Sf Posting Etiquette, Rules Interpretation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by hypewaders, Dec 4, 2010.

1. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

LOL, listen to you fusty old curmudgeons, demanding that those durned teenagers get off your lawn with their lolspeak.

It's the age of the text message. People write in fast, abbreviated forms. Twitter is the new norm. Resist the urge to be a petty authoritarian about it - it'll just make you that much more irrelevant.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I never said I liked CH's posting style...it's sort of like "text speak"...where you have to sound it out to get the meaning. It can be frustrating. I'm sure Fraggle could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and poop out better spelling.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'll leave that to your greater experience in the matter.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't say that I "like" it either, but this is the world we live in. There are way, way, way bigger problems here than a couple of people who use too much lolspeak. That multiple mods are wasting their time debating What Should Be Done About The Textspeak Menace like this is pretty much a travesty, given the context.

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Actually, for the record, no moderator brought up the discussion of cluelesshusbund here. Also for the record he has zero (0) infractions and more friends than I've ever seen on a member page.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I didn't say anything about "brought up," nor is such relevant to anything. I said we have multiple moderators wasting time debating it. And so we do.

Anyway, it just is not a problem at the forum level. If fewer people are inclined to read his posts, or take him seriously, or whatever, then that's his problem. He can change his post style if he's unhappy with the results. Everyone else can read him, ignore him, ask for clarification, or whatever. So, what is the policy issue here? That it's poor pedagogy for people with limited English proficiency? That's fucking specious.

Meanwhile, this whole spectacle of mods giving eachother hand jobs for being grammatically superior to a member - and then calling out the member to answer to such bullying - is disgusting. And in a thread about "etiquette" in the Open Government subforum, no less. You're burning credibility and manufacturing ill will here - and I suggest you reverse course quickly and dramatically.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

No sanctions have been applied, which seems to please the membership at this point. All that CH has had to endure is honest peer opinions on his posting style, which we are all subject to. I'm content to drop the subject.

Next case, please.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Moderators are not peers of regular users - they enjoy an asymmetric power relationship, tilted in their favor. To have moderators openly discuss what should be done about you - even if they decide "nothing" - is necessarily an act of intimidation, doubly so when it takes place in the OG subforum, and in a thread dedicated to posting policy and guidelines. The fact that you decided to let him keep his lunch money today doesn't disqualify you and Fraggle as bullies.

And if you didn't already understand that stuff, then your plainly unfit to moderate, for that reason alone.

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I have already opined on your concern (post # 11 here) I do understand, and have nothing more to add:

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

the moderators in this thread have done nothing but respond to the regular users posts.
    this does NOT qualify them as bullies.

I have seen moderators on other forums that are far worse than anything i have seen here.in comparison the moderators here have been fair and just and the only complaints i have seen here about the moderators have been from the users who have required moderation..

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What's so specious about courtesy to our many non-anglophone members? We have members who actually read these boards with translation software. Do you have any idea what they go through when they encounter one of CH's little adolescent pranks? Is his goal to be the first person to crash an automated dictionary?

This is supposed to be a place of science and scholarship. We Moderators are charged with making it so; it's our frelling JOB! Since it's not actually an academy we are, in my opinion, highly tolerant of jokes, good-natured insults, and other foolishness. On my boards I don't even worry too much about off-topic diversions so long as they have some relationship to the original topic. But then we're supposed to put our lab coats back on and get back to the discussion at hand.

CH doesn't even own a lab coat. He's not here to learn anything or to help anyone achieve enlightenment. He's like a precocious fourteen-year-old who thinks his own stooopid crap is so entertaining that he has the right to disrupt any discussion with it and we'll thank him for the laughs. If this were an academy, he'd be the doofus who can't stop throwing erasers. He is a textbook illustration of the word "troll," and trolling is a violation of the site rules.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I only ever see anglophones complaining about cluelusshusbund [please spell the member name correctly]
    I have yet to see a single ESL person have an issue with his posts.

16. Gustav Banned Banned

frag
    i feel left out
    could you smack me around for a bit?
    y'know, like old times
    before clueless clueluss, the attention whore, shamelessly grabbed the limelight

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

When in a foreign culture, most people are reluctant to complain about things that inconvenience them when the cause of the inconvenience is, precisely, their foreignness. They feel that it is their duty to learn the strange ways of the new place, or suffer in silence. In other words they think it's the height of rudeness to complain about the way other people run their own homes.

Of course this is not universal. Anglophones are generally less likely to tolerate anything that seems impenetrably foreign to them, even in someone else's land. And of course Americans are worse than all other anglophones because our country is so large geographically that most of us rarely have the experience of actually being within someone else's culture.

My point is that one of the responsibilities of the Moderators is to look after the welfare of our esteemed non-anglophone guests.
    To use my same model, if CH is fourteen, you're at least seventeen--although perhaps just as precocious. You have some semblance of maturity, some sense of yourself as a member of a civilization, some acknowledgment of your obligation to give back to it something of at least equal value to what you take from it. You contribute to SciForums and you keep your joking within reasonable limits. Although I find much of what you post utterly inscrutable, I'm prepared to assume that it's just my own deficiency, since others seem to find you quite articulate. Although non-anglophones may have as much or more trouble than I do understanding your writing, it will be because your ideas and your way of framing them is foreign, not just in nationality or language but in the way you think. For all I know you could be the next William Faulkner, a writer who gives me a headache but is considered an American master.

So please carry on, and I'll continue to regard your posts as unlikely to contain rule violations and therefore not in need of my headache-inducing personal review.

18. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

I think the Mod's here are actually quite lenient compared to another forum I got permanently banned from without warning after complaining of an athiest conspiracy. Perhaps there is a case to say that there are certain abbreviations that can be agreed to be acceptable, with a note to foreign language speakers to aid thier decyphering abilities?

19. Emil Valued Senior Member

Thanks,
    I appreciate that.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

As for mod leniency this place is great

Unless they are french

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL2273073120070523
    Survey of European hotels found Americans to neither be the best nor worse tourist, in fact Americans were quite good, the french though, they are the worse. So don't short change US, I'm not saying the morbidly obese, rude disgusting American is not a myth, merely that they aren't as common as most assume.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The premise that they can't read lolspeak as well as anyone, or otherwise require dumbing down post content.

Actually that's less specious than infantilizing, but whatever...

The same thing they go through when reading 95% of all anonymous message boards on the internet. His posts are easy enough to ignore if they rankle somebody.

This is all just the invention of a pretext for petty grammar nazis to target CH.

/snort!

And it's something y'all have failed at spectacularly from the get-go. This place is interesting - when it is interesting - primarily because of the vast gulf between pretensions like that and the reality of the site.

That description would apply just as well to probably 95% of the posters here. This is a troll site, and it's going to take more than just targetting CH's lolspeak to make it something other than that. Hell, CH is the least of your problems, in that regard.

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I am in support of moving SciForums appreciably further in that direction. I think the best place to start is in building a consensus to do that: Less content patterned on the 3 stooges, more of it patterned after http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman[/url] Thank you for registering here which side you're on, quadraphonics

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  23. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

define science
    define scholarship
    define penalties for not conforming..

oh wait..those are the 'christians' who censor and condem those who's don't conform..