sciforums continued

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by spuriousmonkey, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No profanity.
    Statements must be backed up with references.
    All direct questions must be answered.
    Speak clearly.
    Blah blah blah blah.

Basically, they're untenable.

Can't you stop being a troll for even a minute?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :roflmao:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes. Wasn't that how some of this started. Where I asked the moderators what the problem was leading to a new policy because we would like to discuss the matter and avatar kindly informed us that all was taken care of and we need not worry.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You know what the mod forum is like, what do you suppose we could do on our own? No one is getting paid here and only trolls like me are around most of the time.:shrug:

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I see your point and I know your situation. I merely made a different decision. There is no right or wrong here. However, let us all be realistic. trolls like us are the ones that can make a difference under the right circumstances. And currently I do not like the circumstances.

The biology content on sciwiki could have exploded by now if a clear policy had been presented early on, when I repeatedly asked for it. It's not hard for me to write all I know on developmental biology. It's my job to know. And then I know rather a lot on other biological topics. Out of pure interest.

Decisions are made. And we all have to live with the consequences.

And what can you do on your own?

Not much if you are not in charge. Been there, done that. Let's make an analogy with science: How many articles can you get out on your own as a postdoc. None if the groupleader says so, five or more if the groupleader says so and puts you into the "network of production". I'm going to aim for 3 this year, although small ones. My groupleader for instance doesn't like to do small papers (impact factor 4 or less) because they are too much work. So by the grace of my groupleader I am allowed to do small papers.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then, get on your bike and ride. Problem solved.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, the other members will still be harassed by you.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, everything is being taken care of. Please stand by...
    Meanwhile please relax and have a good time. :m:

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yes, please continue to mock and show us how the moderator team takes their job, and the member base seriously.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Seriously though, we are working hard to create something better and for some reason many members now have taken pitchforks and play their little revolution game because they feel left out. Well, it's really worse for your own nervous systems.

But tell me, do you get to go to your parliaments and write notes and corrections in laws as they are being made? And Sciforums isn't even a democracy.
    We will do what we intend to do, and then you'll have all the time in the world to evaluate and judge.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

See sam, there is no need for discussion.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course there is, we read these discussions carefully.
    But you can't entrust an unruly crowd to come up with a reasonable document if your intention is not the recipe for chaos.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ah, avatar sees the community as an unruly crowd, resistant or marked by resistance to control. We have failed to submit to his rule. His majesty

Is this really how you are planning to entice an increased membership of science-minded people and scientists? By making the conform to rule? Submit to discipline? Submit to the random harassment by moderators?

An interesting plan.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not the community as a whole, just particular individuals that have taken up the hobby of revolution. A few dissidents that think themselves to be the nation.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Really, who might those individuals be? this is fascinating news. Is invert nexus still trying to buy sciforums? I thought he was quite happy with the current way things are going. Do tell.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's state secret for you.
    Be seeing you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

let's try to get this thread back on track shall we?

for a long time i couldn't make a post without sam commenting on it.
    i guess one could say i was being harassed and stalked, but i never saw it that way.

hey! i wondered where that post went. now i know!

do you see profanity in prestigious papers?
    but i do agree with you to an extent.
    it's basically a moderator call.
    all statements? i think that should be refined to "challenged statements".
    and this is a problem because?

remember vertie we are talking about the science forums, not free thoughts or site feedback and such.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I see what you mean and I understand what you are trying to do. I think the present circumstances are a reflection of the fact that most people want a different sciforums and have an image in their mind of what they want. Realistically though, no one has ANY idea at all how to go about it. Some people think others should be guided; others think they should be more involved. Ultimately, though, isn't it the responsibility of those who want a certain type of sciforums to actually work towards it?

I fail to understand, very frankly, the mentality of those who claim to want a certain kind of atmosphere, but spend all their time insulting/criticising and thus encouraging the reverse. Discussion is a team effort and it takes very little tact to steer it in a particular direction required; surely its not that difficult to discourage/ignore trolls?

If you want people to contribute sense, you should begin with yourself, don't you think? (PS the you does not mean you. specifically, if you know what I mean).

Taking your analogy a little further, its no point asking your post-doc to aim for an impact factor of 4 if your own work will never reach an impact factor beyond 2, ya?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Only if you believe that one person can really take charge in this forum; on my part, I believe that unless everyone wants the same things, compulsion is more likely to take it the other way.:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.