Should I?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LeeDa, Feb 15, 2024.

1. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

if you get burnt should u swallow shit tons of water like they say to run a burn under cold water for 10 minutes? www.manvsdeath.com link for spam.

is this a thing or am i first and if it works and im first then everyone needs to know and if im not first then i thought of this on my own was never taught and others need to know cause i was never taught this..

or is this bad.

ty

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

LeeDa:

This is hard to parse.

You seem to be suggesting that swallowing "shit tons" of water would somehow help to treat a burn. It will not, and it could be dangerous to your health for other reasons. Don't do it.

You can be sure that you're not the first person to have an idiotic idea. You're in good (?) company, there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

You seem to pick up on the expression "shit tonnes" means to hurt yourself. It is an expression i mean say in science u would say drink two glasses if your burned etc. do you have evidence that it wont help?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

I think it needs to be researched.

8. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

9. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

10. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Jobs for life?

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

No.

Next question?

12. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

show evidence pls. I believe is should be researched. You just flat out say no with evil preferring ignorance..

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I read it to mean "a lot". More than 2 glasses.
    Tell me why you think it would help with a burn. It's your idea.
    It looks like it already has been researched.
    A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    ---

Look, drinking 2 glasses of water won't hurt you, so if you believe that will help a burn, you go right ahead and drink 2 glasses of water after you're burned. But you'll need to actually treat the burn, too.

14. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

If researched then nobody knows cause i didnt and everyone ive talked to on the net didnt 400+ and this could save lives disfigurement extra pain scarring and help the wound healing process. seems obvious to me in ways it would help with a burn but im not a scientist. Like i said it needs to be researched scientifically specifically for burns which is way way beyond me. Sure drinking 2 glasses wont hurt you but it could help and this needs to be confirmed. this is where it starts no? dunno what ur getting at with a bird in the hand etc but ill repeat myself. Jobs for life.

15. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

It is not a good idea to ask for or give out medical advice on the internet.

You may make a situation worse unless you are a qualified medical professional but there is no way of confirming that.

If you are interested generally,

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...l the burn with cool,that's stuck to the skin

16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yeah, no. It can't help in the slightest. It's idiotic. Nobody with any sense would do it.

Immersing a small burn in cold water is what you do. It stops the pain and helps with minimising the damage. A more serious burn needs medical attention, as per pinball's link.

But perhaps you think it might prevent spontaneous combustion or something?

Addendum:
    Sorry, I'm doing you an injustice. You are evidently a known nutcase with previous track record on this forum for posting rubbish, e.g. this: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/3-mc2-and-3-mc2-art-the-matrix-magix-has-you.164225/#post-3670674

I'll leave you to it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Pinball1970 likes this.
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

LeeDa:

Previously, I asked you why you believe that drinking a couple of glasses of water might help with a burn.

Based on what you've said so far, it seems that you have found some information that says that hydration is generally important for healing wounds. But I think that hydration is not supposed to be a first aid measure; rather, it is one of the things that might help longer-term healing of injuries.

No reference that you have posted so far refers specifically to burn treatment. So, I'm still wondering why you think that drinking water might be especially good for treating burns, specifically.

Is this just a random thought you had regarding burns - like a guess? - or is there some other reason you think this is an avenue that is likely to lead to useful changes to health advice on the treatment of burns?

You didn't actually say whether you think this is a useful first aid treatment or just a longer-term measure that might be useful in recovering from a burn injury. But why burns, specifically?
    You have talked to 400+ people on the internet about this, prior to posting about it on sciforums?

If so, surely you must have learned something more than you have posted here already. What have you found out so far about water and the treatment of burns? I mean, obviously, you have put a lot of time and effort into trying to find out more already. And yet, here you are, asking the question of us, as if you know almost nothing.

Can you please share what you have learned in your 400+ prior conversations about this?
    dunno what ur getting at with jobs for life. So, I'll say: a stitch in time saves nine.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure.

Below is a story of a woman who drank less than a shit ton of water (only four bottles) and died from water toxicity. When asked, a doctor explained that "water toxicity is when somebody drinks too much water over too short of a period of time to the point where they disrupt this salt/water balance with have throughout our bodies. The worst effects being when that salt/water balance is disrupted in the cells in the brain. It can cause swelling in those cells, which then leads to swelling of the whole brain.”

https://www.today.com/health/news/water-intoxication-death-rcna99472

Thus, if you don't want to die, don't drink a shit ton of water.
    It has been.
    I flat out say no because I don't want ignorant people like yourself dying because you don't understand the risks of drinking a shit ton of water.

James R and DaveC426913 like this.
  19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I've heard of other cases.

Jennifer Strange, a 28-year-old Rancho Cordova, Calif. mother of three, died of acute water intoxication in January, 2007 after the challenge to see which contestant could drink the most water without using the restroom. A Nintendo Wii video game was the prize for winning the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jennifer-stranges-family-awarded-165-million-in-wee-for-wii-contest-death/

It appears she drank six litres of water over a three hour period.
    This SciAm article recounts several other cases:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

- as well as explaining how the toxicity occurs.(TLDR: There's virtually no fat or connective tissue in the brain, so when cells expand because of osmotic water incursion, there's nowhere for them to expand to).

So I'm on the side of don't drink shit-tons of water - and definitely don't do anything just because some doof on the internet tells you to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  20. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Yeah but this is a very stupid thread though right?
    From a poster of a record of very stupid threads?

exchemist likes this.
  21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Indeed, though billvon and Dave are manfully trying to inject some science into it. This qsa character poops off now and again, presumably when he's have a psychotic episode, and then goes dormant again.

22. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

I explained a shit tonne to me meant something like 2 glasses or 500 mls. But u carried it. your off topic.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Bahahaha!