Should self-aware, concious AI be given rights?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Demonstrate self-awareness, and the discussion becomes not only valid, but important.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I am alive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Being alive doesn't mean you're self-aware.

Bacteria are alive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Self awareness: to be aware of oneself (if that's a word).

For instance, a rock does not know. It does not know that it is there and it's a rock, it's simply there.

Self aware would mean that the rock would know that it does exist within the universe, and it knows where it is, how it is, and can percieve existence. We Humans are self aware because we know and percieve our surroundings. Simply because there are lights and sounds and smooth fabrics and delicious foods and cozy smells does not mean that it is a given for us to percieve them. A man without any of his senses is no more alive than a rock, and unfortunately that's really the truth. Obviously perhaps not scientifically, but I wouldn't think so. if I were in that position, I know I wouldn't really care about death because I wouldn't even know I'm alive.

That is selfawareness, you know that you are there, reading this message, you know you exist. Self Awareness.

8. draqon Banned Banned

yet they dont declare that they are alive.

9. draqon Banned Banned

I think self-awareness recognition can be done by tests which are made to reflect the choice one makes in life because of his own unique consciousness. If in the test the person finds himself amongst a "maze" designed to test the self-awareness, than that person has self-awareness...and it must be designed so that we know of the person more than he/she does about themselves because we will delete information about him/her from their mind...to allow the uniqueness of their self-awareness find the answers anew, if this self-awareness truly exist.

In fact I think that what this life is for, to find oneself.

10. draqon Banned Banned

Also....check on this Phenomenology with a machine...gives rise to self-awareness

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...755&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Was that an actual interview?

12. draqon Banned Banned

of course not silly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

its just a movie

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

What reason do we have to want to develop sentient AI? What practical use does it have?

14. draqon Banned Banned

ability to exist were we cannot, while being us essentially.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Interest
    To have them live side by side with us and spice up our otherwise non diverse and boring lives?

I can't say specialization, such as making them do a specific task because that's the point which they stop being sentient and begin being programming. That's up to them.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If the robots get together and petition for their rights, we can think about it then.

17. draqon Banned Banned

no, we will see it as an enemy and destroy them. Unless you meant peaceful petition...

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That's the risk there. If sentient machines demand rights and we deny them the rights, there is much reason to believe that they'll rebel or fight back. Your classic scifi scenario.

19. draqon Banned Banned

the threat is much deeper than that...we simply can go extinct because of AI machines with self-proclaimed-self-awareness, they can blend in with us and we will forget the need to replicate...because they will serve all the functions a normal human will serve except the "babies" or products of their machinery will be of their own blending in to seem like a cross between us and them ...

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't quite understand you.

21. draqon Banned Banned

ok than lets take it step by step:

1) AI machines become human-like, having outlook and actions that of humans...mimicking them in every aspect

22. draqon Banned Banned

2) AI machines proclaim self-awareness and challenge others to dispute it

23. draqon Banned Banned

3) Humans dispute self-awareness because they dont want to grant the rights to this new "citizens" because it is uneconomical...however humans answer to AI machines is that there is no substantial evidence for AI self-awareness. Basically we deny them their rights...but that does not matter