Should the U.S. troops leave afghanistan ?.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by mike47, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Do you think the U.S. should pull off Afghanistan ?.

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    42.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Screw 150,000 you need 400,000.
    For the most part during WW2 the USA was fighting in areas where the people were neutral or on our side. Even in the invasion of Italy the people were largely on our side. This is why in some ways Afghanistan and Vietnam and Iraq are much trickier than WW2 was even though in this war the USA does not have to face an enemy who has comparable fire power like Germany and Japan had.

If you a actually leave American troops in the in some numbers in every village they are going to get killed a lot.

I think mixed American Afghan units with the Americans learning the local language and the Afghans soldiers learning English could be very effective and the American soldiers could restrain the Afghan soldiers corruption and thievery and thereby win over the locals but you could not stop the Afghans soldiers employed by the USA from killing an American soldier in his unit if that is what the Afghan soldier thinks is best for his country and he is willing to die for his country. This would be a fairly long term strategy because it would take 6 months for the language project to be far enough along for the mixed units to begin to be workable.

One third of the Afghan men should be put on the US payroll for $400 a month each if the US really wants to win this war. That would go a long way towards fixing the Afghan economy as the money would circulate as opposed to what happens when you use American tax dollars to pay American contractors who subcontract with Bangladeshi (or from any other third world country) contractors to do work in Afghanistan that never gets done.

I just think the USA is not willing to spend the kind of money they would need to spend to get a real victory in Afghanistan. Maybe the USA can achieve what they have in Iraq in Afghanistan without massively increasing the spending but this relative peace in Iraq is not stable and could fall apart at any moment and the USA really has not made a nation in Iraq or acquired a trustworthy ally in Iraq.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mike47 Banned Banned

What did the US and NATO achieve in Iraq then ?.
    Thousands of wounded, thousands of killed, billions of dollars wasted and a disgraceful foreign policy in the eyes of the world !!.
    Is this your achievement ?. Plus one day they will be kicked from Iraq for good. Deaf, dumb and blind; and they return not ........:shrug::shrug:.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. philipthegreat Registered Senior Member

I partially agree with the idea that the Army and NATO are still in Afghanistan to save face but not totally. I really do think that this planned troop surge is an attempt to stabilize a country that is falling apart.

This war is still winnable IMO, but the United States and NATO have to stop this farcical idea that truly fair elections are possible in Afghanistan, and try and put someone competent in power there. Then rather try to couple nation building with open warfare simply focus on improving the living conditions in that country.

Yes, Obama getting the Noble prize was ridiculous, but it did have a purpose in that the Norweigan Noble committe is trying to convice Obama to not be another Bush.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Its not Obama being the next bush thats the problem. He is just a figure head of a broken system that perpetuates its own self interests. Thye may appear to have changed their town, but we are just seeing a new head to the same old snake.

8. thinking Banned Banned

agreed

I disagree , since leaving security troops in the village leaves the village more secure , which is what the Afghans want

which in turn would encourage Afghans to cooperate with the American troops

look , all the Afghans want to do is survive , and they will do this , even it means going against the Americans

the strategy of American forces is so dysfunctional it ridiculous , go in , clean out , pull out , then the enemy moves back in , sounds like Nam , doesn't ? such non-sense strategy is doomed to fail

or the money would end up in the enemies hands , protection monies

its not so much about money per-say as it is troops and a logical well thought out strategy

and by the way get those ridiculously heavy packs OFF the troops

9. kmguru Staff Member

Since we are outsouring everything to save money, why not rent 400,000 troops from India with same price as our 40,000 troops? Problem solved.

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Sure, why not?

11. thinking Banned Banned

I see , so these troops from India have the same motivation to do a very good job , as US troops because ?

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Its all about the money...duh

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. thinking Banned Banned

in the end its about motivation , duh

14. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

The reason the country is falling apart (US invasion) is perhaps reflected in Obamas desperate attempts to do something.

What would the desired outcome factors be of winning?

Correct, but installing a dictator is not in line with the US`s rhetoric on promoting democracy. And any legitimate electoral process would have to include the Taliban.

Yes, but rebuilding and improved living conditions cannot flourish in wartime.
    That is a fair opinion, and I tend to agree with this, but this strategy further degrades the (already degraded) Nobel Prize institution.

IMO, its time to talk. NATO most likely need to broaden their strategy by including Russian/Chinese initiatives, and need to engage in dialogue with all Afghan interests, including the Taliban. This will be a road of compromise, but I don`t see any other viable solutions to acieve an exit strategy.

15. thinking Banned Banned

really

the Canadian troops did it by securing the AREA around the village

such a novel idea

which US command is now taking notice of

get with it US

16. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

You believe little pockets of security dotted around a country is a sign of "flourishing"?

17. thinking Banned Banned

its an example of what works , knock , knock , wake up

so instead of pockets , expand the idea

18. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Whats with the knock knock crap?

Right. So the 80% plus of Afghanistan that is Taliban controlled is going to accept the establishment of numerous little pockets? And the Taliban will be squeezed into the pockets between the pockets? :m: The Taliban are not going to go away, they need to become part of the process.

19. thinking Banned Banned

to get your attention , wake up

you just don't get it strawdog , at all

20. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Far from it. I get your drift, and its actually a fair approach, but it would necessarily work only in isolation, and that is not a broad solution.

Foreign invasions of Afghanistan is as old as the hills, and thus far no one has learned from history, or been able to make a difference. Perhaps a knock, knock is need there.

(link)

The answer does not lie in secure pockets, or increased troop numbers. The only way out of this is to sheath the sword and draw the pen.

21. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

The beginning of the end of arrogance, and perhaps a glimmer of hope.

22. thinking Banned Banned

the problem is , is that , the taliban only respect god , in my view , so that any " deal " with them will be broken in the end by them

23. mike47 Banned Banned

I think the Taliban are fighting for their own country . The US wants Afghanistan to be a permanent colony . So how can any deal be reached ?. The only deal to cease the resistance is for the US to pull its troops and for the Afghans to decide who will govern them . The Taliban and the Northern Alliance are enemies . Can they make a deal or continue the war is anyone's guess since no one knows the future . Talking about deals between the US and the Taliban is a shear non sense and a zero international politics .
    If someone kills your children, steals your possessions, occupies your home is there anything left for you two to negotiate ?!!!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.