Should Etymology be a school subject?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Captain Kremmen, Jan 4, 2011.

?

Would it benefit Children to teach Etymology?

1. Yes, But only words of Latin origin

7.1%
  2. Yes, but only Latin and Greek words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes. Teach them a little of every language

57.1%
  4. No. That's Stupid (from L.Stupidus, amazed)

14.3%
  5. No. It would make children too intelligent.

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I completely fail to see how one can acquire a proper understanding of, skill with and appreciation of, ones native langauge without some exposure to etymology. This need not constitute a major part of the curriculum, but the principles and concepts should be laid out, illustrated by evocative examples.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. my answer to the question of the topic is HELL YES!!!! but I'm torn between whether it should be for just Latin and Greek words of for every language.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many people become quite articulate speakers of their native language with little formal education in any subject, and many more do just fine with only a basic education that has no room for niceties such as etymology.

The technology of spoken language was invented in the Paleolithic Era, at least 15,000 years ago. (That's the earliest evidence we have; for all we know it may be 100,000 years or more.) For most of the time during which this technology was in use there were no such things as schools. And without the more advanced technology of writing and the historical records it made possible, no one could have known that their language was derived from an older ancestor, so the idea of etymology would have made no sense.

To help you decide, put yourself for the moment in the shoes of someone whose native language is Chinese, which has only a handful of words of foreign origin. Or Arabic, Japanese, Hungarian, Thai, Finnish, Hebrew, Turkish, Korean, or any non-Indo-European language whose words are primarily of non-Indo-European origin.

Shouldn't any course in etymology prominently feature the origins of its native words? In English that means our everyday words of Germanic origin. It's interesting to know how words like petroleum, establishment, democracy and reality came into existence; but it tells us a lot about the history of our culture to also know the origin of words like you, thing, about, talk, why, cow, or, hand, eat, the, water, knife, this and tree.

How about coffee, tea, pogrom, kangaroo, igloo, piano, geisha, rodeo, powwow, chess, sheikh, matzo, robot, and the myriad words that are not of Latin, Greek or native Germanic origin? Those etymologies are not only fun, but they enrich our understanding of how our culture came to be what it is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Oh definitely. My problem with the teaching of German at my school was that I didn't get to learn ENOUGH of it, not that I wish they hadn't bothered. Instead I stuck with just French, which I've carried on to A-level and plan to carry on studying at uni. However, I also want to learn Russian ab initio as part of my course, but I think the very top unis (like Oxford, who rejected my application after interviewing me 3 times - bastards!) aren't prepared to teach me a completely new language if I can only speak English and French.
    I've self-taught a bit of German online though, but it's nearly impossible to get very far that way.

8. Here's why I'm torn. I'm Italian so I would want to learning words that came from Italian, I would also want to learn words that came from Latin and Greek and I say sure to learning words that came from asian languages, romance languages and German, but I wouldn't care for learning words that came from languages such as Dutch, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Arabic and Iranian. Maybe they can make Etymology classes and divide them into languages families.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That may be true, but you can always tell when someone is trained properly in the structure of a language [even if they are self trained] as compared to someone who merely learns to strings words or phrases together.

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

None of the above.

My answer: no; it's more important to teach children correct spelling and grammar first. Since this isn't the case, it would be best to begin there.

11. well ya I agree too that that should be taught first, but I thought the question was asking if etymology should be taught at all in school. no?

12. Aldrnari Registered Member

I think we too often forget English's Germanic roots when we think of etymology. If we only pursued Greek and Latin roots, we would be missing the core and very soul of Englisc. Jag hoppas att vi aldrig glömmer bort de forna språken.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I thought the title read 'entomology' at first...

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

English was so heavily influenced by French during the Norman occupation that it shed much of its Germanic character and acquired a noticeable French superstrate in grammar, syntax and phonetics, as well as vocabulary. Some of our basic everyday words, such as very, question, use, face and second, are French. I was in Eastern Europe four decades ago, before they had much contact with Anglo-American culture. When I showed my friends a page of English text and they found so many familiar Latin and French words they said it was obviously a Romance language.
    "I hope [that? dictionary gives "to"] we never [verb present tense] away the [adjective] languages." (Words I already knew in bold.)

The online Swedish dictionary won't let me enter an umlaut so I couldn't look up glömmer, and it doesn't recognize forn/forna. Fortunately Swedish syntax is closer to English than German syntax is (there's that French superstrate) so it's easier to parse a sentence.
    You should have realized that I would have moved the thread to the Biology subforum long ago!

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

There's a lot of bugs in the language.

16. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

My English teacher would often pause to ponder a certain word and would then go on, at length, on the etymology and uses of that word, extending into synonyms and so on.
    Especially with puns, quibbles and the like...
    Sometimes this would last the entire lesson.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Do you think that you benefited from that or not?

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

............................hello?

19. Anouk Registered Member

I too think that ethymology must be a part of any language lesson at school.
    Especially for ones mothertongue and as an important extra in every new learned language.
    Last year I had a discussion with friends on todays society and its problems and the main conclusion was that to make sure that all subject of a society can communicate with eachother in a flexible way people must be schooled toroughly in 2 subjects at school: language (especially vocabulary and its ethymology) and 2. history. The more words somebody knows and the better somebody understands his own language, the better people are abble to precisely express their feelings/concerns etc. ...
    Just a thought we had over a bottle of good red wine

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I only learnt about etymology in my Latin classes and do enjoy it, understanding where words came from and how they might have changed over the centuries.

But I think it should be taught as part of an advanced English Language course (or whatever your first language is)... as in my country (UK) we have difficulty enough in teaching children to read and write that etymology would detract from those, I fear.
    Basically I can't quite see how it would improve any but more advanced students' understanding.
    As a separate course?... no, can't see that it has sufficient weight or purpose.
    But I do wish we had done more of it at school.

But then it might be that it is only of use as part of a Classics course... given that Latin and Greek provide so much of our basic language. Although we would then miss out on the influence of the Saxon, Celtic and other languages.

But certainly an introduction could be given as part of a standard / advanced language course.

21. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

My father worked a humble job with immigrants, most of whom spoke Polish, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. He thought it best to teach us kids what he called the "basics" in those languages: yes, no, please, thank you, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. This is the least a person could learn in a few common languages. For us Americans, it would behoove us to learn these basics (and a bit more, including common phrases and sentences) in French and Spanish, seeing as how we're sandwiched between Canada and Mexico.