Smile and earn

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Grantywanty, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

More and more, it seems, we are being paid to be chipper, smile, be positive, be up, be sure, to sell ourselves and 'our' companies and their products, to BRAND at all times. (you know 'brand' as in the business world's 'branding') What do you think the effects of forced positiveness, false happiness and optimism and the pressure to be 'up' have on society and individuals therein?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Don't know, I'm naturally chipper, smiling and positive.

Any way, to your question, I don't think there are any ill effects, it's theatre - like it or leave it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Another victory for the corporations in their battle for ownership of our bodies. Gradual, subtle loss of our ownership of same.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

People who are happy and smiling better sell products than grunty grunts, so yes, companies want their employees to appear happy.
    It's the basics of trading, I don't think you need any conspiracy theories "ownage of bodies" and blahblahblah

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, citizen. Suppose my dog has just died and I'm not feeling too happy and smiley today. Permission to be miserable... sir?

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Here, have some Pika! Pika! Pikatchu!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Oh, I'm happy-happy, smiley-smiley in my job. But then:

a. I don't sell anything; and
    b. It's out of personal choice/disposition. No-one's telling me to.

But anyway, the point is: the question was hypothetical.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

All I'm saying is that companies want people to appear happy so that their products sell better.
    I think it's only logical - basic rules of trading.
    If you dislike that go and work in a different field - a computer programmer, a forester, an accountant, a miner, etc.
    If a person works in a sales industry then he must know what to expect, the same as when a person chooses theatre as his career.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Permission granted - feel any way that suits you! Just for infomation, I've had several family members die as well as quite a few pets that I cared a great deal about. But I didn't allow any of that to change my basic disposition which is being happy and cheerful. Things happen that certainly can bring you down - but it's up to you to decide if you want to STAY down. Life keeps moving forward and I find it to much more enjoyable when you face it witha smile and a happy nature.

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

This covers a multitude of sins. Most jobs in 'sales' are behind bars or shop-counters. Low-skilled. Shit pay, shit conditions, eight hours on your feet... "permission to go to the toilet, sir?" Many of the people who do them look miserable because they're miserable jobs, done due to a lack of alternatives for very little reward. Pay insufficient peanuts and you get unhappy monkeys.
    I'm happy-go-lucky too. As it happens. I'd resent being told that I must be that way, though, if circumstances were different.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  14. maxg Registered Senior Member

It looks like a lot of the jobs where people are being told to appear "happy" (like food servers) are among those in which people appear more likely to be depressed:

Past Year Major Depressive Episode (MDE) among Full-Time Workers Aged 18 to 64, by Occupational Categories**: 2004-2006 Combined:

(source: http://oas.samhsa.gov/2k7/depression/occupation.htm)

Not sure whether companies realize this and try to force the appearance of happiness. It does seem though that being in a job where you have to deal with other people (especially a low paying job) might make you more depressed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I worked I enjoyed my job, I was a plumber and electrician, and when I went into someones home I always was plesent and friendly to whomever I was working for. Not because I was told to do so but because I really felt good about helping those people fix whatever they needed fixed. No one has ever told me to be happy when I dealt with clients I just was.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Of course, how can anyone be happy when they have to deal with selfish, greedy, egotistical people all the time? Shit, you'd be fuckin' depressed, too!

Baron Max

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

If their products are good they will sell. There is no need in such a case to force people to be up and positive when they are not.

It was you who said conspiracy. This is happening out in the open.

If you were in one of your non-chipper moments and someone told you to smile, how would you feel about that and them?

18. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

The computer programmers will also be under similar pressure. And so will accountants. They have to attend meetings where people are expected to be enthusiatic about the new logo, the new reorganization, the presence of the CEO, etc ad infinitum. Yes, miners and foresters are probably exempt in comparison to the rest. But 1) all this false positiveness is not necessary 2) it is rude to expect it 3) it is an avoidance.

19. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

That's great. There are other people who are not in that position. I am certainly not advocating dourness and I am glad you were happy in your work. How would you have felt if you were told to be up, more peppy, be passionate, to sell at all times, the be actively branding at all times, to be chipper, etc?

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, if you've chosen the retail or services area as a career, that's exactly what's expected and demanded. If you don't like that work, do something else.

It's sorta' like, ...If you don't like workin' with sick people, then you shouldn't be in human healthcare industries!

Baron Max

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hey, I agree with Baron

So companies should work towards improving the work conditions of their employees so they are truly positive.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd leave where I was working if I was told to do something like that.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not if your child was sick, you wouldn't.

It's possible to be trapped, kiddies.
    You guys are a small minority. You're mostly just comedy, for the rest, if it's impossible to avoid you - and if your aren't in charge somehow.