Smoking bans in bars

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kellisness, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Kellisness Registered Senior Member

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about smoking and health. I want this to be specifically about what you think of banning smoking in bars.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A damn good idea for everyone, including those who must work there but do not smoke or have respiratory problems with smoke. The people can go outside and smoke, no one is stopping them from doing that so they still can "light up" when their addiction calls them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's discrimination against a small group of people. There wasn't a problem until a select few made it a problem. They banned smoking in bars last year here in Oregon. I resent having to go outside for a smoke. If somebody has a problem with tobacco smoke, let them find an alternative other than making a sweeping law that bans smoking everywhere.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I don't really care one way or the other except I miss being able to play guitar while I smoke in the bar

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

When they introduced it here in the UK a large number (I won't say majority because I was too busy with a pint [or three] of Guinness to do anything approaching a proper survey) of non-smokers* thought it was a bad idea. They knew that smokers used the pub and stated that if they were so concerned about the smoke they'd go elsewhere. They went for the atmosphere and the company of friends**.
    A far better idea would have been to allow a mix of smoking pubs and non-smoking. That way everyone gets the choice.
    The loss of revenue, especially in the winter months, has hit a lot (all?) of pubs, because smokers elected to buy a few cans, stay at home and forego the "joys" of standing huddled in the rain and snow.

* In my local at least.
    ** I'm not sure if that works in the US. I get the impression that bars there aren't quite the social hubs that pubs are in the UK.
    *** There was also (as far as I'm aware) a surge in membership of private clubs - they were allowed to make their own rules on smoking. Smokers and non-smokers joined, with no comments whatsoever about the smoke.

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

It is about the same hear. Bar revenues are down some what for the same reason . The effect is pretty minimal, but that is a great Idea , having a mixture of non smoking and smoking . I doubt it would happen with all the smoker haters out there. There is one bar out side of Missoula that refuses to enforce the law . They may end up losing there Liqueur License if they don't comply ? You know how up backwards hicks are. Like the Brady gun control law . The Bitter Root Sheriff would not enforce that either. We like our guns in Montana. Bibles too

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Awesome. I hate that stench on my clothes after I leave.

I also support bars having separate rooms for smokers

11. Kellisness Registered Senior Member

Smoking bans in bars are completely wrong and inappropriate, for the following reasons :

* Pubs are not health clubs. All health arguments are irrelevant.

* Smoking is a highly social activity. Banning it indoors in pubs is highly disruptive, and defeats the object of going out and having a good time.

* It's up to the owner to decide how to run their own business.

* Adults are capable of making their own decisions. If someone doesn't like being around smoke, they can move somewhere else.

* It goes against the principle of freedom. Antismokers interpret freedom as "freedom from...", rather than grasp its true meaning, which is "freedom to..."

Bans also don't stop anyone from smoking, and they ruin businesses and social lives for many. And they're based on propaganda, lies, and pseudoscience about so called second hand smoking.

There are many establishments which ignore smoking bans, openly or otherwise. I frequent them very often, and the difference in social ambience between these places and those that go along with the rules is remarkable. I also smoke in many other places where it's not allowed.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Right on, man! I couldn't have said it better.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really?
    Simply because they are not health clubs is not a reason for others to suffer secondary effects of something that others do. Fail.

A pub is in business to make money by selling alcohol. Smoking is not a requirement to consume that alcohol. Fail.

Except that the law says different. Fail (Can you see a pattern forming here?)

Ah, a classic argument. If you don't like what's happening just go elsewhere...
    Would that argument also apply to the harassment of women by drunken idiots? "Pfft, just go to another pub love, maybe someone there won't try to get in your knickers".

Like "freedom to enjoy fresh air and not have second hand smoke all over them when they get home"?

Well they appear to stop people in smoking in the pub. Which was the intention.

Links please.

Whether people break a law or not does not mean that law should not have been implemented or that it is somehow invalid in principle.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think it's retarded. the reason the majority of people go to bars is to do drugs. it's not like these people are looking to get healthy, or even to socialize. the majority are there to get fucked up. and why can't capitalism operate freely in this regard? if there's a demand for non-smoking bars, then i'm sure someone would supply them. and if there's a demand for smoking bars, someone can supply them too.

NOTHING about the drug laws in this country make ANY sense.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really?
    Is that typical of the US or are you claiming it happens all over?
    Any links to support this?

And how is this related to the OP?
    You know... smoking and bars.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Roll mi aye fat one for de road mi dear. Mi thinks it be long road a head .
    More to the picture than meets the eye , hey hey my my

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

are you serious? you seriously need links to know that people go to bars to get fucked up on drugs?

alcohol = drug
    tobacco = drug
    bar = place where people do drugs

what don't you get?

18. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

People in America go to bars to get all fuckerd up. Back in the day , not as much anymore . People would hog the bathrooms so as they could snort up there Peruvian coke. Yeah made it hard for us that had to actually go to the bathroom . Charley Sheen is not the only fuckered up American . A smoke sure is good with a beer . Like a doughnut and a cup of coffee in the morning, except I do a smoke with my coffee , except on Saturday, then it is a doughnut

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah right. Then why didn't you just use the word "alcohol"?

I do for this one. What exactly do you mean by "fucked up"?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I do for this one. What exactly do you mean by "fucked up"?[/QUOTE]

You Must live in a cave . Are you an Alien? Fuckerd up is when you consume mind altering substances. All women and children know that. Men live in denial like Charley Sheen and think they are not effected

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh dear.
    Are you contending that any consumption of alcohol automatically "fucks you up"?
    Links please.
    Lori's wording (and your reply here) suggests that the sole reason for going out for a drink is get totally shitfaced (to use a UK expression).
    This is what I'd like links for. Mainly because I don't live in a cave and have spent a considerable amount of time in pubs and my experience doesn't accord with that statement.

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Lori check the time post on 15, 16, and 17 . I wonder?

23. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

If you drink enough whiskey you do. Beer too, you just have to drink more. I hear you . Not every body goes out to get all fuckard up. Now Me thay call Me 2 beer Mike and yet I can still feel the effects of 2 beers . Some people have a higher tolerance I know . That Charley Sheen now he said he was doing 7 grams of cocaine in a night. That is radical . Super human is right if that is true