Should Amanda Knox be freed, extradited, returned to the USA?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by WillNever, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

I must say I feel surprise. Imagine, you were sentenced for 26 years, you appealed, and then you were suddenly set free. Also you might make millions for the story, considering the high interest of the media about it.

I hope she will not take fortune from it. If it was really my friend who were murdered, I wouldn't take any fortune from the misery.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

How can you convict her of murder when there's this:

Nick Squires of The Daily Telegraph reported that Guede "...became a suspect in the murder two weeks after Miss Kercher's body was found, when DNA tests on a bloody fingerprint and on samples taken from the body were found to match samples which police already had on file following his earlier arrests."[54] A manhunt for a fourth suspect began on 19 November 2007 after a bloody handprint found on Kercher's pillow was matched to Guede. Guede had left Perugia by train a few days after the murder. Interpol had traced a computer that he had used in Germany to access Facebook and reply to a message from a Daily Telegraph journalist. In his message, Guede had said that he was aware that he was a suspect and wanted to clear his name. On 20 November 2007, the Bundespolizei arrested Guede on a train near Mainz, where he was apprehended for travelling without a ticket. When questioned, he stated that he was returning to Italy to give himself up. He was extradited to Italy on 6 December 2007.

DNA matching Guede's was found both on and inside Kercher's body and on her shirt, bra and handbag. A bloody handprint found on a pillow under Kercher's back was also matched to Guede. The prosecution argued that a severed piece of Kercher's bra, including its metal hooks, revealed traces of both her DNA and that of Sollecito. Knox's lawyers later argued that DNA evidence had been contaminated during the investigation at the crime scene and when the investigators accidentally moved the evidence during the 47-day delay in retrieving the samples. A June 2011 report by court appointed forensic experts concluded that there was not enough DNA on the bra clasp to retest, that the collection of the bra clasp evidence did not conform to internationally accepted procedures, and the collection was "in a context that was highly suggestive of ambient contamination".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Meredith_Kercher#Guede.27s_arrest

So I'm not surprised she has been freed. And since she's lost so many years behind bars I don't begrudge her whatever she would make from a book deal. Remember its only convicted murderers who are not allowed to make a profit from their stories.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

Lucy, you might wanna make a separate (new thread) about it, because the title no longer fits the content. I mean, this is a big news.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, I don't follow each details of the case. When this thread was started a couple of years ago, there seemed to be a lot of circumstantial evidence led to Amanda and her boyfriend, which was why people arguing in this thread.

Well, in the appeal today, she said "In four years I have lost a friend in a brutal and unexplained way." etc. So, was the victim her friend or what?

Of course it's not up to me if she wants to make profit from the stories. I just feel pity for the family who have lost their love one irreversibly. That's all. Or maybe, share the money with the victim's family, although it can not replace their love one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

@Kira

And remember when we ran into that little glitch of circumstantial evidence in the baby murder case? This is why jurors are careful not to condemn someone based on circumstantial evidence. It doesn't matter a hoot whether the victim was her friend or not, its irrelevant. I think there are a lot of victims in this, including Knox and her boyfriend who spent so much time in prison based on faulty evidence.

8. kira Valued Senior Member

In the Casey Anthony case, you mean? Well, she might be innocent, but I would never trust her, because she changed her stories all the time, making up lies, after lies, after lies... In my book, innocent people don't have to lie, so to me Casey Anthony is guilty.

I have no much detail idea about this case (the Kercher's murder), but I would be interested to know what is the confession of that other guy (Guede) who is convicted guilty. I think he confessed that he is guilty (and there are some hard evidence as well), so he must know whether he did it alone or together with Knox and her bf.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

He's a thief, he broke into their home and that's why his DNA was there. He doesn't know amanda or her boyfriend.

10. kira Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry, Lucy, it's been late over here, I must go offline after this post.

As far as I know, 3 people were charged with the murder, yes? Rudy Guede, Amanda Knox and her boyfriend. Guede eventually pleaded guilty to the murder. And what did he say about the other two? If he did it, shouldn't he know if the other two guilty or not? If he did it alone, he must have cleared the other two. If he did it with the other two, he must said so. He is a murderer and that makes him at the same time a witness for the whereabout of Amanda and her bf at the time of the murder, they were either there, or they were not there. Then again, I must google by myself later, maybe there is something about Rudy Guede's confession.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

He never said he killed the woman, he was apprehended for being a thief. Then he said he killed the girl and did it alone, the problem is that the cops thought they had the killers and so never pursued Guede on that account. They were hell bent on pinning it on knox and her boyfriend.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Truth to be told, now the whole bleach episode seems to be made up by the police. The receipt was dated earlier than the murder, there was no blood on the mop, etc.

What is happening in this world that I can't even believe in the internets anymore???

About false confessions:

http://www.economist.com/node/21525840

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. Bells Staff Member

So many things about this case just do not sit well..

And now this..

14. LoRaan Registered Senior Member

Actually I have done quite a bit of reserch on this case, bit theough transcripts, reports, and a detailed 48 hours Mystery Investigation.

The only evidence against Amanda Knox at all is after 72 hours of sleep, water, and food deprivation in a marathon interrogation that included some physical blows upon Ms Knowx was her her bascially saying. "If I say I killed her do i get to go to sleep."

There was no evidence against her, no murder weapon, no witnesses that placed her anywhere near her flat. in fact there were several witnesses that placed her at her beaus' house at the time of death.

There was also a point that they had already convisted a knowncriminal for the girls murder becuase of physical evidence. Including DNA and witnesses. The man even testified he had no accomplices.

15. Bells Staff Member

You mean the statements she made that were unsubstantiated and the very statements against the Police and Prosecutors which resulted in her being charged with slander and sentenced for slander as well, a charge that still stands and she has been released based solely on time served for that sentence? Those statements?

As for the eyewitnesses...

Police evidence was presented showing that Knox and Sollecito did not have alibis for the time of the murder. Sollecito maintained that he was at his apartment, using his computer.[91] Police computer analysts testified that his computer had not been used between 9:10 on the evening of the murder and 5:32 the next morning.[91] Knox has maintained that she was with Sollecito at the time, but during police questioning after 10 pm on Monday 5 November 2007, Sollecito said that he could not be certain she was with him when he was asleep.[92] Their version of events was contradicted by a witness, who testified that he had seen Knox and Sollecito chatting animatedly on a basketball court around five times between 9.30 and midnight on the night of the murder.[93] At the appeals trial, the witness, a homeless heroin addict who has appeared as a witness in a number of murder trials, offered contradicting testimony concerning the date he said he saw Knox and Sollecito and other crucial details about his testimony.[94][95][96] A Perugia shopkeeper testified that Knox had gone to his supermarket at 7:45 on the morning after the murder, at a time when she was, according to her account, still at Sollecito's.[97] The shopkeeper first informed police of his recollection months after the crime occurred at the prompting of a reporter who was his friend.[98][27] A worker in the shop testified that she had not seen Knox.[5]:286[58]:84

Knox told the court that she had been with Sollecito in his apartment on the night of the murder.[87][99] The defence stated that, despite having put forward several different theories, the prosecution had produced no convincing evidence of a motive for murder.[87] Knox testified that she regarded Kercher as her friend and had no reason to kill her.[8]

[Source]

Only she and her boyfriend knows of their involvement or non-involvement in that murder. Relying on the media for any source of information is a bad idea since it was all so contradictory and sensationalised and her statements were constantly being revised as she kept contradicting herself. It will forever be a case of 'did she or did she not?'.. No one will ever truly know. But I do think it is telling that her diary, which she will most probably sell for money, barely rates a mention of the cherished friend who was murdered..

16. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

At least from what I have seen, the British media seems to think she's guilty too. Whose to say that (just as the Italians and the Brits are biased) that perhaps Americans aren't as well?

As for the question of whether we'd be right in getting her back "on our own terms" if we couldn't trust the Italian legal system...legally no, morally perhaps. If we can do it, though, then so can other nations, so don't be surprised when mexico starts busting its citizens out of jail in the U.S., because the Mexican press is pretty sure that they can't trust (for example) Texas courts.

IMO one person is not worth setting up a regime in which any country can take unilateral action to take back citizens in the legal custody of another nation...let alone to invoke such a system in the name of placating the outrage of the citizenry, who are (let's face it) prone to be driven by passion more than reason, and yet to assert that they are being reasonable.

The better solution of for the State Department to put pressure on the Italians behind the scenes in a face-saving manner.

17. Bells Staff Member

*Cough*

She has already been released and is back in the US..

*Cough*

18. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

Oh, obviously I wasn't following this trivial news story (how many people are on Death Row in the U.S.? I don't follow their stories one-by-one either.) I was responding to it as a general proposition based on reports I've heard sporadically.

So all the overwrought "Italians are teh evilsz00rs!" rhetoric was completely unwarranted bullshit then.

WillNever owes Italy (and Italian woman, and those two female Italian guards in particular) an apology.

19. Chipz Banned Banned

The U.S. should tell Italy if Knox isn't released in the next month, we will start bombing their cities, and if she's not released in 6 months we will start considering nukes.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, this is a fascinating case. My gut tells me there's an answer in it somewhere. Or perhaps I'm just being optimistic.

You know, there's what seems to be a fairly comprehensive Wiki entry on it. We could, as a group, go through each element of the case thereby and build a picture of the entire event. Personally, I'm very interested in the case: I've developed a deep suspicion of legal process and I want to prove that there can exist such a thing as justice within law. A restoration of faith, let's say.

Syz: do you have a link to the bleach being purchased earlier than the murder? It seems that a lot of the circumstance hinges on this, since the forensic evidence has been questioned, and quite possibly accurately so.

Similarly, do you have a link to her statement, or a transcript?

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Bump.

It has been almost 15 years ago since I created this thread, and I still am right, LOL. Amanda Knox was acquitted in 2015 after the true murderer was apprehended and found guilty. And after so many embarrassing mistakes by Italian investigators.

Yes, lol.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Back in 2009, in the same thread, I wrote:
    I was interested to find out more, so I followed the news about the case.

I was glad to see that justice prevailed in the end. Although, as it turns out, the initial charging of Knox for the murder should never have happened in the first place.