scientist wonder why the universes growing is speeding up...

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Oliver, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Oliver Registered Member

scientist have now discovered that the univers was not only expanding, but it was also accelerating that expantion...
    well, it could all be explained by the fact that the univers is spinning, and rotating around itself.... it might be strange, but it would explain this ever faster expantion of the univers caused by the centrifuge force...
    if anybody wants to comment, please do....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Dark-energie

yeah i've read something like that....

Another idea that occured the editor of the story I read was about dark energie.

After slowing down the expansion of the universe, now the expansion is accelarating because of dark energie.

Dark energie finally won the battle with the gravity, and this energie is pusing the universe to grow.

Maybe someone knows more about this mysterious force??
    (sorry : bad english)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Dark energy

Dark energy is still very much a theory; it's only come to (ahem) light in the last year. Basically, it's a property of space rather than something that's in space, and its repulsive properties work against gravity.

NASA's science up date (which I recommend everyone signs up for) had a piece on this a while ago; check out http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast03apr_1.htm

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Speeding up

Go to "Names for the Dark" thread in this catagory. There is an illustration of the point at which the universe started speeding up.

8. apolo Registered Senior Member

From apolo 14 June 01
    Reply to oliver. It is possible that the universe is not expanding at all. The reason most scientists say the universe is expanding is; that they interpret the red shift as an indication of both linear distance and a dobbler effect. Edvin Huble
    who discovered the redshift wrote in all his books and papers (exept one paper in 1929) that he considered the red shift to indicate a linear
    and "apparent" dobbler effect. Note the word apparent, he did not believe there was a dobbler effect, he thought there was something else involved that he could'nt explain.
    But most scientists grabed the 1929 paper (the only one where he did not use the word "apparent") and have run with it ever since.
    So if we dont put dobbler effect in to the equations of what we see. There is no expansion.
    Regards apolo.

9. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

In fact you're saying right now that our whole view of the universe isn't right....

if the dobler effect and red-shifting isn't right, we can restart our whole search through universe.

Don't think our lovely friend stephen hawking will like that...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Caleb Redeemed Registered Senior Member

I rather suspect that there are alot of things like that. Little details that are assumed to be true (when there might be one or more other ways of dealing with it), and then the entire framework built up around them and all the facts interpreted as if it were true, when, in fact, there are actually multiple explanations. That is why I place very little faith in Cosmology.

11. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Why the universe is accelerating

The universe is certianly expanding, accelerating and won't stop. In a Novermber 1999 Popular Science interview with Steven Hawking, the renound physicsist said "...there is not enough known matter in the universe to keep it from expanding forever." There isn't enough matter, visibile or invisible (dark) to keep the universe from expanding.
    Before Edwin Hubble found the red-shift and that the universe was expanding Einstein had a theory on a static universe. In this universe he theorized that there maybe a form of "anti-gravity". Though the universe isn't static, this anti-gravity could explain why its flying apart. I think this phoneomenon is caused by huge amounts of Electromagnetic radation, mostly from stars. Stars spue lots of EM into space, I think on a fairly limited scale the EM radation may cause large amounts of matter to give off anti-gravity as well. Lots of stars, galaxies w/stars pushing against eachother?
    The Pinoneer spacecraft launched in the '70s are being tracked by NASA. A year ago or so, they found that the things had moved quicker than expected. Their engines hadn't fired in decades and weren't near any planets or comets that could have dragged them. Sounds odd, just my theory.

"Treat others as you would want to be treated," -- Jesus

12. WLD_Bill Registered Member

Universal Expansion

You are correct in the acceleration of the universe. All of your answers are here on earth. LOOK! The universe is typical of our atmospheric weather system. The Universe is a sphere, what goes up will eventually come down (big crunch I guess you call it).

Regards:
    Bill

13. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Tisk, tisk

The notion of up or down, is relitive to where you are. In space there really isn't an up or down. Quite simply there isn't enough matter in the universe to pull it all back together and make a big crunch. The universe will expand, indefinatly, forever.

14. WLD_Bill Registered Member

maybe it happen before? Would it not circulate? go to say the poles maybe and come back inward? If the universe is accelerating from a linear focal point never to return seems highly improbable. I don't care for all this "double click" or "flyswat " spyware on this Site either. It's rude.

15. Crash84 Registered Member

There is a downside of the universe keeps expanding. All of the other star systems would continue to move farther apart from us, which would make it even harder, and take even longer to explore the universe. This is very discouraging, but I guess it's better that the universe is expanding, rather than retracting....who knows what would happen if it retracted. Would we be sucked into a spacial anamoly? Crushed by the force of the retracting universe? It's definately something to think about...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!