Special Lessons for Christians

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by TruthSeeker, May 28, 2002.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev,

I was talking about Zarathustra's quote...

About the quotes you cited from the Bible...
    Do you know a figure of speech called Personification?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

tomzyk,

"Good" is in the absence of belief, beneath the lies that our minds create. "Evil" is what our mind create when we lie to ourselves... and to others...

I was not forced to go to church. I went since last year... by myself.
    In other hand, I agree with you that many people are forced to do so.

Love,
    Nelson

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

The quote in my sig? That's from Zarathrusra.

These quotes do not refer to personifications - they were thought to be physical entities.

I point you to Lilith for the OT mythos - they obviously regarded such demons as real entities. I also point you to Azazel, described in 2 Chron 11:15. Another demon who cannot be regarded as a personification, in light of Jewish mythology.

Nor are the NT quotes personifications. Jesus is recorded as having cast demons out of the sick and sending these demons into a herd of pigs, which then drowned themselves (Mat. 8:28-32).

Demons attack Jesus and Paul in Acts 8:15. Again, these are not personifications.

In later Christian mythology, demons and the devil play an even bigger role. See this entry in the Skeptic's dictionary for background. I also recommend Carus "The History of the Devil and the idea of evil" (which can be purchased through that link) and a book that is simply titled "Satan" whose author I forget.

While you may interpret such things as personifications, Nelson, your interpretation is not borne out when we consider Scripture in light of its cultural context. But then, you regard this as fact, not mythos, so where are we!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Depends on what you concider a Spirit. If metaphorically, God and Devil are just ideas. If literally, God and Devil are real.

I do believe that God is a great conscience and Devil is limited conscience, though. As I said, we have to begin with ourselves, so we have to focus on conscience...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.