sleeping on pillows

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Tracker00, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Tracker00 Registered Senior Member

why do people use pillows when they sleep? is there a reason we elevate our heads even just a little?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Maybe because as an organism, we wouldn't want our blood to flood our head, which is why we then think of elevating our head most of the time, including during sleep............ This is a rough theory though, I'm expecting arguments.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I cannot sleep with a pillow under my head. I fall asleep, but then wake up -- and get rid of the pillow. Also, I like my bed hard. I'd sleep on the floor if it weren't somewhat cold and inconvenient.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

U are a perfect complimentary bed partner for me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have to have a lot of pillows or I won't fall asleep! "Throw over your pillows Rosa!"

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most people in the Western countries sleep on their sides. It's even recommended by most doctors. Obviously we need pillows to do that, or our necks would be hanging at a very uncomfortable angle.

I sleep on my back because of an old injury, and like many of you I find a pillow is totally unnecessary, in fact not even comfortable. My wife sleeps on her side and uses a pillow, so my pillow is there too to give the bed that proper "made" look during the day. It also makes the dogs happy because at night I shove it aside and one or two of them claim it.

9. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

Sometimes when I sleep on my side I wake up with no feeling in the arm I slept on. After I move it around a bit, the blood kicks in again and it's fine. Alas, if I sleep on my back, I get a dry and often soar throat and if I sleep on my stomach I get a stiff neck.

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, when I sleep in the side, I also use a pillow, otherwise, I would probably complain about a stiff/hurting neck in the morning. But since I do not care much about where I sleep, I do not always use a pillow, hence one is not always useful.

Ah, I even managed to sleep in tree branches, no need for a pillow there

11. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There's posture and such involved. I've got a pamphlet thing somewhere that says if you sleep on your side, you should have a pillow between your knees, and under your head, to position the back properly. If you're on your back, under the knees, and the head, though I have trouble finding a pillow just thick enough. The one I have is thin in the middle, and thick on the ends. I can't make it work.

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

These symptoms somewhat resembles with one homeopathic remedies made from common salt : Natrum Mur. Just check any problem of salt.

13. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I lay my pillow long ways starting at my chest and put my head on the end. i cant sleep any other way.

14. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Sleeping on 'folding bed' (made up from plastic/cotton cloths strips) instead of common double bed can be much helpful for many sleeping & other problems in some persons. Body posture in this will be head & legs slightly raised, back slightly curved. Check with your doctor & try. It may help in heart burn, blood excess flow to head & legs, useful in back problem, avoid excess & day sleep, create alertness & straight back during day...I really enjoy this sleeping & all these problems are bit cured since last 7 years. I really relish sleeping in this type.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'm a pillow sleeping mother trucker. I have 4 pillows on my bed. One hard. One soft. Two flimsy ones. I generally lay the soft one on the hard one and then throw the rest over my head. I can't sleep without my head covered. It's a habit from youth when I didn't have good curtains in my bedroom and the sun would carve a path across my room.

Damn you, SUN! I hates it. Curses the sun. Hides in the shadows.

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

When I was little, I wanted to sleep on as many pillows as were available. But I turned into a stomach+back sleeper, so a pillow only gets in the way.

So, it's summer time. I sleep with two sheets and nothing else.

A pillow is necessary to keep the neck straight. There are different kinds of pillows. The side sleepers need the thickest ones, the belly sleepers need the flattest ones, and the back sleepers need something very soft that just keeps the curve of the neck. I saw this once on the tv, and never had a hurting neck again.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Good point about how you sleep. I alternate between sleeping on my side and sleeping on my stomach. When on my side I use both pillows with the light pillows over my head. When I switch to my stomach, I stick my head under all the pillows except the very bottom one. Which just so happens to be the flattest of the two big pillows I use.

I can't sleep on my back. Don't know why. Habit I suspect.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Sleeping on the back is healthiest for the spine. If you sleep on the belly, the neck is still twisted, and the spine is too curved in too many places. The position on the side is considered better than the stomach one; but I disagree, because you can curve your spine and shoulders and neck into such a position while on your side, you could be aching all day.

19. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Animals do not sleep on the back.

20. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Yeah, my dog sleep on its side on most occasions.....