Should the US continue it's support of Israel?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ashura, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Should the US continue it's support of the Israel?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well Israel isn't going to be "given-back" any sooner than Istanbul is going to be "given-back" to the Greeks who founded the city and built it up.

Anyway, I still do not want my US tax money going to supply weapons to Israel. We have enough of our own problems we need that money to fix.

Sometime in the next 50 years the USA's influence will fall in proportion to our riches. At the same time China's will rise. I'm really curious to see how the China-Israel relationship plays out over that time. The same is true of India. I wonder how things will be then?

RE: "If Israel weren't there, they'd still be frantically trying to kill one another."

The same was true of Europe, Asia, Africa etc... people are always trying to kill one another. Democracy helps alleviate it BUT resources and land is limited so expect war.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I say let Israel stand on it's own. Israel needs to realize they can't kill their way to victory. They need to learn how to treat their neighbors with respect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That article outlined the major reasons why the US has been and should remain in partnership with Israel. You reacted to a reasoned summary with sloganeering.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Are you abandoning this sentiment then? Others have pointed out that the enemies you mentioned are our enemies because of our support of Israel, so this reasoning is circular.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They would be emboldened by any abandonment of Israel, and they wouldn't stop being our enemies.

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It would certainly help to remove a lot of what helps them recruit new terrorists against us, wouldn't it? Similar to getting out of Iraq.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It might, but it's not worth it, the Israelis want our support. We don't even have to occupy Israel, just sell them weapons. We don't have as much to lose in Iraq, it wasn't with us before and it's not much of a power now. Whatever influence we have now with Israel would be lost.

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

But it's not just selling them weapons. They happen to be, correct me if I'm wrong, the largest recipient of military aid from the US. Considering how big of a hole in our pockets they are, and considering in return all we get are enemies as a result, what benefit is there to continue our support? You mention worth in your last post, so... what is our support of Israel via all this money worth to the US?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We hand out plenty of aid to their neighbors as well. If anything we are keeping a tentative stalemate between Israel and the Palestinians. I recognize that the whole situation is a mess. That's why we need to leverage our influence to force a solution. Since Clinton, no one has done that with any credibility. Bush is just as much of a religious fundamentalist as any Zionist or Jihadist.

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Nowhere near the amount of aid Israel alone receives.

I still don't understand how this relationship benefits the US. We're talking 3 billion dollars every year for the next 10 years, all coming out of the taxpayer's already empty pocket.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the amount of money we give to isreal each year equal the money we give to africa south america and the carribean combined

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well I certainly do not think we get our moneys worth. Do we?

I think we should send them Bibles instead

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Haaa...!
    A present from Bush, instead of your usual missiles shipment The Decider, decided you would be getting a million little pocket sized Bibles...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and some Baby Jesus Loves You bumper stickers.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No, we never should have gotten messed up supporting a theocracy. Israel has done nothing for us. They have attacked an unarmed American Flagged ship. They spy on us...not something you do to your friends and allies.

Our politicians support Israel because Israel lobbyists support our politicians, in more ways than one.

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Joe, I'm so glad you're so ready to point out the significance of the attack on the USS Liberty, the Pollard case, AIPAC, and campaign funding loopholes for foreign influence. Most of all, the Liberty. We may sometimes disagree, but certainly not on these particular matters of truth, national honor, and remembrance of those whose sacrifices have been obscured. Cheers, Compadre.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What about the support of Jewish-Americans? It's not just a lobby that has influence, but a politically involved public.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Where else would you get people more likely to hate you because of that cooperation. and most of it is one way. Israel was bailed out in 73, by the US.

Remember, Hamas was created by Israel.
    Also, This support for Israel is the biggest point for muslims worldwide not just in the region.

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

What about them? So if we manage to get a good amount of politically involved Iranians in the US who want similar treatment, we're somehow obligated to send 3 billion of the taxpayer's money every year to Iran?

Besides, you make it sound like every Jew in the US is for giving Israel so much aid. That certainly isn't the case, remember that this money is coming out of their pocket too.

21. Kadark Banned Banned

It's not like the U.S. has a choice. Israel is making all of its (America's) decisions.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

spidergoat, your "enemies" are your enemies because of your support for Israel and America's unwanted influence.

You made your enemies. If you withdraw support and even go against Israel, you might lose those enemies.

Israel wouldn't be shit without American aid anyway

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, aid to those who deserve it, NOT those who kill innocence, occupy others' lands, and cause war after war time and time again.