SOUL - Who? What? Where?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Sep 8, 2006.

?

Who has a soul?

1. Every organism (micro-organisms, trees, worms, bugs, fish, animals, humans)

15.8%
  2. Not every organism - not trees and perhaps not bugs but definitely humans and animals

5.3%
  3. Only humans and their evolutionary counterparts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only humans

2.6%
  5. With or without a soul, it's an illusory designation that expires upon approaching the absolute

10.5%
  6. I have no basis of conviction for such "souls", hence this thread topic bears no relevance to me

65.8%
  1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Cris

Many people, even scientists, say the same thing about atheism

and hoping to down load your brain on a computer to live for ever is not a vain hope?

On the contrary, even primitive jungle religion is more advanced than your limited concepts of growth

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

New concept? Hardly

Even humans can perform algorithms.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The reduction of consciousness to mechanistic functions is bereft of even a vocabulary, what to speak of a methodology.

Actually it is interesting that you reject the "fancifulnes" of theism but ar e forced to take shelter of some other doctrine that is equally as fanciful

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Neural networks, electricity and micro biology does not explain personality, emotions, feelings, thoughts, memories, etc.

All you see are the effects of these things, not the causes.

People can easily become brainwashed again. Just because you moved to the other side doesn't mean you've found the truth. You became an atheist because you saw that your beliefs were naive, but if you rediscover THE REAL God and inner spiritual realms, you might turn into a theist again. I was once an atheist like you.

tears are the blood of the soul. because the soul is invisible, the blood is invisible. the blood comes from the eyes, because like everyone knows-- if we look someone in the eyes, we see their soul.

that's why animals don't cry the same way as humans, because their souls are not as developed.

just because there is no need (or because you don't understand why there is a need) for a soul, doesn't mean there isn't one!!

you can say that the world is only spiritual (inside the mind) or only material (outside the mind).
    consciousness (me and the outer world) is a duality.

what is this who you're talking about? there is only one existence, one life, one self, in infinite bodies. the fruits fall from the tree on autumn, but the life (spirit, breath) does not dissapear, because when the tree breathes outwards, the fruits, bodies, appear again. i, the life, is in all of the fruits, but i come from the tree, which comes from the earth, and so on, ad infinitum (nothingness, God). i am omnipresent.

It's your concept of God which is naive. If I saw God as you did, I couldn't believe in it either!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fathoms Banned Banned

The concept of the soul is redundant. I'd like to live forever just like the next guy, but the idea that consciousness would at all resemble even superficially the minds of humans is a terrifying prospect. We are animals, we have specific psychological traits that would be detrimental to an immortal. The basic drives (eat, sleep, procreate, survive) would have no place in an afterlife. Those are psychic garments that have specific, quantifiable evolutionary use. Outside of the context of mortality they become extrenous attributes that can only hinder. How are we to retain psychological health if nothing we do perfoms any necessary function? It's life's transience that gives us meaning, that defines our charactor. Our emotions are designed to help us to avoid danger, form familial and communal bonds, persue happiness and to empathize and form attatchments. This just shows how superficial the 'soul' really is. It's not needed explain mortal life, and there is no reason to think that any part of the us that is here and now should go on surviving past death.

Consider the way the mind works. 10,000 mostly useless thoughts a day running through our heads, the ability to conceptualize only in very limited fashion , emotional neurosis and attatchment, the inability to expand your mind beyond the boundaries set out by the grey matter in our skulls. It's ridiculous to think that any part of us would go on past death. For what purpose? I could not imagine the horror of being trapped in my limited conscious personality forever. Do we at least get to sleep in the afterlife?

8. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Why are you in that specific body at this specific time? What is the mechanism that determines which physical body your consciousness is attached to? If there are several consciousnesses, what prevented you from being born as me? Or someone else of the billions of people on this planet?

We're not trapped in one personality. You create your own personality with your thoughts. When the body has died, we (consciousness) are born into a new body, with a new brain and everything. Nothing about this life will be remembered, just like you don't remember the life before this.

But I think it's very likely that we will be conscious forever. That doesn't sound comforting to me, but at least we don't remember our past lives, so we can always hope that there is an eternal rest/death/nirvana.

9. Plunkies O&A Pest Registered Senior Member

This guy is pure comedy. You realize you sound like a child right?

10. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

People often say: show me proof and then I'll believe it.
    But the thing is: you get the proof when you believe it.
    It works the other way around.
    If you don't believe it, you're not gonna believe me; you're not gonna believe any proof that I would be able to show you.
    So there's really no point.

I am consciousness, everyone is the same consciousness... my body is just one among the its infinite bodies... my body (any of them) is like a character in a videogame which I control. It's not me, the real me is the one consciousness, and the entire world are it's manifestations.

sure... but i think children often say intelligent things...

11. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Consciousness is actually generated by a 4000-year-old blind druid called, um, Neshyar, living high in the mountains of Nepal, using a machine adapted from an old-fashioned bellows.

I'll show you the proof of this when you truly believe it.

12. Plunkies O&A Pest Registered Senior Member

If you had said something intelligent I wouldn't have told you that you sound like a child.

13. Vega Banned Banned

The idea of a soul, or that there is an afterlife, is an ancient, if not immortal thought in and of itself, throughout the history of mankind. As archaeologists and other scientists peruse our past through artifacts and writings and buildings, religion and the afterlife have been recurring themes in almost every, if not every, culture. Ideas that there were gods, goddesses, and deity's that watched over us, showed pleasure or displeasure of our actions, sending harvests and plagues at a whim... and that one day, after our bodies perished, our soul would either be sent back to another earthly body, or be face-to-face with the god(s) to either be rewarded or punished.

So... where does that leave us? Why, again, do we derive a part of ourselves to be immortal when all our senses tell us all things pass away?

One of the most fundamental immaterial things about us, as people, is the ability to think. The ability to construct complex "thoughts" are quite immeasurable (despite what proponents of standardized testing would have you believe). They cannot be weighed, touched, smelled, heard, or seen. We can try to gauge how well our mind can process certain types of thought, but thought itself? Completely immaterial.

So the marriage of our physical selves with our nonphysical abilities and proof's of existence is certainly something that has been around for quite some time. But, while we can "think," and certainly our physical world shows proof of our abilities to do so, what cannot be shown, or has yet to be proven, is the "proof" or "ability" to live on past our physical bodies...

Most people, when they think of "I," or themselves, identify themselves through personality traits (i.e., I am caring, I am funny, I am shy...). People are their personalities. And your personality is your brain. But most people think of their brain as part of the mortal, or material, world. Not as their soul. And the soul is always intrinsically defined as that part of you, or you yourself, which will continue to live on after death, which in default includes your shyness, your funny bone, your dry wit. But if your brain is actually in control of these parts of ourselves which we deem as immortal, what is left for the soul to actually do or be?

The idea of afterlife only exists because, being as we cannot comprehend not existing, we therefore imagine a life for afterward, because we cannot fathom not thinking, not feeling, not existing. We cannot fathom not existing, and therefore, we must continue to exist even when all we know and all we see disappears or goes away...

Hence, the idea of a soul. Because, we know our bodies fail us. (Mine is failing me right now with a mid-summer cold!!) So we needed something separate from that, something that didn't depend on our bodies to carry us over to the great afterlife, the eternal bliss we imagine must be...

14. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

I can't believe that no one responded to this post.

15. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

only IF IT IS TRUE, i will get the proof-- not from you... but i will discover it myself, once i start believing that.

belief does not work without proof and proof does not work without belief!!

because we've only seen outside things pass away. we haven't seen what death is when experienced from the inside.

everything that we can imagine is possible, otherwise we wouldn't be able to imagine them. but we can't imagine non-existence, because it is impossible. it does not exist!

why is it strange? it has only been there for a couple of hours!!

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

What you failed to establish is why thhis desire is falsely met

For instance there is the argument that we have no experience of anything that vast numbers of the population desire that does not actually exist - (like we desire water, perhaps more desperately in the desert, and water exists - similarly we desire love, friendship, food etc etc and all these things are seen to exist)

basically it is the teleological argument that this universe and our minds are designed in very specific ways to interact, and if there is an observable phenomena that is seen to manifest in our desires in vast numbers of the population in all periods of time, then the fundamental principle of that desire exists.

In other words the next life is a very real thing - whether you take your funny bone or dry wit with you is another thing

17. Plunkies O&A Pest Registered Senior Member

I can't imagine something billions of miles away but the stars still exist. I can't imagine something a tenth of a millionth of a millimetre across but atoms still exist. Wtf are you talking about?

18. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

I can imagine that the universe is infinitely large, but I can't imagine there being a boundary where space itself suddenly stops existing. So, I think the universe is infinite. It's also easy for me to imagine that the universe is made of infinitely small "particles" (nothing)

I can even imagine pink flying elephants...

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Of course you can .....you just wrote it out for all of us to read it!

Baron Max

20. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

theres no souls,if there were dont you think we all could comunicate with any/all the dead,since these are allegedly souls/spirits

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

we do. Its just that its not communication in any form that you are used to and they don't have minds like they did when they were alive. So the communicating is very different.

22. Plunkies O&A Pest Registered Senior Member

Wow you almost make c7ityi_ look intelligent.

23. VitalOne Banned Banned

There is a soul. In the future, maybe a few hundred or thousand years it will probably be discovered as a missing link that explains the mysteries of consciousness at last.

With our current science how can anyone design an experiment to verify that the soul does/doesn't exist?