Should Mars be terraformed?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by draqon, Jul 7, 2008.

?

Should Mars be terraformed?

1. We should not even venture into space...we should stay on Earth

12.5%
  2. We should venture into space...Mars or not Mars...but later in 100 years or so

9.4%
  3. We should venture into space in these 100 years but settle on the moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We should venture into space before 2050, and colonize Mars

9.4%
  5. We should venture into space as fast as we can and colonize Mars

21.9%
  6. We should venture into space and colonize Mars and terraform it on a side

6.3%
  7. We should explore space immedeately and terraform Mars right from the star

6.3%
  8. We should terraform every habitat we visit, as long as it is in our power and as fast we can

25.0%
  9. whatever NASA and space agencies decide...is were I stand

3.1%
  10. other/none

6.3%
  1. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

I agree 100%. So I would say that I like the idea of terraforming mars, on the practical side I doubt that my grandkids will see even the beginnings of a plan to do so.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goose Registered Senior Member

Oh yes, deffinently true

As for this question, i havent the faintest idea, hahaha... any suggestions enmos?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goose Registered Senior Member

oh ya, much easier than controlling gravity... and you never know, we might get lucky and get some plans for terraforming before then, but i doubt it will be put into action by then

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

How do you intend terraforming Mars without a magnetosphere?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's true.. it slipped my mind. Still, I think the atmosphere will stick for considerable time.

That's a problem. To be clear, I don't think we will terraform Mars within this millenium.
    But maybe we could transport gases from the gas planets to Mars.. the cost will be astronomical, if it will ever become economically viable to even develop the technology.

9. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Mars magnetosphere has all but stopped... which is from what I understand .. the reason it lost its ozone layer.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But not instantly, it took some time before it disappeared.
    That Mars still has an atmosphere today is proof of that.

11. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

I suspect that the technology will be available long before the political will develops. A politicians attention span lasts no longer than his/her term of office.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, unless Bill Gates takes an interest in terraforming Mars who is going to finance it ?
    And even if he would, it would probably leave him flat broke..

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

How about terraforming the Sahara or the Gobi? Wouldn't it make more sense and be more practical??

As a sidenote, do you masturbate looking at pictures of mars?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, it would be immensely more practical at the moment.

Is that aimed at me ?

I'm not the Mars fanatic here..

15. CptBork Valued Senior Member

We shouldn't bother with Mars until we can terraform the Arctic. There are plenty of places we don't inhabit or use right here in our own backyard that are infinitely more viable for settlement than some distant airless planet.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The arctic.. ??

17. draqon Banned Banned

thing is the Arctic plays a vital role in balance of our own planets' delicate environment system, if we warm it up...it will destroy other habitats back on regular land. On Mars it is different...warming up the North Pole of Mars will not destroy any colonization spots, rather...it will create them. Arctic is good for training for Mars...and that is all.

18. Letticia Registered Senior Member

1. Which resources do you think Earth is running out of?

2. How is terraforming Mars going to help that problem? If your answer to Question 1 is more than one "resource", please show how terraforming Mars helps with each one separately.

19. draqon Banned Banned

Earth is running out of energy sources to support population.

Mars is important for space exploration purpose as practice for further exploration, Mars is important for place to live for population elsewere then Earth. Mars has energy resources to support such population, resources such as: geothermal (volcanoes), soil reprocessing (magnesium...reactions with carbon dioxide), solar power, nuclear power.

20. Letticia Registered Senior Member

You don't need to terraform Mars to get energy for Earth. You need to build solar power satellites in Earth orbit and/or mine asteroids for fissionables. Both are huge undertakings, but utterly pale compared to challenge of terraforming Mars.

Unless you are simply writing Earth off as a lost cause?

21. draqon Banned Banned

Letticia....I dont care about Earth, ok?!!! I care about human civilization. And human civilization needs to expand to increase probability of survival and further the development and exploration of universe. Mars terraforming is not for Earth...Mars terraforming is to set example of terraforming of other objects in universe for life for people. Mars terraforming is an experiment to bring life to dead objects and an example of power of human civilization.

22. Letticia Registered Senior Member

If Earth does not have enough energy, which you claim will happen, there will be no terraforming Mars, or any other significant space activity. Like it or not, human civilization is here, and even under most optimistic scenarios (and you do not seem to be optimistic), for next several centuries at least vast majority of resources available to humans will be available to humans on Earth. And funny thing about resources, especially energy -- when they grow scarce, whoever still has most of them tends to take from the rest what they have. Generally without latters' permission. So if things are going downhill the way you claim, any nascent space colonies will either wither and die if they are not yet energy-producing, or will be taken over militarily by energy-hungry Earth if they are.

Do you have any clue how many people it takes to keep a technological civilization going? How many people were involved in just making the computer you are typing on? Hint: millions. Bringing life to dead objects is well and good, but Mars will not be self-sufficient until millions of people live on it, and if Earth takes a nosedive prior to that... bye-bye Mars. So I recommend using your energies to make Earth last -- even if you don't care about it.

23. draqon Banned Banned

when they grow scarce...Letticia...new wars start...wars that threaten to wipe out the whole human civilization.