Shhh! Don't tell the Democrats! The federal deficit is shrinking...

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by OliverJ, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

no! spidergoat is back into the site? but he was gone for SOO long, and i enjoyed my amity without his irritating posts. well i guess if michale moore can take it, i guess so can i.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Imperfectionist Pope Humanzee the First Registered Senior Member

The nation's poverty rate rose to 12.7 percent of the population last year, the fourth consecutive annual increase, the Census Bureau said Tuesday.
    (The New York Times)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

The poverty rate? It's a joke.
    05's level is $9,570. Do some simple math and you come out to an hourly wage of $4.60 with a 40 hour work week. Mind you, that this is before taxes. So let me ask you, where do you go to get a job that pays $4.60 per hour when federal minimum is $5.75. Of course that doesn't apply to employees who recieve tips.
    Don't work 40 hours a week? Why not? That is less than a 1/4 of the total hours available each week. Let's assume you must get 8 hours of sleep everynight. That still leaves 112 hours in a week. Still more that 2 1/2 times 40.

Let's look at how the stat is figured:

Includes earnings, unemployment compensation,
    workers’ compensation, Social Security, Supplemental
    Security Income, public assistance, veterans’ payments,
    survivor benefits, pension or retirement income, interest,
    dividends, rents, royalties, income from estates, trusts,
    educational assistance, alimony, child support, assistance
    from outside the household, and other miscellaneous
    sources. *

Meaning that all the low lifes out there living off wellfare and alimony get counted in. Meaning that the people making a good living under the table so they can cheat on their taxes, don't. People on unemployment get counted. People living with others and not holding down a job will also skew the stat, as long as they pay taxes. Students living in dorms and not holding down jobs will skew the stat.

It also doesn't count things like foodstamps and housing subsidies... you know, things all us lucky non poverty stricken bastards have to pay for.

Look at what you are babblilng about before quoting federal stats as evidence of anything.

I've lived just fine off of 5k a year. Anyone with a little motivation can do the same.
    To make 15k a year (before taxes assuming a rate of 30%) it requires a job to pay under $7.25 an hour. Not unbelievable by anymeans, or hard to find if you are willing to swallow your pride and do shit work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Imperfectionist Pope Humanzee the First Registered Senior Member

So, poor people really aren't poor? What are you saying? Whatever the standard by which we measure being a "low-life" poor person, the numbers are increasing, since the standards haven't changed in real terms.

Bastard.

8. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Firstly, learn to read. Or, assuming that you can, stop misquoting. I never once said "low-life poor people" or anything of the sort. I refered to the people living off the system, instead of getting jobs, as low-lifes. Secondly, it's spelled out pretty clearly what I am saying. The statistic isn't an acurate representation of what you are attmepting to portray. Are you expecting us to pay students over 10k a year to go to school? That would get that large section of the stat above the poverty level. We should up wellfare too while we're at it, right? Make it more attractive than it all ready is to sit on your ass and not get a job.

Bastard? Why? Because I've lived a decent amount of my life under that poverty line and have always refused to take aid that I didn't need? That I am saying you can live decently at about half that level? Hell, one year I made less than three grand, and was still eating steaks at least once a week. But knowing how to budget my income and still enjoy life probably makes me even more of a bastard, right?

Statistics are skewed, plain and simple. Another one is the unemployment stat. Did you know that because of how it is complied it is actually impossible to have a 0% percent unemployment? Even if every member of the population is working?

But I suppose that pointing out the truth makes me a bastard as well, right?

9. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

And, if you want to get real technical, yes, they have changed. First of all, there are two different statistics that can be used. secondly, since mid 99 they have been looking into several revisions to how the stat is calcualted because it doesn't take into effect the cost of living in different locations. To make that simple for you, $500 doesn't spend the same everywhere.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It certainly happens, but not always.

Oh really?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Any evidence?

Truth? Where?

11. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Hmmm. Maybe I was a little off here. Maybe I was using out-dated information. Let's see. What is "12.7 percent" of almost 300,000,000 (pronounced million) people? 10% is 30,000,000 people. So, what, almost 39,000,000 people now, below the poverty level. I wonder how many kids, children, tikes, lads, lasses, etc., etc. are starving in good ole america the great? Ahh, but america the great is so great, isn't it? Bull-fucking-shit.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

There's no such thing as a simple statistic. There's just way too many things that need to be taken into account. Eventough we can have a sample large enough to mimic the population, the sample needs to be a reflection, or, in a metaphorical way, a direct mirrored image of the population. If that is achieved, then the statistic is accurate. Otherwise (which is often the case), then, it is not as accurate.

The research always needs to be carefully studied....

13. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You are so right, Mephura. "$500 doesn't spend the same everywhere."

Let's see, $5000.00 a year. That is $416.00 a month. Still living at home with mom and pop Mephura? They paying for your internet connection too? Or are you just mooching off them, or your mate? You, my moron, are an idiot. Anyone here can tell that you have NEVER lived in america the great on your own. You need to go crying to your mommy. Fucking idiot.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/archive/index.php/t-44808.html

This is a little bit old, but it can give you an idea...

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cottontop... maybe you are going a little bit too hard on the kid....

Worlwide statistics, if you are interested....
    http://www.unicefusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=duLRI8O0H&b=262152

http://www.prb.org/

"U.S. Economic Inequality Through the Prisms of Income and Consumption
    by Barbara Boyle Torrey

(August 2005) Between 1981 and 2001, economic inequality increased substantially in the United States. This increase is apparent regardless of which data or formulas are used to measure it—and regardless of whether the resource measured is income or consumption."

http://earthtrends.wri.org/povlinks/index.cfm

16. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

17. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Or you can actually learn to read.
    I said I have lived, and I have. Mommy and Daddy? Not quite, ass clown.
    Ever heard of roomates? I guess that kind of simple thinking might be to difficult for one that can't even pick up on the tense of a sentence though. Since you missed it the first time, that sentences said "I've" as in I have, as in in the past tense, moron. Did I say I am living on 5k a year? No.. I did not.

SInce you've figured up the monthly, let me fill you in on expenditures:
    200 a month for rent, another 100 for bills. That leaves how much?
    $116...
    I didn't drive much and the car got about 35 miles to the gallon, so you can subtract about another 30 for gas and that leaves, $84. My normal diet at that point ran up to about 12 dollars a week (yeah, i had it figured up) so there is another $48 gone now leaving us with $36.
    Not a whole lot, but enough to allow for some fun.Not too fucking difficult if one tries and finds the right situation.

and, little cottontop, mommy and daddy aren't needed.
    And actually, yeah, you fucking imbicile, i have lived in this country, all my life, and a large portion of that has been on my own.

18. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Kid?
    Hardly...

As for the growing distance between the rich and poor, where have i said that isn't the case?
    Secondly, when did anyone here say america was the land of milk and honey?
    IF you two idealist fucks want to make such a difference, why don't you sell those computers give up teh internet, and sell all the other shit you've worked hard to get and go spread the wealth.
    Personally, I worked hard to dig myself out of a hole. Piss on the rest of them.
    "But they're children.."
    BooHoo. More children means more adults means higher unemployment and more fucking children. Let 'em die.

Just think of how good your stats would look if 640 million of them did just that tonight. Then you could pat each other on the back and smile at how your bleeding heart bullshit saved the world.

You have all those stats about increased household debt and lowered household worth and you blame it on unemployment or who is in office of this tax cut or that tax hike.
    Funny, my debt has only gone down, and I started below that magical poverty level of yours. My secret? Get a job, pay your bills and don't spend money you don't have.
    Real fucking simple.

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah, yeah, I knew all that. But that doesn't mean it is completely impossible to have 0% unemployment, just means that it's very hard.

In fact, even if we would get such a figure, chances are there would be people unemployed, since the statistics don't take into account people that gave up on trying to find a job....

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

My God, man!!!! You need a better diet!!!!

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Because we can use it to produce wealth?

You are OUT of the hole!?!?!?

Now we know why there are so many psychopaths and inmates in america.....

You get really mad with the truth, don't you?

Look at the figures and find correlations....
    Oh...! And study economics.....

Wow... you have a life, eh?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What is your marginal propensity to save? Are you accumulating any wealth at all? Where do you work? Burger King?

23. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I doubt your honesty.
    Yes, I can read, idiot. You also did not specify, idiot, just what your current moronic situation was, so I chose a particular notion that suited my purposes. Got a problem with that, idiot?

You have to find the right situation, though, don't you, idiot? You sound like a mooch, to me. What did you eat on $48.00 a month? Dog food? What year was this? 1957?

Sure.
    What are you, a street-dweller? Hippie? Punk-ass bitch? Go back into hiding, you fucking moron. By the way, imbecile is spelled in this fashion.