Self centred Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by answers, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord

Your ability to split linguistic hairs is breathtaking
    I guess that just leaves the minor point about bringing in an issue about leprechauns to the table in a discussion about god
    so correct me if I am wrong

you are suggesting that the onus is on the person making the claim?

One can however contextualize one's beliefs by calling upon greater (or lesser) issues to determine their value. Surely you are no stranger to this.

(What do you think are the implications of drawing an object .... particularly an object of authority like say a politician, god or a CEO .... with a leprechaun?)
    do you recognize that as a position of ignorance, namely because they neglect the means that comes with the claim?

hence ....

Answering to that onus, the first thing one would provide is a means to determine the claim. Ironically atheists are not at all eager to work with such an idea, preferring to work with the fideistic model.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.... I'm beginning to wonder whether I might be required to provide them for your benefit

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You confuse words, ignore explanations & unjustifiably assume the opposite of what a person is saying yet you complain of someone spitting hares.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

For the one who doesn't believe something or thinks something is silly, there is the 'onus' of common decency, at least that.

If you don't believe something or if you think something is silly, then what does it say about you that you continually get yourself into situations where you say 'The onus is all on you, I don't have to do anything, it is up to you to prove your claim to me' -?

It says that you are someone who does not spend his time and energy wisely: that you are just airing your vanity and wish to be respected for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swarm Registered Senior Member

Pictures! Pictures! I recommend hot and scantily clad metaphors with their allusions all but hanging out!

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Hell I would be mightily impressed to see some one spitting hares.

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

In the context of this discussion: Not at all. Of course if you think it aids your argument feel free to go right ahead. Hopefully, in either case, you've finally understood the point.

Sheesh, guess not.

It doesn't matter if you think the god notion is more acceptable, believable and credible than leprechauns to someone that doesn't believe in either.

The onus is not on the person that believes what you claim is nonsense - regardless to whether it is in fact nonsense or not. Do you understand? If you understand just say "yes". I've already put my bet down.

No. I am stating that the onus rests upon the person making the claim to positive existence, and no onus upon the person that doesn't believe that claim to positive existence.

It's entirely irrelevant to the point. The first I believe in, the second I don't, the third I do and, for discussions sake, the fourth I don't. What has that got to do with my statements concerning onus?

Well, I am under the impression that not believing a god exists, (or whatever else), requires one not having any knowledge that this god exists and hence.. it certainly is a position of ignorance to the reality of the claim, (if said claim is in fact real). What we should note is that it isn't really a matter of neglecting evidence etc but that one is not convinced by that claimed 'evidence'.

As far as gods go, the "evidence" is typically cited as: cosmo, moral, teleo and some bits and bobs here and there. Such 'evidence' is utterly unconvincing to me - in fact I find it somewhat pathetic. There's still no onus on me to go and "prove" that a god didn't ever create a universe.

I will, for the sake of this discussion, just pretend that you're the authority on atheists and their levels of eagerness. It's inconsequential because it's irrelevant.

----

It doesn't get any more "decent". The religious continue in the actions of their beliefs without being disturbed. Of course one should expect that there are limits - it is fine to believe that the government don't care about you and want to see you all poor, it's another thing entirely to then shoot the president.

As far as what I would call 'acceptable limits' go, christians have gone far beyond them - but then this is understandable given our history.

If you believe in Santa, I wouldn't punch you in the face - but I should not be expected to like or conform to your belief system should it impact my daily life. That of course is an issue of human rights - something my country has signed up to and something that I agree with. No, not every country has.

It says that I live in a society where a great deal of people have the same silly beliefs and keep thinking I should share it too. As far as forum discussion go, it's a way for people to question and discuss that nonsense - something I don't personally think reflects negatively upon the questioner.

I disagree. Tell me though - as you seem to be the authority on what is or is not "wise" - how should I be spending my time?

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord
    Its not clear how it aids yours
    The problem is however that we live in a world that grants consequences to "knowledge" that are commonly termed "ignorance".
    So if you have two people, one arguing from the point of a claim of knowledge and the other from the point of the uninformed and/or disbelieving such a claim, what tools come to the forefront to resolve such an issue?
    (I assume you wouldn't satisfied to live in a country where only half of the population accepted the knowledge based claim on what side of the road to drive)
    hehe

perhaps in a world where metaphor and analogy does not exist.

Beliefs are commonly valued according to the environments (or more specifically in your case, narrative tools) that contextualize them.

And from the value of beliefs comes a host of issues that determine quality on so many different levels.

If you disagree, make a list of the pending social issues that have been resolved by the use of leprechauns and see what patterns emerge.

Wait up, one step at a time.

We were talking specifically about nanotechnology.

You made the assertion that a person who does not believe it has no onus on them to know it.

I asked whether you recognize this is from the position of ignorance.
    So IOW, you would agree that there are some problems arising at the "process" stage of the claim?
    Given that fideism admits that it doesn't have a "process" stage to its claim, small wonder it is the favourite pre-occupation of atheists

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Inconsequential to the point.

This is completely irrelevant to the point. 'Tools' have nothing to do with onus.

Again, unfortunately perhaps, this is inconsequential to the point.

Yes.. Was there a question?

Which was... answered fully on my last post.

Inconsequential to the point. The fact that you don't believe it does probably hint that there are some problems concerning belief - wherever they arise.

Again... if you say so. Of course, fideism suggest that faith is superior to reason, which wouldn't make it applicable to many atheists - but whatever, it's entirely beyond the point.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord
    Well I guess you can say anything ... but at the end of the day I am sure you appreciate a consensus on the value of what side of the road to drive
    Nonsense

Tools clearly establish ownership and where the onus lies.

If you don't believe me, hand a doctor a plumber's wrench

I'm not sure what sterilized aspect of belief in life you think you can reference outside of issues of value and knowledge.

meh

As your copious posting indicates, even the belief that one can reference a sterilized aspect of life outside of issues of value and knowledge requires value and knowledge!
    Yes you did.

But in an unclear manner.

That's why I am asking you to reiterate it in the context it was asked, namely nanotechnology.
    And my question is whether you think those problems arise in the "process" phase of the claim.
    hehe

"Faith is superior to reason" is, to an atheist, like chocolate cake is to a fat kid.

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: "Religion" is a 'belief system." "Atheism" means "non-belief." Therefore, atheism cannot be a belief system.

14. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

the bible thumpers so want to call it a religion. I guess so they can put ID into their theological pipe and smoke it

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Perhaps you can find an example of a subcategory overriding the parameters of the category it is contextualized by.

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: What???

17. John99 Banned Banned

Hi M*W,

i have to disagree with you there. the reason is that unless something is proven then it is still a belief. that is not to say it is any less valid than other beliefs.

18. John99 Banned Banned

perhaps the word system is where the problem lies. drop the word system because it is extraneous.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, that's the entire point.
    And as for your post before that, there is nothing to be proven in atheism.

20. John99 Banned Banned

that is a little different.

21. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

As this was the only thing even relevant to my post, I will respond - although it should be noted that the previous answer to this was fully sufficient.

Only place I've seen nanobots or such things is on sci-fi programmes. I saw some nanobots on the Outer Limits and of course on Star Trek Voyager. I don't believe such things actually exist in our world right now - but might do in the future when we're on spaceships.

The above statement obviously, if nanobots exist, would be ignorance to the truth of the matter but there is no onus on me to go about proving that they don't... by... umm.. whatever method it is that you might assert that I would go around doing so.

Bizarrely daft statement, but feel free to support it whenever you feel able.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

er .... see john's post

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

except perhaps the validity of its metaphysical claim