Should parents be allowed to raise their children religious or atheist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Betrayer0fHope, Dec 1, 2008.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Difficult doesn't mean impossible.

Is that what I said, really?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*rcp*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. albertchong1999 The truth is out there Registered Senior Member

those people embrace true religion and keep practice it frequently will have more resilient and better manner than those don't have religion at all. but those don't have religion must learn the manner from parents or have proper behaviour guidance. good manner and behaviour is learned, not born. and every ethnic has its own behaviour style and a set of manner to follow. if violated, it will considered no manner.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

And vice versa.
    There are good people who are religious, and there are good people who are not.
    There are assholes who are religious, and assholes who are not.

The same applies to those who do have religion. They still learn their behaviour from their parents.
    Which is (in the general sense) independent of religion. Standards of behaviour do not need to depend on religious belief.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

The parents' rights end where their children's right to freedom of conscience begin.
    A parent certainly has the right to guide the child how they want, to bring them up in a certain religious community, and to instruct the child however they wish. But to force and indoctrinate by coercion, physical or mental, an ideology on a child is wrong.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No that was more of a forceful persuasion. Helping us decide would have been giving us the option of going.
    So now, all that work and effort she put forth more or less is worthless now.

Probably, and I bet the athiest parents include Christianity, Judiasm and especially Islam into any mythology that they explain to their children, because after all, that's what all that crap is anyway.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if a child does not want to go to school, it is wrong for parents to force them? If a child wants to stay out late, do drugs or alcohol, have sex at the age of 11, etc. should parents coerce them into abstaining?

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It's not wrong for 'rents to force their children to go to school, but I think it IS wrong for them to force their children to go to a specific school, that suits the parents agenda more so than the needs of the child.

Yes the parents should. But at the same time the parents should know that if a child is THAT determined to have sex, they are going to anyway. So the parent should do their best to educate the child on the dangers of drugs, etc.

11. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Those do not affect freedom of thought. Those are matters of education and basic health.

It's like comparing apples and crowbars.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Those are one and the same.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Just who is it that determines the "needs" of the child?

Baron Max

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I never thanked you for this post, Simon.
    Thanks.

I too, lean toward the constructivist, fostering positive development approach. Up to a point... or perhaps in layers.
    I think that part of positive development is to be able to examine earlier, less mature layers, and see them for the useful tools that they are.
    So, getting the kid to bloom will mean different things at different level of maturity, right? (I've posted on that note in [post=2120108]sweet lies VS cold truths[/post])

So, yes. Comforting notions which might be demonstrably and factually false are useful and important at early stages of life... but it's also important that children can later discard those notions and examine different possibilities of what the actual truth might be.

Excellent advice. We should write a book together.

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Not even close. Bringing someone up around people doesn't mean you are forcing them to believe the same as those other people. You are exaggerating things out of some baseless fear of people having different opinions from your own. It's quite sad, really.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's interesting how you manage to turn your ignorance into an insult. Nice work.