Shall Terri Schiavo die?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Saint, Mar 24, 2005.

1. okinrus Registered Senior Member

A lot of prolifers are against the capital punishment. The Pope is at least. For some people who are pro-capital punishment their support of the death penalty is hypocrisy. They believe they're so far removed from committing those crimes that they want to kill those who do. But for most people, it's cultural training. These people have been taught all their lives the death penalty improves society and stops criminals, and so they believe they're being tough on crime.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Those trying to keep Teri connected to a feeding tube are using archaic definitions of life and death.

Until modern times, death was generally defined as having a functioning heart. Until several hundred years ago, the heart was considered the basis or source of our emotions. Popular songs still have lyrics suggesting this.

In the absence of modern medical technology, it was very reasonable to equate life with a beating heart and death as cessation of heart activity.

We now know that the heart is a pump, merely a mechanical device. Its functioning is necessary to life, but its functioning cannot be considered a sufficient condition.

Teri is not alive, although those on both sides of the issue use terms like "allowing her to die", “keeping her alive”, "Starving her to death", et cetera. The semantics of these statements imply that she is alive, when she is actually dead.

When the cerebral cortex ceases to function, a person is no longer alive. There is no memory, no rational thought processes, no personality, no plans for the future, no desire for life, et cetera. Without those intellectual and emotional processes, there is no longer a person. There are cases of people recovering after being as a coma for years, but people in Teri’s condition do not recover. Being brain dead is being dead.

This is a different situation than deciding that a mentally retarded person or a person with few physical functions and a functioning brain has a poor quality of life and should be put to death.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I had an interesting conversation with my mother the other day about this very issue. Now my mother is a Catholic pro-life type of person, so when she brought this topic up in one of her phone calls to me the other week, I was expecting her to state that she should be kept alive. I was stunned to say the least when she almost angrily declared that 'what they were doing to that poor girl was cruel'. 'Come again Mum?' Her reply was that 'the woman is dead and it's way past time for the parents to let her go.. because she's already gone'. Huh??? :bugeye: Had she been in front of me, I'd have gladly hugged her with congratulations that she'd finally seen the light. But then a thought crossed into my mind. Was mother trying to appease her pregnant and unwell daughter so as not to get me riled up?... hmmm... Upon asking, she advised me that when someone gets like that, you should not keep them around to soothe yourself. The first thought that came to my mind was that she has seen the light at last...

This case has been around for years. As much as the family may wish for her to still be there, medical evidence states that Terri has in fact left the building, leaving behind a mere shell. To think that she has been in this condition for so many years with her family fighting so hard to keep her that way is a tad disturbing. Even more disturbing is Governor Bush attempting to get custody of Terri to keep her alive. The family's argument that Terri's husband wish to be rid of her is sad considering that he could have just gotten a divorce right from the start and let her remain in the care of her family and not have fought so hard and so long to give his wife what he's sure she would have wanted. Would anyone wish to remain in Terri's position for as long as she has? I know I sure as hell wouldn't, and I know I would not let my child remain so either. This goes beyond dying with dignity. This is about letting someone go no matter how much it may hurt. The family need to ask themselves if their daughter would have wanted to remain as she has been for so long. The woman has gone. The essence of who she was and what she had been is no longer there. She is a mere shell being kept alive because the parents don't want to let her go.

Sadly, this has turned into a political issue, with threats to the Federal Government that they will pay if they do not step in to keep her alive. Ironically, this is the same Government that never steps in to keep someone on death row alive, but that's another thing altogether. This has gone to the courts and the courts have ruled, correctly in my own opinion, that she should be allowed to die. The parents in my view should not have a say in the matter. Terri was an adult when she had her heart attack. She had left the family home and was no longer dependant on them for anything and had married and was creating a life of her own. It should not now be up to the parents to decide that she should be kept alive on a machine. I can't imagine that it would have been easy for the husband to take that final decision. This is not something that one does or takes lightly. He has stuck by what Terri would have wanted, not to mention that all the legal wrangling against the family and the Government would have cost him a fortune. In short, the woman is dead. It's time to let her be dead instead of being a political symbol for pro-lifers and the Christian Right groups. They should respect her for what she was and what she would have wanted. Most importantly, so should her family.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Who gets to make the arbitrary decision on what should constitue "alive" and what should not for the people? You perhaps?

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

The more technology advances, the harder it becomes to decide what is just, what is right, what is wrong -- morality seems more and more arbitrary.
    And, I'm afraid, *is* more and more arbitrary.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  9. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Well the essence of morality hasn't changed much then. But the question remains: Who gets to decide for everyone else? Why "Ethics, Morality, & Justice" if there is no justice in letting the hilltop decide for the hill? Morality is necessarily incongruous with justice - if we maintain justice to be "blind". That must be why kids are sent to schools and church, to be indoctrinated and to learn to conform to order as someone else would have it. Empty vessels thirsting for another's water.

Watershame.

10. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

SouthStar: I am willing to let the medical experts decide who is dead and who is alive. For somebody who is brain dead, I think some active method should be used to stop the heart from beating. Why expend medical services on behalf of a corpse? A morphine overdose seems called for in these situations.

If some depressed person put a shotgun in his mouth and totally destroyed his brain, modern medical science (if not today then 50 years from now) might be able to keep his heart beating and his other organs working for weeks or even years. Would you keep somebody in that state for even 5 minutes?

11. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

So let's bury her.

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

That's fine and dandy for you. But if I remember correctly, you spoke of a "we" as if you were deciding for all individuals. Just don't rub your beliefs on others.

Again you ask such a very pointless question. It is not my place to judge and decide for someone else. Once you set that precedent, you point the shotgun down your own throat. Be careful with that thing.

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

SouthStar: You do not remember correctly.
    I used “we” in the following context.
    I see nothing wrong with that statement. I do not see it as rubbing my beliefs on others. As indicated by the following, I do not claim to be an expert on who is alive and who is dead.
    Do not try to win debate points by distorting what others have posted.

14. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Any person with any background at all in the English language will tell you that the introduction of the pronoun 'we' in argumentation is a rhetorical device, an appeal to the audience's taste, moral, knowledge etc. concerning what has been said or is about to be said (depending on context).

You apparently do not understand your own argument.

Not that it matters now anyway. I've said what I needed to.

15. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

SouthStar: Cut out the nonsense and nit picking. If you prefer, I will restate as follows.
    • The medical experts now view the heart as a pump, not the seat of our emotions. They do longer view the fact that is it beating as a sufficient condition to consider a person to be alive.
    Sorry I used "we" instead of "medical experts" I agree that you should not tolerate such a snide use of a rhetorical device in an attempt to befuddle you. You are to be congratulated for being erudite enough to see through such a ruse.

Do you feel better now that I have admitted my attempt to deceive?

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, all the important parts are already dead. You are putting to rest a semi animate slab of meat. If I am wrong, she should still be put to rest. Lying there in such a reduced state without hope of communication or recovery can be summed up in a single word... hell.

It would be a dire crime to continue her existence... provided there is enough there to feel anything.

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

She still has the ability to beg her mother for mercy apparently.

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

Terri Schiavo should be pimped-out ala 'Kill Bill' to pay for the grotesque medical bills she's run up.

If she can earn it, they can keep the feeding tube there.

Dignity, shmignity!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  19. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

20. Internationalist Banned Banned

What kills about pro-lifers is that they had put out death threats against the husband and the judge...love religion.

21. Bells Staff Member

Court battles for around 7 years can do that for you. She's become the new cornerstone in the Right to Life campaigns. She's become political fodder as the right battles with the left. She's become a quasi religious symbol as the Right to Life camp battle the evil husband to keep her alive because she is one of God's children. Pathetic really. Here is the shell of a woman who groans every once in a while, not because she is trying to communicate but her body just lets out sound here and there and all of a sudden that groan is a statement to her parents that she wants to live.

I was in hospital today for the obligatory tests and scans and as I was waiting for my ultrasound, there was a tearful woman around the same age as I sitting next to me in the waiting area, telling these two other women that her husband had been brought into the hospital last week with chest pains and was told this morning that at most, he had 6 weeks left and that he could in the meantime suffer severe brain damage and the scans he was currently undergoing would give a clearer degree of what to expect. Bad enough as that was, this woman then said that her husband had already contacted their lawyer to draw up power of attorney documents so that if he did become brain damaged and he could not communicate his wishes, that his wife was to tell them to turn off the machine because his wife said that he did not want to end up like that woman in the US if his parents tried to fight to keep him alive. I was thankfully called in at that point, but what struck me about what she'd said was that her husband at such a time was scared in case he was kept alive if his family fought to keep him alive in the courts. That stayed with me all day and instead of enjoying the scan to look at my own growing parasite kicking and moving, I just kept thinking of that woman and thought that it's a sad day when one's own wishes can be over-ruled by selfish family members, leaving one in pain and without any dignity whatsoever.

No it's not. But it'd be a painful way to go if the pain receptors in the brain was still active. Personally I'd want a giant dose of morphine to send me on my way without pain. On that note:

Hmmm... what a Dad!! Doesn't want his daughter's suffering to end too quickly. One would think he would want the doctors to give her the morphine to hasten her death, thereby ending her enduring suffering. Some should tell dear old dad that the human body will always try to survive, regardless of whether Terri is there or not, which she is not. Terri is dead, but her body is still alive. Hugging that body won't bring her back. In cases like these, parents really should respect their child's wishes instead of their own selfish needs and wants. Of course no parent wants to watch their child die, but one should not circumvent the child's wishes in such a situation. If Terri had said that she would not want to have the machine turned off or feeding tube removed and she wanted to be resuscitated against all costs, then the parents would be correct in upholding her wishes. But this is not the case and their daughter's wishes should be respected.

From that news article, I'm guessing that the next legal battle over Terri will be whether she be cremated or buried.

The thing about the pro-lifers that one should always keep in mind is that they are willing to and have killed to ensure that a life is protected and that the life is not ended unless that death is the result of their God's doing. The irony would be delicious if it wasn't so damned pathetic.

22. okinrus Registered Senior Member

She wasn't suffering until the courts decided to starve her to death. We also don't know her true desire. Sure, several years ago she may have said she didn't want to be kept on life support, but I doubt she said she wanted to be starved to death. Furthermore, the parents argument is that she could recover.

She's not brain death. She's in a persistent vegistative state. But more to the matter, if she was dead, we wouldn't be using the pronoun "she", instead using something more on the lines of "body".

She's not no a machine or "life support". Her wishes are unclear. Did she want to be removed when there was no chance of recovery? Is there a chance? Some doctors say so, and, knowing the increase medical technology, she might have a good chance..

I'm not sure what you mean here? If there's direct causation, they kill in self defence or to preserve life. Otherwise, sure, there's a few "criminals". But remember, those fighting against slavery had quite a few more "criminals".

23. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Okinrus: You are correct, the language used implies that a living person is being discussed. Calling it “she” and saying “allowing her to starve to death” implies that the object being discussed is a living human being, which is not the situation..

Our language has not kept up with modern medical technology. Teri does not fit our notion of a corpse because the heart is beating and various other organs are functioning, so everybody is reluctant to call it a corpse. However, it is not a living human being in the absence of higher brain functions. The best we can come up with is “persistent vegetative state.”

I find it hard to understand how anyone considers Teri alive in the absence of consciousness, memory of the past, plans for the future, emotions. The doctors who examined her carefully and ran tests do not claim that she is alive. The doctors who claim otherwise only viewed videos. I sympathize with her parents, but their view is merely wishful thinking, a refusal to face reality.

The British have studied this problem and passed some laws. DeeCee posted the following URL
    • http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/pvs
    It provides a rational point of view consistent with modern medical technology. 12 months in a persistent vegetative state is strongly suggested as sufficient to consider the situation beyond hope. After 7-8 years, there was no hope at all, which is about how long the husband waited before taking legal action.

The medical profession should have the courage to back their knowledge with more forceful actions and push for legislation allowing them to actively terminate the body when they are certain that there is no longer any hope. Why wait for lack of nutrition and water to end it?

Our laws will someday define a subject like Teri as dead after being in that state for a lot less than 7-8 years.