(SR) String Theory Q and A

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by BenTheMan, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Questions and answers about string theory here.

Moved from previous thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Also, the number of space-time dimensions is not an assumption of string theory. This is very important. Unlike in GR, the number of dimensions in string theory is a derived quantity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Bosonic string theory is a TOY theory, that is, it cannot describe nature because it has no fermions. So the fact that it is inconsistent (i.e. presence of a tachyon) is not a problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Also, string theory requires that the S matrix be unitary.

8. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Ben,
    I thought the S matrix was by definition unitary regardless of string theory. (Disclaimer: Unfortunately, I am no mathematician)

Possibly related general question:
    Does string theory need to be background independent? Has string FIELD theory been completely dropped?

9. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Er.... have I missed something? What is "the S matrix"?

10. draqon Banned Banned

initial state and final state of interaction of particles.

11. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Sorry to be dim, but I am no wiser. Do you think you could make this more comprehensible to ignorants like me? Like, a slightly fuller explanation?

12. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

I think f=Si where f is the final state and i is the initial state.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, perhaps I should say that the evolution is goverened by a unitary S matrix.

Well, there is a bosonic string field theory, which is fully background dependant, and has been solved recently by Martin Schnabl (I think I spelled his name right). So the objections that string theory is not background independant (cf Smolin's book) are not well-founded anymore, in my opinion. But I will freely admit to knowing very little about this subject.

As for whether or not string theory NEEDS to be background independant, I don't know. If this is the ONLY objection to string theory, then I don't think it is a particularly well-founded one. I have never understood how to understand ``space-time'' in string theory. We are all comfortable saying that GR is a classical theory, an effective description of gravity at long distances, and that the geometry of space-time governs how we understand the gravitational dynamics. But this is not true on the quantum level, as I understand it. On the quantum level in string theory, we have gravitons, not geometry. So I don't really know what background independance MEANS for string theory.

If AlphaNumeric or pbrane is following, I would like to hear your opinions on this, as mine are probably wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

The S matrix is the operator which governs the evolution of initial states to final states in a quantum field theory.

Ok, here goes. This is public, so you all will know how terrible a mathematician I am.

Let there be a vector space \(I\) consisting of vectors \(\left| i \right\rangle\) which describe the initial states of some system. There is a dual vector space, \(F\), consisting of vectors \(\left\langle f \right|\) which describe the possible final states of a physical system. There is a good inner product and basis, etc.

If we wish to find the probability that some initial state \(\left| i' \right\rangle\) evolves into some final state \(\left\langle f' \right|\) we take the inner product of these two states with the S matrix:

\(\left|\left\langle f'\right| S \left| i'\right\rangle\right|^2 = P_{i' \rightarrow f'} \)

I don't know if I've made this more clear or not...

15. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

So S is an operator S : I -> I.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

S maps I to F.

17. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

I'm lost, but I don't blame Ben, for this, I blame Dirac!

Ben: You state that the operator \(S:I \to F\) is a map from a vector space to its dual, fair enough - this is an isomorphism, right?

But earlier you wrote the form \(\left\langle f'|S|i' \rangle \). Dirac gives us no information about the vector argument of S. By this form, it must be either \(|i' \rangle \) or \(|f' \rangle \). Or is \(\left\langle f'|S|i' \rangle \) a bilinear form e.g. an inner product?

Even so, I do not understand the notation: if \( S: I \to F\), what is the justification for writing \(\left\langle f'|S|i' \rangle \), which implies that \(|i' \rangle \in I\), which is contrary to your opening assertion that \(|i \rangle \in I\).

How can this be? What elements of \(I\) is \(S\) operating upon; is it \(|i \rangle\) or \( |i' \rangle\)? How are these guys related?

Or have I wildly missed the point?

18. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

I think S maps I to I because then you can make the duality pairing <f,Si>. Anyway, it is not important in case of Hilbert spaces since F is isometric to I via the Riesz representation theorem.

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ahh I should have made my notation more clear. I just wanted to be clear that i' was some other vector (like i) living in the space I. I feel like a child wearing my fathers boots when talking about math like this.

You are correct. I should write

\(\left\langle f|S|i \rangle\).

Apologies all around.

Also, I think temur is correct in this point: