Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by USS Athens, Aug 29, 2007.

?

Which is better?

1. Star Trek

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Star Wars

48 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

40k would probably with through simple numbers. They have many, many millions of huge capitol ships (for an estimate see the codex from the Battlefleet Gothic game). I believe even the higher estimates for SW puts the imperial SD fleet in the tens of thousands. SW or ST could probably slaughter 40k ships day and night (assuming they are able to) without hardly making a dent in the numbers. Also, I'm pretty sure their FTL is at least as good as what the Federation seems to have, if not better. It doesn't take them decades to cross the galaxy, after all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

In Wars, we have references to Earth history that are out of place... Tartan Patrol Cruiser? WTF? And those English words on that tractor beam reactor in ANH? What about the evident uselessness of the Death Star given the impressive power of SDs and SSDs? Come on!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It's probably supposed to be assumed that they are "really" speaking some other language, and the movie is merely done in english so that the audience can easily understand them. Much like the way all the Spartans in 300 were speaking english rather than ancient greek, or the people in Gladiator were speaking english instead of latin.

According to the books, many of the major planets in SW had powerful planetary shields that would take a looooong time to bring down, even with a large fleet. That made it hard for the empire to control everyone. The Death Star was meant to be a "super weapon" that could easily punch through planetary shields and scare all the other star systems into line.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

So? I was talking about writing in English, not speaking in English. Planets in SW have planetary shields but canon wise a planetary shield is nothing that a couple of SSDs could not do. We can assume that "Millennium Falcon" and the other English names are literal translation from Galactic Standard but... What about the TARTAN?

8. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

It might be a singular solar system.

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I believe the exact quote was "inside a solar system," implying that there wasn't anything special about that particular system. Also, if the solar system that DS9 is located in has something special about it that prevents ships from going to warp, one would have to wonder why the hell they never mentioned it before then. After that one episode, the writers forgot about the idea and so far as I know never again tried to claim that there was a problem with going to warp inside a solar system.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It was also supposed to be a sort of ultimate symbol of Palpatine's power, so it probably had major symbolic/psychological reasons for existing as well. The guy was pretty insane with power, after all.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Are you kidding?

The Borg alone are proof that they have no regard to continuity. Originally Borg were the ultimate technology thieves. They stole any useful technology first then would assimiliate the living beeings. A process that was slow and required much surgery. The suddenly they gained the ability assimilate people through nanoprobesand acted in complete opposition to their normal MOS.

Voyager had a captain so stupid she could not conceive of the idea of sending her ship back to the Alpha Quadrant and staying behind with a shuttle and two tricolblat devices to take care of things.

Deep Space NineShowed Federation unwillingness to arm a critial defense station with anything better than basic weaponry. After discovery of the wormhole, There should have been a small fleet of protective vessels helping the station at all times.

The Definat seemed to changed length nearly and number of decks at least twice if not many times

12. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

And... A bunch of rebels with some Teddy bears easily defeated a legion of stormtroopers with sticks and stones. What about that brilliant exhaust port in the first DS? Ingenious... What about Jar Jar Binks? The Millennium Falcon had to be really near to the DS in order to help Luke... How did it get there? Are you kidding me? How many times the Empire has the chance to destroy the rebels in the original movies but they don't? The Voyager back to the Alpha quadrant? What are you saying? And writers are human beings, they make mistakes... Wars writers also.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  13. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

Errors are still there. Trek and Wars obviously aren't perfect.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I don't think anyone would claim either is perfect, but there are far, far more continuity problems with ST than SW. To be fair, that's probably partly because they've made a lot more ST, so there were more chances for them to screw up.

15. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

I agree.

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

In my opinion the continuity problems with ST is because they have a lot of different writers. And of course SW has 6 movies and the cartoons. ST has like 11 movies, TOS, the next generation, DS9, Voyager. Enterprise. all of wich have a lot of seasons. but then again I don't have a problem with the series continuity problems but for the movies i think they should have a better look at the previous ones don't ya think?
    and of course sci-fi is all about on-screen special effects.

Farscape has 4 seasons and a 3hour movie and you don't see continuityproblems there.

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Ask 500 basic infantry what they would rather face.

500 infantry on open ground or 50 SEALS and 1500 indigients in a rain forest. Every time you'll here "Bring on the Infantry. I want a chance at living."

The exhaust port in the first DS was an accidengt there was going to be no such port when DSII was completed.

And the Empire never had a chance at a full destruction of the Rebeelion. Just a slight majority of it. Remeber the Rebellion was wide network of people. The main battle element was in one area, but about 50% of the forses were spread across the galaxy doing their part.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Which acutally isn't true.

Given that in Enterprise, Regeneration shows that the Borg actually make ships out of stolen ships to build into massive cubes, something as large as the Enterprise D would have been a great deal of resources.

All in all, the Borg were vague in the first episode. The only continuity problem was when they gave it a queen and even that isn't that far out there.

That idea isn't any better.

She should have just used the aft launchers. But given that Voyager all in all sucks, no one really cares.

Yeah, because the fact that DS9 held off a small fleet of Klingon warships with just the Defiant is absolutely no indication that it was heavily armed. I mean, 5,000 photon torpedoes? child's stuff! Who cares if its about sixteen times the armament of a Galaxy class starship?

And by the way, yeah, the UFP did have ships nearby. The fact is, that it takes a small fleet to take a station like DS9. In order for the Dominion to take it, it would require a massive shift in their fleet positions to not only take it, but also hold it. They would need hundreds of ships.

In fact, during the first battle of the war, after Sisko abandoned the station, we see a small fleet joing the Defiant and Martok's ship to retake the station.

Ooh, VFX issues! Clearly evidence that ST writers are retarded, via evidence from the special effects section!:m:

19. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

We have a whole LEGION (if Palpatine is reliable) of imperial stormtroopers against some Teddy bears and 20 rebels here. 1500! You are just making shit up. True but it was a stupid thing nonetheless. It's really so difficult to destroy fleeing ships around Hoth?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an episode where they discovered some sort of freaky super-fast engine that could get them home quickly, discovered it had freaky side-effects on the crew, found a way to cure the side effects...and then just forgot about the whole thing? No one ever bothered to say "hey, uh, now that we have a cure and all...why don't use this thing to get our asses home???"

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

A "legion" (whatever that means) on the moon, but we don't know how many of them were in the immediate vicinity of the power generator where the fighting happened. Since the power station was in an underground bunker that seemed pretty safe, it's possible that most of them were protecting the big-ass dish that was actually generating the force field. In fact that would seem to be a fairly reasonable strategy, since it doesn't seem like the rebels would have been able to get in if they hadn't tricked the imperials inside into opening the door (which was itself unbelievably stupid, but oh well).

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

That was surely a big part of it, but I think the main problem was that the writers kept coming up with "one episode wonders" that are a big deal in the episode that introduced them, but then never got mentioned again in later situations where they would be incredibly useful. Like the "subspace transporter" that can transport things across lightyears AND magically transport things through shields. Wow, doesn't THAT sound pretty fucking useful??? It was used in one episode, and then inexplicably completely forgotten about.

23. NiccolòBrioschi Registered Member

An Imperial legion consists of roughly 8000 stormtroopers. I must agree again.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.