Speaking about Children vs Yourself

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I don't get this. People will label someone as self-centered and conceited if they brag about themselves, yet it's OK for people to brag about their children. It's a double-standard. I had a colleague to tell me that I am so self-centered because I always talk about myself and my response was just that. I said that all I ever hear is him talking about how intelligent his son is, the sports he is playing, the awards he has won, yet it's not OK for me to talk about presentations I am giving, industry recognition I have received, and awards I am winning. I don't have children and never wanted any, so of course I talk about myself and my wife a lot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why do you feel it isn't OK to talk about yourself? Did someone tell you so? I'd say that if you were tactful in telling others about your accomplishments, meaning don't gloat over them, then there's nothing wrong in patting yourself on the back ...every now and then. It is when people are always bringing up their accomplishments to other that it gets to be rather obnoxious and dull. By asking others about their accomplishments first will then lead you to an open door to share yours to them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Get a dog. When your friends start telling you about the cute things their children did and you respond by telling them about the cute thing your dog did last night, they will quickly learn to stick to other topics.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As for your presentations, awards, etc... Just avoid bragging, period. If someone asks you about your job or your career, then of course give them some interesting highlights--but only highlights unless they are really interested and ask for more detail.

But otherwise try not to appear conceited. We all believe that our stuff is really important, and it is, but only to us.

But back to children. Humans are programmed to be very focused on their children, for the obvious reason that in our species it takes the young a decade and a half before they can be trusted to use their own judgment and skills to function in society for short periods of time. Baby whales grow up in only two years and even baby elephants take only five years. Human parents are really screwed! Being a parent is such a monumental job that we are one of very few species that remain alive long after we lose the ability to procreate. The evolutionary reason for this is that we need grandparents and everybody else to share the load!

So try to be kind to your friends who are parents. (I understand, I never had any kids either and at 70 I'm still quite pleased with how that worked out.) Try to help them do a good job. Because, in a sense, in our species everybody is everybody else's parent.

You missed that part of his post. Someone did indeed tell him that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.