So this baby seal walks into a club...

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Roman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

if by "kill the seal" you mean "imagine the naked lady" then, yes. i will....

*watch family guy and you'll get this joke*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Piemaker Banned Banned

What the

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

see, the problems here are
    1) the seals aren't killed quickly
    2)the entire colony can be wiped out at once.
    The "hunters" walk down the ice, clubbing the seals one at a time. Often, these are the babies, which the mother seals will abandon if they are scared enough. The seals don't die, the are just knocked unconscious temporarily. Now the hunters can leasurly walk back down the ice, killing and collecting the seals w/ much of a fight.

And while harventing the entire colony it is against the law, it is very cold, so regulators are in short supply. Recent studies have found that often, the colony or the colony's entire pup population will be clubbed and killed, wiping out the generation or the entire colony in one pass.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's the humans that are the most dangerous animals on this planet.

8. halucigenia Registered Member

Quote from BBC news last year, re Canada's seal cull:-
    "The Canadian government says the measure is necessary because the seal population is booming, causing the area's stocks of commercial fish - particularly cod - to dwindle."

I agree, by fishing the seas out too intensively, so that fish stocks get depleted, then claiming that another creature is to blame.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just ask yourself the question - if the stocks of the seal's food source is dwindling, then why is the seal population booming.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. river-wind Valued Senior Member

because we also kill off the seal's main preditors (killer whales + polar bears? not sure) via direct hunting and through starvation because of those same depleted stocks.

A guess.

10. halucigenia Registered Member

My point was that I doubt that the seals main food source is the whitefish that human's fish for. Also if it was, even with less predation, how come the seals are finding plenty and humans are not. I also doubt that killer whales and polar bears also have the same main food source. But yes, it is a complex food web and it's too easy to generalise.

11. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

I'd rather club a thousand humans that kill one seal. Seals aren't overpopulated and they don't screw up the rest of the world as badly as humans.

12. jlocke Registered Senior Member

I think that clubbing any living creature is sick. Any of you have pets? Imagine some guy coming to your house and clubbing your baby dog's skull in. Any of you have children.......

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't think that the baby seals have been alive long enough to have been sold off as pets, do you?

But just since you brought up the point, I have some pet mosquitos ....are you, perchance, killing any of my pets? ...my pets ancestors? If so, please stop doiin' that!!!

Baron Max

14. jlocke Registered Senior Member

You are completely missing the point, and if they are not old enough to have been sold as pets it's even worse. The mosquito reference is childish. How can you honestly support people going around and CLUBBING another animal?

JLocke

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So it's okay to kill animals that YOU don't like, but if anyone tries to kill animals that YOU like, then that's bad? And you call me "childish"?

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, if that animal was human, I'd be much more likely to actively support it. As it is, I just don't give a fuck about the clubbing of the seals. They do nothing for me ...one way or the other. If seals were all gone, nothing would change in my life - good or bad.

Baron Max

17. jlocke Registered Senior Member

So just because it doesn't affect you it doesn't matter?

JLocke

18. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah essentially. Thanks for reviving this thread, by the way.

See, there are really only two ways I can get off these days, and that's by choking women and beating dogs. But I bet clubbing a seal would also work.

19. Wings Registered Senior Member

Ya know, we told this joke before every organic chemsitry test... not that that has anything to do with anything. But also: killing all the seals might actually cause some kind of effect, wouldn't know what it is. And mosquitos are classified as animals, that isn't going to keep me from clubbing them at any chance I get.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes! It's called "Mind Your Own Fuckin' Business!" And if more people actually did it, this world would be a much more friendly place.

Baron Max

21. jlocke Registered Senior Member

If everyone minded their own business, then no one would be kept in check. The government would be tagging us like cattle. The loggers would cut down every tree in site. Sea and any non-domestic animal life would become extinct faster than you can stay 'club the little bugger'. Polution would blacked our skies and infect our lungs. Aids would kill off whole countries at a time. BUT the world would be a more friendly place so really I guess that makes up for it...

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No ...not if the politicians were minding their own fuckin' business!!

Just think about it ....notice how quickly you've dismissed the idea of minding your own business? Is that because you, somehow, feel that you should be minding someone else's?? See? You've just bought into the bullshit propoganda of any and all "governments", yet the first thing you say is that they'd "...tag us like cattle". You want it both ways .....and for YOURSELF.

Baron Max

23. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Haha, ok ok, got it.

What I should have said is that it IS my business if the world I live in is being destroyed by others around me. If I stood back and did nothing then I would be failing my own consiousness.