Spin off thread: satire versus insult

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Baron Max, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You'll understand this is a personal opinion.

One has no choice in being black or white or Asian or whatever. (And it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which you are.)

One can choose to be a creationist. Choosing willfull ignorance is an abomination. If evil exists, then such a choice is evil. So you'd better believe me when I say that merely ridiculing a creationist is letting them off pretty lightly. Alternative suggestions are probably illegal.

And further, for the record, I am not an atheist.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Ridicule, yes. Not on this website perhaps, because of the rule against personal insults, but certainly in a society that honors free speech.

Intolerance, no, within limits. We're all free to choose our friends and the social groups we join, but civilization by definition requires that we be civil to each other, which is a minimal level of tolerance that allows the other person to live his own life in the contemporary definition of freedom.
    We're not required by the rules of civilization or this website to love each other, and in fact we're free to hate, although there are limits on the expression of that hatred both in civilization and on this website. Tolerance and compassion, again, yes; or to be precise, civility, which is a measured minimum level of both of those. Understanding... well hey that's something you either can do in any individual case, or you can't. I can't understand what people like about grand opera or Japanese court music, and many of them can't understand what I like about reggae or heavy metal. I don't think that lack of understanding is a big problem for them, me or civilization.
    I echo the previous member who pointed you to a dictionary definition of "personal." Insulting a group is not the same as insulting an individual member, especially since almost everybody who has negative feelings about any group makes exceptions for individuals, as in: "Some of my best friends are Jewish." Based upon that commonplace dichotomy, one could cop a legal plea that just because one says generically that the people of Berzerkistan are fools doesn't automatically imply that one feels that way about the one Berzerkistani who posts on this forum.
    Racism falls under a different rule on SciForums, not just one more category of personal insult. It's specifically prohibited both at the group and individual level.
    This is a place of science, and religion is unscientific at best and antiscientific at worst. This is one of the few havens we have where we can speak freely about the idiocy of religion; they have many of the other ten zillion websites to spew their ignorance, illogic and tribalism that periodically threaten to bring down civilization. Negative remarks about religion are tolerated here, especially if they are specifically about religion's unscientific stance, or in the case of evolution, the downright antiscientific stance of the Religious Redneck Retard Revival that has been spreading across America like a cancer for the past thirty years.

You betcha. Fuck that stoopid bullshit. They say the same kinds of things about us among themselves, and often to our faces. Perhaps with less profanity but that's hardly the point.

We make no claim to be tolerant of religion here, but we still don't allow individual personal attacks against religious people.
    He'll remind you that we have a hard-and-fast rule against racism that is one of the quickest ways to get banned. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that it's something we all have to accept if we want to post here. Allowing racist posts is an easy way to get blocked out of myriad corporate and family computers by their filters.

You know this, Max. You're lapsing back into your trademark disingenuous style of argument. This puts you in the same category with Sam, who pretends not to know things in order to stir up trouble.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is that a personal insult, Fraggle? Or are you going to make some long, drawn-out post trying to explain why it's not a personal insult? ...which is against the rules at sciforums. ...of which you are a moderator?!

I'm working on a really good post ridiculing a group of people in the same format as James R used to ridicule creationists. I think it'll be a hit ...until James deletes it and then bans me, of course.

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

He was describing your BEHAVIOUR, not YOU as a person.

8. copernicus66 Banned Banned

Interesting. Do atheists 'choose' to be atheists?

You don't 'choose' your beliefs, you either believe something or you don't.

9. Roman Banned Banned

Of course he's trolling. Max's issue, and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, is not a per se one of evolutionists knocking creationists. I imagine the cranky old coot has as little tolerance for the religious as he does for namby-pamby liberals. His issue is what he perceives as hypocrisy on James' part, especially as head moderator, over James telling him that insulting people is Bad, unless you target groups that are ok to insult. I suppose Max is protesting at the petty tribalism James stooped to, by being both an avowed liberal pussy, yet considering creationists enough of an outgroup to caricaturize and mock.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think that describing a particular behavior is more of an accusation than an insult. I notice you have not denied being disingenuous. Sam never did either. It's difficult for a person to defend himself against someone saying he's inferior, or an idiot, or something like that. Those are pure insults. But if someone says you're disingenuous, that's an assertion. Feel free to abide by the scientific method and rebut it.
    As I said, it's policy here to permit religion (but not religious individuals) to be insulted. This is a community and that's one of our community values. Don't extrapolate that to something else or you might get exactly what you expect. Particularly a racial group.
    Many do, or at least they come to it through maturation and reasoning. I was an exception. I was born into a second-generation atheist family and never heard of religion until I was seven. Laughed my fuckin' head off the first time some little kid started talking about it. I thought he was just making up a fun story. When I told my mother about it and she got real sad and sat me down to explain that there are actually adults who believe that preposterous crap, I was shocked to the core. I lost a lot of my faith in humanity and was an uncompromising cynic for many years. I did manage to get over it. Perhaps some day Max will too.
    That is not how science works. We believe things that have been proven "true beyond a reasonable doubt": canonical scientific theories. We may have hunches about other things, especially our own pet hypotheses, and strongly suspect they are true, but that's not the same as "belief."
    As I said, this is a place of science and our charter is to abide by the scientific method. One of its cornerstones is the Rule of Laplace: Extraordinary assertions must be presented with extraordinary support--evidence, reasoning, something--before we are obliged to treat them with respect.

Religionism in general, and creationism in particular, have not even ordinary support, much less extraordinary. The "evidence" provided by so-called creation "scientists" is a collection of fossils carefully selected to make a fraudulent point, and poorly-reviewed papers from third-rate universities.

We are truly not obliged to treat evolution denial with respect. That doesn't mean we are required to treat it with disrespect, but neither are we prohibited from doing so. Especially when so much of it is a mix of dishonesty, willful ignorance, and misuse of words. (Many creationists use "evolution" to mean "abiogenesis," and by now they've got no excuse for not knowing the difference.)

All together now: FUCK RELIGION and FUCK EVOLUTION DENIALISM.

11. copernicus66 Banned Banned

Coming to adopt an opinion through maturation and reasoning does not mean that you chose that belief. You don't wake up one morning and think "Hmm, today I'll choose to lack a belief in God.", you either believe or you don't.

My 'conversion' to atheism was gradual. After being withdrawn from a Catholic schooling environment and spending some time in a secular environment, I one day came to the startling realisation that I no longer believed in all that God stuff. There was no conscious 'choice' on my behalf to change my beliefs, it just happened after spending some time away from indoctrination.

In fact, this is one of the argument's against Pascal's Wager. Even if it is statistically 'safer' to believe in God, atheists such as myself would point out that we can't force ourselves to believe in God simply to cover our asses. Likewise, if God came down from the heavens and appeared in front of me, I couldn't choose to no longer believe in a God, I'd automatically become a theist.

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Sorry James I do advocate descrimination against anti-evolutionists if they decide to teach their rubbish in public schools, then I think they should be tarred, feathered and locked in their churches.

Baron since when have you become so sensitive to ridicule? Son I spent a good deal of yesterday trying to ridicule you nevermind the dinky ideas you rode up on...heeheehee

Truly though, this place is becoming too complicated, I remember when we insulted each other and just moved the fuck on now everyone here has or needs a lobbyist. Wouldn't it be grand if an ACLU lawyer were permanently based on sciforums to protect the jews, blacks, muslims, homos and creationists alike?

Also needed is a in-house babysitter and therapist.

13. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

Good lord, no. No one would be allowed to have an opinion on anything at all.

Unfortunately, Lucy, the site itself has resolved to ensure it is like the vast majority of similar ones on the net, and is in the process losing the very things which once made it a pleasurable place to spend time.

The problem is that the weak, the timid, the cowardly and those who believe that social order should revolve around the lowest common denominator are by far more numerous than those who believe otherwise, and also now occupy the majority of positions of power.
    Thus, they are becoming more and more correct as time passes.

It would be a great shame to lose someone of the Baron's ilk, whether you agree with him or not, in order to please a majority who appear to have nothing to say, no capability of understanding complex viewpoints, and regard a high post count or a wikipedia quote as proof of intelligence.
    There have been far too many characters lost from this site in recent years, replaced by.... what there is now. At the current rate of attrition, I'm surprised there is anyone interesting left here at all.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Fraggle: This is a place of science, and religion is unscientific at best and antiscientific at worst

Well then why is there an entire forum dedicated to the subject? Not to mention science fiction...And dare I say it? Freethoughts

Why are there entire threads or polls dedicated to 'Who's the superior master Yoda or Gendalf'? Humm? Where is the science in that? What rubbish!

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Meursalt: It would be a great shame to lose someone of the Baron's ilk, whether you agree with him or not, in order to please a majority who appear to have nothing to say, no capability of understanding complex viewpoints, and regard a high post count or a wikipedia quote as proof of intelligence. There have been far too many characters lost from this site in recent years, replaced by.... what there is now. At the current rate of attrition, I'm surprised there is anyone interesting left here at all.

Here, Here!! I can well agree with that.

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I suppose if you are brain dead and incapable of independent thought this would be true.

Wait a minute. Didn't you just note on another thread, or post that we were - unusually - in agreement. If the above post is typical of your thinking I can understand why it struck you as so unusual.

17. Bells Staff Member

How do you know that?

Recent years you say? You have only been a member here for just over 10 days.

I have to admit, I am loving the dedication shown by certain new members these days. I mean here you are.. only joined less than 2 weeks ago and you appear to have gone through the ban list and read through the posts of those who have been banned and determined the superiority of said banned members. I take my hat off to you. That is dedication!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

And that is a huge assumption, considering all it takes to change a user name is a different email address.

19. copernicus66 Banned Banned

So you choose to lack a belief in little green men? If you wished it, you could chose to believe in little green men? Impressive!

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Impressive is my middle name.

21. Bells Staff Member

Indeed.

If email addresses were the only things that mattered.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But carry on. I just found your comment amusing in light of your join date, that is all.

22. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

We're even, then.

I find it amusing that your supposition that I am a new member is based on nothing more than a post count.
    As if post counts were the only thing that mattered.

But carry on.

23. Bells Staff Member

Date. Not post count. Date.

Well the alternative is that you have been reading these forums for years, without ever participating. Which is a bit strange, don't you think? Staying in the shadows and watching for so long without once saying a word, or even becoming a member.

This is turning into a possible drama and you are getting cranky. Please, forget I said anything. Shine on..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.