Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jan Ardena, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I never said the scripture or religions do not have any positive aspects.
    My objection is to the perceived need by some theists for personal religious persecution or fatwahs or religious wars. Do you not agree with that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NT News newspaper 25 June 2018

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Sure.
    There is no need for a sojourn into atheism to locate a legitimate critique of such things.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes there is, if you are dealing with a religion where violent acts in the name of God are kinda "negotiable".

One of the problems with exclusive religions is that the adherents do not recognize the legitimacy of other religions and conveniently distance themselves from each other by proclaiming they are not the bad religion, it is the other guy.

To an atheist all theistic religions are similar and their apparent flaws are included in the greater picture of religious prejudice and persecution.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Do you agree with Jan?

<>

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Do you agree with Musika?

<>

10. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Given that we live in a world where violent acts are already "kinda negotiable", it seems you are just posturing to default religion to impotency. IOW in your books, its not about providing a legitimate critique, but about establishing a dominant ideology. Your so-called "Humanism" is window dressing.

Yes.
    "You guys are all wrong and I am/we are right" is just the sort of refreshing perspective people need to hear in order to take a new direction amongst all the fanatical ideological posturing.

You can actually launch legitimate criticisms from the position of atheism, but if this is not even remotely close.

11. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Lol
    More than you can imagine.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Your arrogant assumptions should not be taken for knowledge.

What do you agree on?

<>

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, a Humanist ideology of "Thou shalt not kill", period. No pomp or circumstance, no sacrifices, just a simple "don't kill your fellow humans". It is not like it isn't practiced in nature. Ater all, many animals of the same species refrain from killing each other. Why should we act at a lower moral level than that?

14. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Off the top of my head, the nature of God, the nature of the living entity, the nature of this phenomenal world and the natute of the relationship between these 3 things.
    I'm pretty sure he knows his way around a laddhu.

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    The nature of those things does not say anything without saying what those natures are.

What worlds do you compare this 1 to?

<>

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Rather than offering critique, which is immediately refuted exactly from the position of a higher authority you have been taking, such a fundamental tenet could apply to all races, creeds, and religions.

It is the most generous position for a fair and just respect for human life regardless of religious or non-religious beliefs or affiliations. It places human life above all other considerations and belief sytems.

Humanism....., don't you like the sound of that?

17. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Its more the clause of "oh, and btw, you are all as equally unqualified as one another and bereft of any capacity to discriminate so the only ones worthy of yout equal and undivifed attention is us" ... that spoils the scene, or rather reveals that you are simply employing the same mofus operandi under a different name. IOW you are not seeing relative merit, only political identifications. As such, your intelligence can only bring further problems to an already problematic situation.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Nonsense.
    Humanism is about humans and by extension all hominids, not about higher authorities than humans, which can lead to delusional obsessions about being "intimate" with, and "knowing" the "Will of God" and what have you.

19. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

The fact that I have pulled an understanding of those natures from his posts and you haven't probably indicates that you don't know your way around a laddhu.

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You seem to be confusing religion and theism again. That is particularly relevant in some of the examples you list of Asian and African slaughters, where atheistic religions are common and large shares of the persecuted - making more obvious the lack of relevance of personal theistic belief in this slaughter business, unless a theistic religion is doing the killing.

Remembers the old joke, about the American visiting Ireland during the troubles:
    "So are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"
    "I'm an atheist."
    "But are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

Do you sign on to his bearing false witness, as in the OP and several of his replies here?

21. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

I understand what he saying and I can also understand why you can't understand what he is saying .... that said, I'm not sure I could attempt to explain it any better than what he is doing now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  22. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

I am not having any issue with that. I am having an issue with your drawing up of political affiliations before you bring assessments of merit (which is the standard approach of any intolerant fanatic group ... atheist, theist or otherwise).

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Depends on what you're looking for.

Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.