.

All stuck in a black hole and "time warped" to the future, where their government doesn't exist any more. Wow, great plot.

That's my view on the show. What's your verdict?

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I would like to know

9. Crabbles Registered Member

It simply suffers from weak characters, poor plots and totally naff
    acting.
    Andromeda( the android that is) is a bit of fair eye candy but that's about it.

10. kmguru Staff Member

Have you ever had junk food? Loved it to eat but know that there is no nutrition value in it?

Need I say more....?

11. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yeah, except this junk food tastes horrible

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Im 18 and i would just like to say that I enjoy B5 alot, i started watching it when I was younger and it was just a new series right out of the crib. ive enjoyed it and i have enjoyed Legend Of the rangers. EFC is cool Ive liked it since I first watched, so that would make me a young adult right? Startrek isnt for just adults but teens to and Enterprise is for teens and adults. I like enterprise to. but im just a big scifi geek freak so what do i know?

13. kmguru Staff Member

You will enjoy more (B5) as you age. There are a lot of nuances and dialogs and philosophy that you will relate more as you experience life on this planet (internationally i.e.). As I watch 2nd or 3rd time, I pick up stuff, I missed the first time. I like B5 for its superior dialogs that are as good if not better than any Oscar/Nobel winning serious drama. The story arc is very forward looking too. Reminds me of HG Wells (Time machine) or Clarke (2001).

Combined with powerful story, human drama, and vision - it is the best of the best.

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

What drew me to B5 when i was younger was the action, just pure action; explosions stuff like that. But as I watched the show more I just fell in love with the characters. Epic characters that will never be forgotten for there deeds or what they had to overcome. Even if they are fake I still give a damn what happens to them and that is a great feeling.

15. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Kmguru

B5 is very definitely re-watchable; over and over again; for the reasons you state.

16. PharCyDE Registered Member

im in the process of watching through B5 in its entirety for the first time.. i havnt missed an episode once since they started from the first one sometime in early fall <thank god for my tivo>,
    while i already know whats going to happen, its still impossible for me not to watch, jus to see the events that lead up to the end, or see some part of the show in a new light....
    the whole shadow war was great, you see them building up for it from the pilot, lita's contact with the vorlons, delen's attitude toward the captain

the episode "deconstruction of falling stars" which was aired last week on the scifi channel, shows how the events would be viewed in the future, and how future generations would interpert them, and the future of the earth, one of the better episodes which is saying alot for any B5 episode ..

although one thing that always annoyed me, what happened with epsilon 3? the planet behind B5, they had access to the great machine there yet only used it in a couple episodes then seemingly forgot about it

does anyone know if legend of the rangers was just a movie, or the prequel to a series?

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Heres an interesting fact about the deconstruction of falling stars, it was originally ment to be the last episode but B5 got renewed and it countinued.

Legend of the rangers is not a prequel it takes place a few years after the events of the insteller alliance's birth.

Epsilon 3 isnt forgotten about. They choose to leave it alone because it needs to be left alone. Power like that shouldnt be used by anyone.

This site about B5 has quotes and episode interpretations, i still go to it to this day. They even rank each episode with a P5 rating and even have commentary from JMS (series creator)

You dont know everything thats going to happen some things may come as a shock to you.

18. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

counsllercoffee

Interesting link that, thanks.

Epsilon 3 isnt forgotten about. They choose to leave it alone because it needs to be left alone. Power like that shouldnt be used by anyone.

Heinz Beans also had the same effect on me!!! Sorry, could not resist that!

19. PharCyDE Registered Member

CounslerCoffee

thanks for the link, that would have been an intresting final episode, but all in all im really glad it aired for another season...

the comment about legend of the rangers being a prequel.. i meant not as a prequel to B5.. but was it a B5 movie like the others.. or more like a pilot for a rangers series...

20. kmguru Staff Member

The time travel technology came from Epsilon 3. Imagine if it would have fallen to the shadows...and their servants....that is why it was left alone but was used well a couple of times like Ivanova reaching out...

If JMS is asked to do a spin off, he could use it again if the plot calls for it.

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Ive heard various things about Legend of the rangers being a series. I personally hope that it becomes a series, the only thing us B5 fans have had sense B5 went off the air was Crusade, which was good but got cancelled.

Plus JMS is already working on another series called Jeremiah on showtime, see the thread that I started yesterday for more information.

22. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Just a thought......

Let us praise the "inventor" of the modern day video machine - and now the DVD machine - without which we could not watch endless repeats of B5 - quite happily.

23. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

But the only thing on DVD right now is "In the beggining" and "The gahtering" With no extra features and horrible resolution. The movies themselves are great but terrible resolution makes it looks like its on tape. I hope they bring all of the B5 series and movies to DVD i would buy every single one.