Serial Thread Posting

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by ULTRA, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed certain people repeatedly posting new threads rather looking after the ones they've already posted. There must be thousands of frivoulous posts lying around in the archives. If it's important enough to make a thread, why not then follow it to its logical conclusion? If it's not important, why post it? Do members have responsibility for thier threads? :shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Some people think that this is like an Answers board, where you come along and pop a question. They tend to neglect that this boards been up for over 10 years and somewhere in the archives the question they ask has likely been asked before multiple times.

I guess we could attempt to educate people to this fact, however I don't think they would learn.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Would it be worth having a "Quick Question" spot so it didn't clog up the board so much?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What am I overlooking?

Perhaps the first thing to mind as I read your answer is the term thread necromancy.

What is our balance between updating an old thread and trying to bring the corpse back to life?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If we really expected new members to search old threads, we'd need much better search facility than the one we currently have.

9. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

There's so much stuff in the archives, ploughing through it all looking for something specific seems a bit daunting. As a necromancer myself, I do return to threads I've had a new thought on. This has the advantage of reminding me of the story so far, and the insights of others. This seems to me to be far preferable to having to explain the situation from scratch.