Star Trek, VI

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

So basically another fuck-up like Enterprise.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

I liked Enterprise. It was leaps and bounds ahead of Voyager (which really isn't saying much).

The deal is: Enterprise, Voyager and DS9 were all creations by an old guard of ST people (Rick Berman, Brannon Braga). The entire franchise is totally under new management. Paramount basically handed JJ Abrams the entire franchise and gave him a blank check to do whatever he wanted as part of a five movie enticement deal in order to get him to sign exclusively to produce for them.

We'll see around Christmas '08 how this gamble pays off.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

But. Can. Chris. Pine. Talk. The. Talk.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I think this trendy Shatner jibe is unfounded!

8. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I hated Enterprise and Voyager while they were ongoing but in retrospect they were both far better than no Star Trek at all (all these other sci-fi shows blow these days!!)

Anyway, I'm still having trouble with the Karl Urban pick.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know hollywood can really transform how people look, but even they have limits.

9. superstring01 Moderator

Even Bill Shatner has played on that very well earned stereotype for his Kirk role. By the time the got to the movies, he had improved the fluidity of his acting, but his acting in the TV show left much to be desired.

True, but that isn't the intention of Abrams. He wasn't looking for actors to be clones of the originals, just loyal to their image. These people aren't supposed to be "younger versions" of the originals, either. While he did try to keep a certain style in his choices (he actually chose a real Brit to play a Scotsman and a real Russian to play the Russian), the actors are given some leverage in refashioning the character to suit their acting style. As long as they keep to the gospel of WHO that character was and what they stood for, they have a certain freedom to make the character their own.

This movie, Abrams has stated, is totally loyal to what the original cast was, who they were as individuals, and what the show stood for in the Roddenberry-esque fashion, but is not intended to be a prequel or sequel to anything that has been shown. It is a total re-imagining of the entire franchise with modern effects and with current actors. While it is not a departure in the Battlestar Galactica fashion (total re-imagining of everything to the point where it was "Battlestar Galactica" in name only), it is a re-imagining of what it WOULD be if Roddenberry were alive to day, with younger actors and today's effects capacity.

~String

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Perhaps cuz he is just such a good sport. He was awesome

11. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Gods below... can't they just let it die ?

12. superstring01 Moderator

I love Bill Shatner. I loved the Comedy Central Roast of Shatner... and his Denny Crane character on Boston Legal is funny as hell.

You know, while we're on the subject, I have great admiration for the guy. He's kept himself totally relevant, he never got overly typecast, and he is a brilliant investor. Back when Priceline.com asked him to be the spokesperson, he declined to take money (he really didn't need it), so instead he took stock options for all his pay. Right now his ownership of that company is worth more than a quarter billion dollars-- and THAT is just his piece of Priceline.com. His Boston Legal contract has him at 25 million for five years.

The guy is great!

~String

13. superstring01 Moderator

NO!!! NOR SHOULD THEY.

Look. Trekkies are what Trek is made for... not common folk like you. And we Trekkies want Trek... and we want it now AND forever.

~String

14. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I watched a bit of that roast. The only part I thought was funny was Shatner's retort at the end.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

What??? Nick is banned... gee... what did he do now?

16. peta9 Registered Senior Member

ds9 and voyager rocked.

17. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

DS9 is my favorite.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I just hope this movie doesn't do a complete flop.. Like some of the others..

19. superstring01 Moderator

Mine too. I own the entire series on DVD.

~String

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Karl Urban has Mccoy??? more like kirk!!

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I loved the TNG movies.. they were cool, but as for series i'd say all three were equal, TNG was crap at first but got better.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

Funny...I thought Voyager had more bright spots than Enterprise.
    I often found myself rushing home to Voyager before 7:00 on Wensday Nights. (I always hated it when I missed the prolouge)

Even if I was disappointed by the episode, which happened more often than I liked to admit. I was always happy to see Janeway spare with Seven, Tuvok ignore Neelix and Neelix annoy "everybody" B'Elanna and Paris' relationship grow and fall. Even Chakotay who suffered from the first officer syndrome like Riker and Kira was still an intresting charater.

I found nothing intresting about the Enterprise Characters

Archer- bad acting and unconvincing as an authority figure (Opposed to Kirk with bad acting and completely convincing as a captain.

T'Pol- Let's just say they ruined vulcans with starting and ending with her.

Mayweather - Intresting and that's it. They never focused on him much.

Trip - Very likeable...a descent character. Coulda played McCoy.

Phlox - Nothing but a question mark species never before seen and I didn't like that..at all.

The british dude... Eh.... Didn't hate him and I didn't like him either.

As for what they screwed up in Enteprise...Practically everything they could.
    The Time Line: More ways than one.
    The progression of Trek Tech
    Vulcans:
    The Vulcan Human relationship
    Akira-prise...OMG

They simply tried too hard with Enterprise. The Borg..the stupid Ferengi The temporal Time War. The should have stuck to the pivotal points in Trek that did capture my intrest...The Eugenics War...The Klingon mutation. Even the Defiant incident was good...but it was too late and dead. In the end I like most watched because there was nothing else to watch and we didn't rush home to see it.

Then Nemesis came out and stunk up the fourth TNG movie in what was a short line of Stunk Films may TNG rest in peace.

Question...you said he's been given the Star Trek series...what are we talking here...just the one movie or are we talking series and movies for the future and he's agreed to stick around?

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Not to be a Correctol, but String, don't you mean Star Trek VII? Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country came out in 1991.
    Is this a movie or a new television series?