Self centred Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by answers, Mar 23, 2009.

1. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

You assumed that I advocate scientific methods. lol!!! Science is another belief system just like religion. People believe that knowing everything in detail will help them understand the world as it is. They failed to see the big picture on the quest for knowledge.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

It is a belief that there is no God. or an absence of belief in a deity or a supreme being.

either way its a belief since there is no proof. But to me its a blunder to say that one don't believe in something which they don't know.

Once some atheist or theist can explain to me what they mean by God, then I can try to comprehend their beliefs.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And how do you 'see' this 'big picture'?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

dig as much as possible. Dont leave anything bcoz of personal reasons. or have half baked ideas or words. Question everything you see, hear, think, feel and keep going.

Honestly, there is nothing to know. But for the sake of it, try to know that there is nothing to know. I can guarantee that one day you will reach there. might take you few years. but its worth the whole journey.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How is this:

different from this?

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by StrangerInAStrangeLa
    For the trillionth time, atheism is NOT a belief system. ”

Atheism is NOT a belief. It is the absence of belief.
    Proof is not required to not believe.
    I don't know whether there are gods thus I don't believe there are gods. That is not a blunder. I don't have evidence of gods thus I don't believe there are gods. That is not a blunder.

10. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

You skipped the second line?

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Perhaps. But then if you don't believe in god, you must have some ideas about where you came from, where humans came from, where animals came from, where the Earth came from, ....... And my guess is that your answers or ideas are in the form of a belief, not a proof.

Baron Max

12. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

hey Adstar post 2 was the best post by you i've read, i enjoyed it. good on ya.

for stranger and observer, dictionary.com says
    atheism:
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

so i'm gonna say atheism is a belief.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Agreed. A theist has read a single book, a holy book riddled with myth and superstition. Imagination would be the one and only tool in their mental arsenal that theists have exercised with a lot of practice.

Abstract thought would not be in their intellectual means for the same reason.

Both have been observed here.

That has not been observed and is merely an assertion based on the one and only intellectual tool the theist possesses; their overactive imaginations.

What has been observed throughout history is the religious zealotry to eliminate those not of the same religious beliefs.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yes well as a Jew, if this is true, i regret it, but this is the problem i have with a lot of religions, and some people whom follow them, they still kill, rape, and genocide in the name of religion. Atleast Jews don't do it anymore for religion. Like jihads and all that other BS.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

It's strikes me as a contradiction to assume that monotheism is about self as it promotes the obeying the wishes and desires of a supreme being. It's true that many Christian religions such as the typical Catholic rewrite the tenants of their religion to fit there life and many admit this.

However, aside from that contradictory behavior monotheism is fundalmentally about giving praise not to yourself but to others and specificly God.

16. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i think its more egotistical or narcissistic than selfish, the world was created for me man, i am the best of god's creatures, the most powerful entity in the universe cares deeply about me and wants me to live in his magical palace, i have an eternal soul.

17. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Theory and execution are two different things. Is a Christian's basic motivation to serve God, or is it to get to heaven? In theory, it is to serve God. It is easy to walk the line on this and fall over on the self-centered make it to heaven. Are they serving God to make it to heaven, or serving God out of duty.

Some classic motivations for following Christianity are fear and emotional deficiency. These type grasp on to serving God and use that as an avenue, but they aren't serving God as much as they are feeding their need.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

answers
    I was explaining how the word "love" is inseparable from issues of "need". The analogy of the mother was just meant to establish an example that we can all readily relate to.
    I assume that you don't have any problems with the (biblical) idea that god loves us.
    You don't think that if we did have the ability to direct a living entity's appearance in this world and also their movement after they died it would radically shape our moral attitudes to killing?
    (Once again, I assume that you don't have theistic problems with accepting the idea of god being able to act in this capacity)
    so from the christian point of view, when someone drowns, is that understood to happen outside or independent of the jurisdiction of god?

If the answer is yes, how do you explain this christian idea (typified by John Calvin ....)

There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.

... indeed

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  19. Saquist Banned Banned

Indeed.

It should be from love, not obligation not of selfishness.

By Sterotype yes.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by StrangerInAStrangeLa
    For the trillionth time, atheism is NOT a belief system.

Atheism is NOT a belief. It is the absence of belief. ”

No perhaps. It's the definition. Simple.

Why must I?

Why are you guessing & what good is it?

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Saying it doesn't make it true. dictionary.com doesn't make it true.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Why would any sane person want to go to heaven?
    Why would any sane person want to serve a cruel slavemaster?

23. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

no shit, but some people who've spent a lot of time determining the meaning of words have put that forward. what do you have supporting ur opinion? why don't u just reword ur argument anyways, bickering about the meaning of atheist is a waste of time, language is malleable.