SR Problem

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Aer, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Aer Registered Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the object would only "look" it's proper length if the depth is the same as the length. The "rotation" makes visible the side of the object.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Aer:

Well, you wrote:

So, I replied, telling you that you can't "always just ignore the rotated region". And therefore, it follows that Terrel rotation is not "basically useless" in "any analysis on special relativity", as you said.

Maybe you meant something different to what you wrote. I was just responding to what you wrote.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aer Registered Senior Member

Well, the rotated region will always be there - it wasn't that I meant that it is a negligable factor, but rather that you can separate the rotated region from the front region. Thus "ignore" the rotated region by cutting it out of the picture. I think we just applied the word "ignore" in different contexts. I just explained above what context of ignore I meant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Whom do your refer to "We" that know muon experiment but agree with you that length contraction is just explanation but not scientific proof?

If (1) constancy of c and (2) time dilation at relatvistic velocities have scientific proof, there is only one scientific explanation that is a valid proof for any real scientist :

muon's proper length should be less than that of earth's proper length for the obserer on earth. The only tool he has, to understand this, is LT equations.

You can consider any explanation from from local ether to little invisible green-peas that push muons faster than light. That depends on your knowledge on what constitutes a scientific proof.

Side note for JamesR :

I noticed you have deleted the ad hominems for good. You should have noticed how this _____________ (fill in the blank with un-printable filthiest abuses you can imagine) Aer, started responding with ad hominems even for unprovoking posts when corned with questions.

here for my post on page 13 :

he responded with abuse :

The ignorant __________ does not know what constitutes a scientific proof and what does not. and does not know what is length contraction at all in the first place.

I won't hesitate to call names if this ____ continues with un-scientific filth, it is upto you to prevent that. Thanks.

8. Aer Registered Senior Member

What part of "We all agree that length contraction is used to explain the muon experiment per special relativity." do you not understand? Length contraction is a result of special relativity and therefore, when time dilation is explained per SR, length contraction is inherently included in the explaination.

It is amazing what you consider to be scientific proof.

The constancy of c is scientifically proven in the Earth frame, in the vicinity of Earth's gravitational field. This is consistent with the local ether theory which does not include length contraction. Time dilation is also consistent with the local ether theory. Your analysis of the situation does not hold water.

I am not going to respond to the rest of your post which amounts to you whining and attempting to hold hands with James R. If you can't grasp anything that requires actual thinking on your part - that is not my fault and I really don't care what you choose to believe.

9. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

My question is who are these "We" ? Most of the posters don't agree with you that length contraction is a mere explanation by SR not a scientific proof. Except few who don't believe in anything that is remotely scientific.

Time dilation and constancy of c is not just explanation of SR, they are experimentally backed-up. Length contraction is based on these facts and is a valid scientifc proof by all means. Can't discern what is scientific what is speculation?

duh.

except that no scientifc proof for ether, local or otherwise. discerning what is scientific requires some study indeed.

I know i am wasting my time anyway.

10. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

I don't require any "We" to appear more authentic. Real science would speak for itself.

11. Aer Registered Senior Member

Only YOU argue that the muon experiment is proof of length contraction! How about you try to find out who agrees with you that the muon experiment alone is proof of length contraction. If you need references, you only need to search these forums, I've provided links to other papers that say something to the effect "At the time of writing this paper, there has been no experimental proof of length contraction".

Constancy of c in all directions is experimentally backed-up only in the Earth frame AFAIK.

The local ether theory can be equally backed up by the experimental facts that we have.

I know that there is no scientific proof of a local ether which is why I do not consider the theory any better than special relativity. There is also no proof that a local ether does not exist, which is why I do not consider special relativity any better than the local ether theory.

12. Aer Registered Senior Member

Read my reply, I mentioned that other people, who have written papers on physics have made the same claim. I've linked to those papers in this very forum, but I don't have the links on hand.

13. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Anyone who agrees with constancy of c and time dilation have no other valid option than length contraction. I would like to hear otherwise from them, if any.

The people referred in your first quote are most probably the same people referred in your second quote who putforth the ether theory. You are pitting crank theory(s) against a theory that has a strong scientific foundation and questioning science with the bias towards speculation. What a pitty?

That proves already that there is no local ether effect even around earth. With ether effect is non-existent here, there is no reason to argue it would be there up, there down, etc. What else could be responsible for a varying c? AFAIK, nothing.

Why don't you just give a small brief & link to these 'experimental facts' instead of telling me to go, search and read rhetoric studded with abuses?

14. Aer Registered Senior Member

Ha! BAD ASSUMPTION on your part. There is no mention of length contraction in the "local ether" theory. Not in the abstract, the introduction, results, coclusions, anywhere! (I searched for length and contraction both separately to find any reference, there was none). The claims of no experimental evidence of length contraction comes from other analysis of relativity that has nothing to do with local ethers. You might want to check your facts before you post.

Everything you posted is your opinion and/or ignores points I already brought up. Edit: or proves your ignorance.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  15. Aer Registered Senior Member

You forgot to mention that the constancy of c was assumed to be in all frames even though it has only been measured in the Earth frame. Local ether theory is consistent with the constancy of c in the Earth frame.

16. Aer Registered Senior Member

One need not read anymore than this! Proof enough of your ignorance. Local ether theory predicts the Constancy of c in all directions from the Earth frame.

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Yeah, replace ether with "intelligent invisible photonoids that would push and pull (give maths too) photons in such a way that photons velocity appear to be c in all direction from earth". You have your own theory against SR. Best of luck, here.

18. Aer Registered Senior Member

Ha! It appears you are looking at a so called "ether" that is compatible with SR - i.e. length contraction and all that good stuff not experimentally seen still holds true. Local ethers assume different results from relativity. Therefore experiments can be done to verify one or the other. Whatever crap you just proposed above would be an "ether" indistinguishable from relativity and I agree - that is a load of horseshit!

19. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

It is more ethereal than SR. Look hard.

Talk is cheap. Give those prized experiments a try here.

20. Aer Registered Senior Member

No experiment has been done! That is what I keep telling you. The experiments would provide theoretically different results as the theories are not indistinguishable! But all experiments done to date on special relativity, do give the same results if you consider special relativity or local ether. Experiments that would observe any of the following directly would rule out a local ether: length contraction, relativity of simultaniety, reciprocity.

21. MacM Registered Senior Member

Aer, you may choose to continue to argue with everneo but you might find the following information of more interest and useful than trying to offset fiat and rhetoric. Dr Dowdye is a NASA Physicist and has written extensively. The following is a link to some of his work.

He has demonstrated that one can mathematically account for all major relativity tests and observations using classical physics, Galilean Electrodynamics and Euclidean Space - NO RELATIVITY.!

http://www.extinctionshift.com/details.htm

22. Aer Registered Senior Member

I do not find his website that credible.

What is his name? I cannot even find that on the website.

Edit: No doppler effect? You surely are kidding...

23. MacM Registered Senior Member

I agree his presentation lacks the usual format however:

http://www.extinctionshift.com/BackCover1.htm

Dr. Dowdye, Jr. is a NASA Phd with considerable publications.

************************* Background ***********************
    Discourses & Mathematical Illustrations Pertaining to the Extinction Shift Principle under the Electrodynamics of Galilean Transformations
    Price: $23.96
    by Dowdye Jr, Edward H.
    ISBN: 0-9634471-5-7
    Usually ships within 1 business day.

Publisher: EDWARD HENRY DOWDYE JR.
    Publication Date: January 1st, 1920
    Copyright: 2001
    Edition: 2nd ed.

Reiter's Comments:

The book summarizes manuscripts that illustrate the solutions to physics problems that made Relativity famous, obtaining the exact mathematical equivalence to Relativity but without any use of Relativity whatsoever.

About the Author The author was born in Washington, DC and has B.S. degrees in Mathematics, Electronics, and Technology with further studies in Physics from Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. He has the degree of Diplom-Atomphysik (Atomic Physics) from Physikalisches Institut der Universität Heidelberg, Germany. Supported by the German Academic Exchange {Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst Bonn-Bad Godesberg}, he did his research in experimental atomic physics, specifically in the area of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance where he used techniques of optical pumping {Kernresonanzmessung durch optisches Pumpen} with further studies in Astronomy and Astrophysics at Heidelberg. He worked in Government and Aerospace for a number of years and later returned to academia. While working as an instructor of Physics, he was awarded a grant from the Preparing Future Faculty Program at Howard University, in Washington, DC, where he obtained the Ph.D. in Laser Spectroscopy Physics at the Laser Spectroscopy Laboratory, supported by the Center for the Study of Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Atmospheres.

The author has an extensive background in the physical sciences and communication systems engineering, dealing with the propagation of electromagnetic radiation, high data rate satellite uplink and cross link relay communication systems. He is a devoted role model and mentor for future scientists.