Sciforums Future !!Read it you Muppet!!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Stryder, Dec 28, 2007.

?

What do you want to see for the Future of Sciforums.com?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2008.
  1. Sciforums should become a true Science site.

25.9%
  2. Sciforums should be a Casual site with just a sprinkling of science.

7.4%
  3. Sciforums should just be what it is now.

66.7%
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I hate poodles.
    More like a Pom:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or maybe:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh
    vert and i have done this to death
    lets try a different tack

lets assume hurt feelings
    what then?
    what are the implications?
    does it affirm? negate?, remain neutral? perhaps inconclusive?

what may i ask you two psychologists, is your goddamn point

/amused

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats what we are asking too

Do you have one?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

None
    It's off topic.

Anyway. "Hurt feelings" isn't really the right term. More like confrontational.

You's riled, boy.
    And spewing venom.

Still off topic though.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

ask a specific question

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

Heres my opinion. Sciforums is a cool site. But it is also a little bit needing a change in at least some ways. Right. It needs to be changed. How it is now is pretty weird. It isn't the best. You have all sorts of things that could either use: 1 some moderation; 2 some change. You take sci-forums and you find that it might not need to be changed. You weigh this idea out. What do you see? You see the same thing continuing, and progressing. What is the future of sciforums? What needs to occur?

Some moderation would be nice. This site is not as healthy so to speak as many of the other forums.. what's the word for those forums- healthy so to speak? If I could be feared of having moderation myself I know that I would weight up my own behavior and attempt to type coherent conversations where others can mesh with each other in more productive ways.

I am excited that this thread has been started because if there is to be a change in sci-forums then that is something that is good/or, just plain news for everybody.

Of course doing this would be simply a weighing of the site.
    Who the hell is up for that anyway.

I would like myself to see some change in moderation, where, at least in my desire the moderators would give you a lot of chances and it would always be 'friendly'--- as it always has been. That is one of the advantages of sci-forums, you are free to express yourself and so on.

I don't know any of you guys have any opinions.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

nah
    gendy used to call me poodle due to my incessant yapping

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Stryder,

I think a better question might be "what is the goal of this site?". Once that is clear then modifications to people, process, and fora can be explored.

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Haha...the Pom looks like one of those fuzzed up car wash mitts you stick your hand in. And the Chinese Crested looks like Selacious Crumb.

13. Tnerb Banned Banned

what is the goal of this site

That is pretty interesting.

I wonder if u can explain how that question works- I can't figure it out

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The very words cause you the most excruciating torment. :bugeye:

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A goal is something that you want... a result (whether it be a one time result or a persistent result). For example, the goal of a school is education. To achieve that goal teachers, media, and students are brought together via process.

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

True. So you would have us consider what the goal of sciforums is. I see that on a level which says "this is how it is, and there is no other way."

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Not this is 'how' it is. It would be this is 'what' it is. I think Plazma should decide that and he may wish to allow other peoples opinions influence his decision.

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

...ok.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Who says the moderators ignore any polls?

Certain controversial threads and polls find their way into being discussed into the ever so secret forum where members dream of torture racks and the howling of the oppressed, of course it's not really like that but people like generating distopian fantasies.

The reason why it's brought up is because I had a of a little unofficial break (well more of an AFK from Sciforums) and checked out a few dozen other forums, admittedly those forums were/are gamer forums however there wasn't the constant bickering and intellectual flatulence that appears here on Sciforums.

For the most part the forums have a select number of sub-forums (Not as many as there are here at Sciforums) and the moderators deal with strict guidelines, Posting helpful forum stickies like certain posts in the main section, keeping their subforums on track of the topic they are dealing with and moving or deleting anything thats out of place from the General Chat area.

Admittedly though the posters are more likely to be playing what ever the game happens to be rather than spamming up the forum with mindless banter.

The choices in the poll weren't described in detail, but heres kind of what the 'hypothetical' future could hold.

If a true Science Forum, then it's likely a condensing of some of the subforums into a General chat forum. Offtopic posts would be purged, offtopic threads moved or purged from the scientific subforums. Perhaps there would be a Academic Documentation/Paper library for people to look through, a course finder that hunts universities/colleges, a Lecture finder that does the same but looks for publically open lectures. For those sorts of things though, there would have to be drastic changes to protocol and obviously this would change the membership.

If it's a Casual Forum, Then we are talking pop-sciences and culture. Casual means people can ask serious questions but rather the forums being so protocol based it's more casual.

Currently the Moderation team *tries* to do what is tasked of them when dealing with people, it's just there are a few people amongst the sciforums membership that have personal grudges and at every chance they get, they attempt to cause shifts in membership opinion by attacking the moderators for this or that injustice.

It makes an ugly forum and it does have it's toll on Moderators psychologically no matter what front they put up to hide it. Trying to get intellectual elitists to be casual is going to be amusing none the least (Scientists haven't been known for giving the best or wildest of parties)

If sciforums is going to be 'Left the way it is', Then in all honesty why the **** do people keep complaining about it or the moderators for that matter? You state you like it the way it is, then live with it, simple!

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

People like complaining.

21. sandy Banned Banned

So who died and made you God? Your humanism is cr@p and will get you nowhere. My life is just fine, thank you. In fact, it's F****** amazing! :yay:

Take a number, bucko.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You know the reminiscent thing about these threads, Imagine a political advertising board many Metres (or feet for that matter) wide and high. It contains a broad message intended for all that can see it, but a bunch of gang groupies break out some spray cans and start tagging it up.

The board gets covered in graffiti within hours, the message lost beneath the sway of 'vandalism'. While you all might have very important messages, none of them are getting across since your 'tags' are just over writing each other and merging together to make one big 'vandalised' mess.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

stryder
    i am a ok guy, ja?

/saddened