"Smart locks" do you have any?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I guess this question could include having a "smart house" where you can turn on lights, heat, open/close locks, check security cams from your smart phone or just a comprehensive system in your house.

If this is a subject that is of interest to anyone, comment here.

I got a car that has keyless entry and ignition. I liked that aspect of it so much that I started to think about how I could have the same convenience in my house.

My house is small, old and there is nothing standard about it so most ready made, easy to install systems don't apply to my house in general without a lot of work modifying things.

Nevertheless I'm now at the point where I have the front door and an outside basement door with keyless entry where I just have to use my fingerprint (but can still use a key if necessary) and after tomorrow my backdoor will also offer keyless entry (but not fingerprint entry).

It's fun to just be able to keep my keyring in my pocket and yet I can get into and drive my car and lock and unlock my house doors without using a key.

I think the systems will be better and more robust as time progresses but from what I can see what exists now is still pretty good.

I also recently set up a few security cameras (battery powered) that also have solar panels so no hard wiring, easy to install and need power only when you want to look at a live view or when a motion sensor triggers the recording of a 30 sec video which is saving in the cloud.

Access is via smartphone although (in my case) you can get a reduced function version to work on a desktop (for a bigger view).

Anyone else have any experience with either of these (smart lock/cam/etc)?