Should the US continue it's support of Israel?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ashura, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Should the US continue it's support of the Israel?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  1. Myles Registered Senior Member

Spot on. I suspect, however, that like Saudi, Israel means the US has a strategic toehold in the ME

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

You buy your influence with Israel. If the US were seen to be evenhanded in its dealings with the ME, in the course of time you might no longer be sen as the great Satan. It might not work , but it is certain that maintaining the status quo will mean a continuation of what is going on at present

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

Some of what the US gives may reasonably be down to the Jewish lobby. Politicians of all persuauions will do anything to get votes,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, it doesn't. Israel is a theocracy that does not hold the same values as America. They are an occupation which continually opresses and murders the very people who own the damn land.
    They have caused war after war, they have fueled terrorist hatred, and they ALSO cost Americans their money. In the end, what does the US benefit from supporting that nation?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

An ally and a foothold against Muslim extremism in the Middle East.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Spider, you're forgetting that most of that extremism is BECAUSE of the creation of Israel.

Also, at what cost? If America stands for "justice and freedom", how can you support occupation?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't support occupation. Occupation is not integral to Israel, it's a temporary means to address a threat. Islamic extremists are a threat to freedom, indeed, they are the reason Israel was founded in the first place.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Israel is an occupation, has been for 60 years.
    So Israel was founded because of Islamic extremists? I don't quite get you.

Hamas, Hesbollah, Fatah al-Islam, and many more all have one thing in common: they were created BECAUSE of Israel, or are justified because of Israel

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh they are capitalists far more than theocrats. They got their shit together and built something decent in the desert.

As long as you view them as a murderous occupation, you are helping to ensure the palestenians never get their shit together... which of course would eliminate the possibilities of sovereignity or integration.

Many many tangible results. Just for example:

Billions of exported goods to Israel.
    Jobs from military contracts.
    Lower cost business extensions or research initiatives.
    Social experimentation and adoption of good results (such as the Israeli Home Instruction for Preschool Youngsters).
    Investment opportunity.
    Trade bridge between US and Europe.

The bottom line is they are our friends and they have their shit together. That gives them alot of positive value. Contrast that with Hamas for example, which provides only negative value and no positive value.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes........but no, they are entirely what they are because of America. Without any US aid, they'd be like they were 3, 000 years ago.....

Views don't count here, because they ARE a murderous occupation.

Also, YOUR tax money goes to Israel. If I were you, I wouldn't put up with that. Israel has never benefited the US, and never will and FUELS aggression.

Also, Israel is insignificant on the world scale.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Maybe and I am ok with that.

I just showed several objective ways in which Israel presently does benefit the U.S. Ignoring them wonrt make them go away. I don't mind if part of my taxes go to help them. A friend stayed with me for a long time while he was trying to rebuild a life for himself. He got free housing and food during that time. I never had a problem with that.

So is my best friend. If I had to choose for example between his life and the lives of all palestenians on Earth, I would send the Palestenians flowers. That is the value of a friend and Israel is ours.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Israel is a legitimate nation, not an occupation. Alot of the money comes back here in the form of weapons sales. The Arabs already tried to kill them and failed. This murderous intent on the part of Arabs, if nothing else, is a good reason to support Israel.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I believe in supporting israel the us is promoting one of the very things we are against.

But then again, we seem to be turning into the worlds biggest hypocrites.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So no glory goes to the Israelis......not that they have any

Sure, but they cause more harm than help. Also, your friend didn't kill people, did he? Your money doesn't go to "help" them, it goes to fuel their war machine.

Israel is an example of a bad influence type of friend.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, go back to 1948.......OCCUPATION.

Spidergoat, you seem to forget that THE FUCKING REASON THE ARABS WANT TO KILL THEM IS BECAUSE THEY OCCUPY AND KILL US

What "murderous intent"? Ya, you know, if someone came and killed all that I knew and love, and forced me to move out, and then called me a terrorist....I WOULD want to kill them.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The facts are no ones hands are clean in the Israel-Palestine deal. Everyone has made mistakes, everyone has innocent blood on their hands. Israel has not been very good in its treatment of Palestinians...there is no dobut. And Palestinians have been very violent too. Everyone must learn to forgive, I suggest we go back to our holy books and prayer with a mind to forgive our brothers and sisters.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Isreal cant steal land and then expect to be off the hook by "treating them well"

And no, they are far from treating them well. How many Palestinians live in poverty, and are constantly bombed or spied on?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They were buying the land, and owned it just as legitimately as any "Palestinian", until there was a war. Sadly, when you start a war, you must accept the consequences.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So if Japan beat the US in WWII, and took over America, you guys will simply "accept the consequences"?

Also, that's where you're wrong. Firstly, they were buying it from BRITAIN, not Palestine
    Secondly, it would've still meant that the Palestinians living on Israeli territory would be forced to move out, right?
    And thirdly......while they can sure live on the land, they can't by forcing the natives out of their homes AND governing it. It should've remained Palestine under Palestinian Government.