"Star Trek Movie" ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, May 8, 2009.

1. draqon Banned Banned

oh no...I did not miss him at all. Yeah I know he played in that movie the Guantanamo Bay

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

no I was saying that I thought he said that the old chinese gay dude was there...you know whats his name errr

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I thought he was actually Japanese. I guess my American ignorance is showing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

You mean they might make another series? That would be so awesome.

finally a star trek I could watch from the beginning. Instead of just reruns, where my mother can give away the ending.

I don't get why the original became such a huge phenomenon. I just watched a few episodes it's kind of boring and when it's not, it's cheesy. Not to mention the terrible interior decor of the Enterprise and the terrible fashion of the crew.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

yeah ok...Japanese oopsy

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I would say that they didn't alter those events because they had all already occured in their original timeline. They were on the lookout for any new alterations to the timeline that gave rise to them.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Did anyone notice that Chief Engineer Olsen was a red shirt? I knew he was toast when I saw him wearing read before the jump.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sulu was Japanese

George Takei was Japanese. Hikaru Sulu is a Japanese name, as well.

11. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

That, and he was too excited about the jump, so you could see his death coming. As for Spock's mother, I did not see Wynona Rider's death coming before it happened, and was curious about why she was at the big meeting of all the high cultural icons of the Vulcan people. (Actually, imagine the Earth were about to be destroyed...to what one place or group of people on Earth can you go to save the Earths "cultural heritage"? It seems convenient that they would all be gathered together during the crisis, extra concvenient that Spock's dad is on that committee, and especially extra convenience that his non-Vulcan mother attends the Vulcan heritage meetings.)

In any event her quick death distracted me from that line of thought. I am wondering if there will now be a Star Trek Reboot II: The Search for Spock . . . 's Mom.

12. draqon Banned Banned

Star Trek Re-birth: Kirks' sadomizing Spock's playdoll
    Star Trek The Gay Truth: Kirks affection for Spock
    Star Trek Babies

and for some neat Star Trek quotes:

"Kirk, making the Vulcan salute: How many fingers do I have up?
    Dr. McCoy: That’s not very damn funny."

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

According to the great wiki Sulu is not a japanese surname: its named after a sea.

14. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

A number of "flaws" superstring mentioned in this thread were actually not flaws...examples:

Vulcan's non-protected state could be attributed to Nero extracting security codes somehow...remember he waited 25 years for Spock to reappear in the linear timeline, lots of time to score an "unsolved" attack on a Vulcan capital ship. This was just not explained as thoroughly as Treks past.

The Red Matter appeared to be activated by massive amounts of energy...like that in a planet's core, or a supernova or a warp core breach. Dropping it in atmos would not be enough to cause a black hole.

And PS: Vulcan is the MOST important planet in the UFP, but it's the second most ACTIVE. Terrans might be flying helter-skelter, but without First Contact and Vulcan's help, Terrans wouldn't have been upgraded as quickly.

THAT being said...this reboot was sorely lacking in terms of the FEEL of Star Trek. To illustrate, Batman was relaunched...yet still kept the aura of past silver screen Batman movies even though Dark Knight was exactly that...a darker version. This Trek felt like it was mollifying the masses, attempting to draw Star Wars like fandom (the "who cares about the logic and storyline, shoot everything and look cool doing it" viewers). Why the hell would Spock have Kirk summarily ejected from the entire ship onto a frozen planet??? Why are Uhura and fricking SPOCK involved??? Why was there a pokemon helping Scotty??? Why indeed would Kirk have a penchant for old style internal combustion vehicles (although the cycle sounded like there was a different engine in it). There's a simple answer...it was all for the image.

Nuff said about the bad stuff. The movie was enjoyable as a fluff sci-fi movie in any event, with Pike's/Kirk's Enterprise pulsing with enough power to face down a 129 year advanced ship that dwarfed it probably 20 to 1 (never mind it was a mining ship, Nero had it armed with excellent missiles). Indeed, the original TOS Enterprise couldn't show the power that this one did (yes I realise it's due to the limitations of the time). Can't wait for the new Enterprise-D or the new Borg

The story (despite the holes left in the movie) is a great premise. Nero's timing on the jump to the past was excellent, having almost immediately killed Kirk's daddy...giving a possible plot sideline as to why the Time Police didn't or couldn't interfere (I'll take questions on that offline). Rebooting Trek with an alternate timeline Trek is genius that is unavailable to MOST fictions, and I've gotta bow to it.

And while the coolness factor is what may have failed it as a true hardcore Trek film, it is the same factor that causes it to be a success as a crowd-pleasing movie. Unfortunately, I saw it 4 days after it opened, and even Trek fans were lauding the movie....causing me great disappointment since I was also hoping to retain the feel of Trek past...

Ah well, time marches on...hopefully they get it right (or MORE right) the second time.

17. superstring01 Moderator

Horse shit. While the writers aren't required to explain every nuance, substantial variables are owed an explanation. A lack of one is less our ability to "fill in the blanks" and more the writers insult to our intelligence.

I guess I can fill in the blanks and just say that Q zapped the defenses away, I mean, it's not like there's proof otherwise!

Nope. The substance is kept inside a special containment field to prevent it from reacting to the matter around it. Furthermore, if your explanation is right, then just launch the shit into the upper atmosphere with a sizeable explosive. Problem solved.

I never said it was "THE MOST IMPORTANT". Where did you get that? I said, "Let me get this: Vulcan (the second most important planet in the UFP) doesn't have a starbase with ships ready to fight?"

I actually liked the reboot and no "Trek" ever feels like the others. People said the same thing about TNG and it ended up being the #1 show in syndication and the 10th most popular show on TV for three straight seasons. (People forget how big it was at its height)

I don't care about a "Trek" feel. And honestly, I loved how this movie "felt". I loved the emotional tenor. I really liked the destruction of Vulcan and I thought that the story ended up being a great one, overall.

Indeed. Well, we all know why! 'Cause he woulda' never met Alpha Spock!

Loved that part. Thought it was brilliant.

Egad. I couldn't agree more. What's MORE, is the audience cooed and giggled at that little fucking rat. How stupid! Do we really need a member of the Lollipop Guild in the goddamned movie!?

~String

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Enterprise-D,

Yes the movie was candy for the eyes and ears, and sawdust for the brain. I do believe though that it is possible to have a movie that appeases all three organs (Despite the extremely lacking of thought and reason in scifi-actions films of late) Remember the sci-fi of James Cameron, Aliens, Terminator I & II (any other Terminator is pure crap) and Abyss, sci-fis with eye candy, depth and seamless plots. I hope and this is a long shot hope, that now that they got the action down maybe the next one will have more depth and few plot holes, sort of like how The Dark Knight put Batman Begins to shame.

In the mean time I'm going to prepare a means of suicide for when the Cowboy Bebop movie comes out, a crying shame I tell you, god dam you Keanu fucking Reeves, that no talent hack could never be a good Spike Spiegel, after what Fox did to Dragon Ball we all know they are going to just murder cowboy bebop, pee on it and rub their asses on its grave! They are probably going to replace the epic sound trak with some horrific pop crap, GOD DAM THEM TO HELL! ... now what was I saying again?

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This new movie departs from the original one in so many ways it is like seeing a whole new movie again. I did not enjoy this one as I did the others for it seems that the thrust of this new movie wasn't at all about Star Trek but more about other things that the original one were trying to convey. There is no more exploration, only violence now. What a shame this new movie has taken the heart of what the series was first about away and replaced it with crap and utter useless nonsense. I was, to say the least, very disappointed in this new version of something I use to enjoy seeing. Another movie series that bites the dust, IMPO.

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Don't say terrible things like that! I don't want it to bite the dust, I'm praying for a new series or at least another movie.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The problem is that they are going into another direction with this new series, if it goes into a series that is, and the direction is DOWNHILL to me. I enjoyed the other Star Trek first movie for it didn't have a violent message but a message of hope and exploration. They should be ashamed of what they did to this movie. Sorry to bring you down, but this is what I thought about it.

22. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

But they are explorers that's all they do. That's what they were setting out to do as the movie ended. So I don't see why it would go downhill as long as the writers keep the story exciting. All of the other star treks I watched had plenty of battles in them.

23. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

No one liked Scotty's assistant? They had to have *someone* for Erin Esurance to save in the tie-in video game!