SciForums Becomes Eclectic

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Gustav, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

parm
    tell me about the missing ending

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

'Tis a sad story:

We were mastering a track for a massive 6 disc boxed-set compilation, featuring something like 40-odd artists--and the tracks were all to be at least 13 minutes in length.

For some reason, we decided to affix these little composed bits to the beginning and the end of this roughly 10 minute live extract from a show in a Copenhagen. Actually, I suppose the "reason" was simply that this live bit was uncommonly brilliant and had to be released. Yeah, I'm pretty certain that was the reason.

Anyways, the composed bits featured vocals derived from Robert Hunter's--yeah, that Robert Hunter; his translation far surpasses even Stephen Mitchell's--translation of Rilke's "Eighth Duino Elegy," but as you can hear, this ending bit is more than a trifle, uh, wordy, I guess. Regardless, they flowed into and out-of the live bit impecabbly.

To boot, the "production values" were kinda shaky.

And to top it all, my friend who was doing the mastering had to remark, "Dude, you sound just like Amon Duul!" That kinda sealed it's fate for exemption.

But I've still not gotten over it. I mean, the verbosity is a bit taxing, but who gives a fuck about "production values"? And so what if we sounded like Amon Duul? Everything sounds like something. Moreoer, Amon Duul once shared a home with members of the RAF! (The Baader-Meinhof group, that is)

The proper released version is all over the internets, but oddly I couldn't find any free ones (except in torrents and crap, and those are simply asking too much of the party who clicks on the link) and I'm not linking to something you have to pay for, especially as I don't seem to be getting paid for it. So I'll upload it in time and you can imagine just how perfectly it would have flown into that ending bit. "The Open." Yeah.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Eh, ne'ermind. It appears that one can in fact play the entire track for free here. Just scroll down to CD 5, second to last track, "The Open."

Not sure what that page is all about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

gee
    if i buy garden of bones from amazon, you will not get any money?
    why do they only have an audio cd? who buys that stuff anyway

i like the music
    spooky and atmospheric

8. Gustav Banned Banned

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Well, for any physical product that's out there, I've already gotten paid either through a label or distributor--with G.o.B. in particular, either back in 2004 or 2006, when it was re-issued (with a bonus track from Switzerland!).

It's the digital crap that's kind of dodgy: if purchased through Amazon or iTunes or some place like that, I'm probably getting paid (whenever someone gets around to it, that is), but there's all these other sites that sell downloads having made NO arrangements with labels/distributors/artists or being in some way affiliated with Amazon, et al.

But I've got stuff on other labels that haven't made arrangements for digital formats, and yet I'll still occasionally find said stuff on Amazon/iTunes/wherever. It's seriously fucked.

Also, besides the random sites that charge for downloads and the periodic fuck-ups by Amazon, et al, the "big" sellers charge crazy prices--a couple of years ago Amazon was selling that album for like 16.98! Whereas proper independents, like Aquarius Records, Other Music, and oodles of others all about the world, were selling the same for like 12 bucks.

Yeah, at least I've gotten paid for that shit though--I've got boxes of cds sitting around that I don't anticipate selling anytime soon. Or ever.

Anymore, only vinyl and--shockingly--cdrs and cassettes can be "moved" in volume. Vinyl is cool, but cdrs and cassettes are kind of a mystery. My working theory is that people are thinking something along these lines: with cds, there's gotta be at least a thousand or two copies floating around out there; but only the seriously wacked are gonna put together more than a few dozen, or a couple hundred at most, cdr or cassette packages--so they're more "special" and "precious" and "exclusive" and shit.

Of course, an hour or two later someone's gonna go home and upload this "exclusive" cdr to their music blog for the whole world to gush over.

And the crappier the cover art, the faster they move! A few years back, "we" (now I'm mostly just "I") put together 80-odd cdrs for this big festival, and we sold out like two hours after we played. I had fashioned very crude sleeves and a simple b/w photocopied cover in the style of the legendary TAKRL--The Amazing Kornyfone Record Label--bootleg releases.

Thank you.

I have derailed this thread with so much text. I guess it can be regarded as the obligatory P.S.A. portion of the program. I don't know what the message is though, probably something like this:

Don't pay for downloaded music! It's bad.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Ah, since that was a rather controversial injunction above, I suppose I oughtta provide a sound, reasoned argument for such. Well, here goes:

For the most part, by and large, mostly only "decent" people listen to and enjoy my music. Consequently, if persons download it for free and like it, they will--provided that they can afford to--most likely buy something from me in the not-so-distant future. If they cannot afford to buy something, well then they shouldn't have to pay for it anyways. Simple.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

yeah
    bandcamp allows one to pay as much as one wants for stuff. since i had pirated most of this band's discog, i made amends by paying $50 for one of their albums

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"On name-your-price albums, fans pay an average of 50% more than the minimum." (bandcamp)

i love anna-lyne...

/swoon

i'll give them more money soon because they give me shit that is really priceless

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. Gustav Banned Banned

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  13. Gustav Banned Banned

14. Gustav Banned Banned

15. Gustav Banned Banned

16. Gustav Banned Banned

Paul Giovanni
    WILLOW'S SONG

Heigh ho! Who is there?
    No one but me, my dear.
    Please come say, How do?
    The things I'll give to you.
    By stroke as gentle as a feather
    I'll catch a rainbow from the sky
    And tie the ends together.
    Heigh ho! I am here
    Am I not young and fair?
    Please come say, How do?