Scientific Racism

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Atom, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There could be many reasons for that; the most important being a dietary source of vitamin D; if there was sufficient vitamin D intake from marine sources for instance, there would not be sufficient selection pressure for light skin.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So?

Eskimos didn't get white either. Neither did the Tierra del Fuegians. There are lots of examples of evolutionary opportunity not taken advantage of - even to the point of extinction.

There never were many Tasmanians. They did not invent new tools or competencies, either - their cultural evolution apparently as slowed as their physical, in comparison with west-central Eurasians living in one of the crossroads of human migration.

But Caucasians did evolve translucent, thinly melanized skin. Just a bit of good fortune, for them - seems to have allowed a denser population further from the sea, in an unoccupied niche.

And Central Africans evolved sickle cell malaria resistance, Kenyans adapted to long running at higher altitude, the Andaman Islanders adapted to one of the strongest sunlight regimes on the planet, the northern Indians developed the ability to digest milk as adults, and so forth. None of these adaptations took very long - a few dozen generations of pressure on a small founding tribe with a lot of genetic variety from nearby large populations.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

How many white South Africans or Australians who can trace their roots back 400 years have become black?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DeepThought Banned Banned

S.A.M,

In Europe, it is estimated that in the year 2000 there were 35 000 cases of melanoma (skin cancer) diagnosed and 9000 deaths caused by melanoma.

There is not one recorded case of black Europeans dying from or even suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

"Historically, rickets (primarily caused by vitamin D deficiency) plagued the populations of European countries in the northern latitudes—at one time it was called "the English disease."

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Pre-Sma/Rickets.html

The statistics are self-evident... selection pressure in Europe is towards black skin, not the other way.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  8. DeepThought Banned Banned

Iceaura,

White skin is NOT a bit of good fortune. This is thorough racism which suggests that having white skin is some kind of advantage when it clearly is not.

Vitamin D deficiency - it's just the same old scientific cover story attempting to justify white supremacy.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I see you have invented a new way of doing science. It's very interesting if you are fond of surreal things such as clowns in a circus.

The prevalence of melanomas says nothing about selection pressure. You can make plenty of babies before you perish from a melanoma. Especially since in this case you mention the stats of the year 2000.

It is not a secret the the incidence of melanomas has gone up due to cultural influences, i.e. sunbathing. They have nothing to do with selective pressures in the past.

In fact one reason to sunbath is to improve your fitness; that is to increase the chance to find a suitable partner and make babies.

Melanomas could very well point out a selective advantage in our modern society. Those with melanomas could very well have been fitter.

And since nobody researched the matter it is pointless to speculate on this matter other then for entertainment reasons. There is no proof either way.

Your constant jumping from one extreme straw to another reminds me of the behaviourial pattern of Trollus racismus.

10. DeepThought Banned Banned

Monkey,

Why don't you show us some more mammoth hair? LOL.

The sun kills large numbers of white people every year and you are trying to tell us that this doesn't exert any selection pressure according to your corrupt model called 'evolution'? LOL.

Cultural influences are bullsh*t. We're talking science here so if you want your posts to be taken seriously you'd better start bringing some.

My reasoning is concrete and backed by solid data.

You are desperately trying to justify white supremacy with as many twisty little arguments as you can muster.

I don't expect you to get any infractions for saying this because even the moderators don't understand what racism is.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

As long as they understand what a troll is. reported troll.

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

Monkey,

I have completely destroyed your position so you run to the moderators like a little baby.

LOL.

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Wow. I had thought only creationists exhibited such non-comprehension of evolution, but I would appear to be wrong.

To explain further, assuming you want to know more, evolution operates by number of offspring. If you have 8 children who all survive to adulthood and brered, you win more than the person who has 1 child which survives to adulthood. THis is absolutely basic stuff, which you should have learnt in school.

How does this fit in with your diseased misunderstanding of the science? Well, it seems that most cases of melanoma and other cancers start in middle age. I.e. after you have already brought up your 8 children. Thus, it doesn't matter that you die horribly, since you have left 8 children behind.

Is this simple enough for you?

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATORS' COMMUNITY * * * *

Would you guys all stop slinging insults and at least pretend to conduct a scientific discussion? This thread has generated enough warnings and infractions, do we have to start banning people?

We are rebuilding this website in its original image of a meeting place for scientists, future scientists and people who want to learn or discuss science. Many children come here for help with their homework or just to hang out with people who have something on their minds besides rap stars and videogames. Is this how you want to present yourselves to them? More importantly to us... is this how you want to present SCIENCE to them?

Please observe the scientific method. If someone makes an assertion you disagree with, ask him to provide substantiation. If he doesn't do that, or if you find the substantiation unconvincing, the next step must be chosen carefully but it does NOT involve using words like "diseased" and "corrupt" which are guaranteed to hijack the thread and turn it into a flame war. If all else fails and there's not a Moderator handy, send a PM to one of us. But bear in mind that children really speak the truth when they insist that every fight begins with the second person HITTING BACK.

A note regarding racism: It is specifically prohibited by SciForums policy. You can call that political correctness, you can call it despotism, you can call it bad science, and if you word it carefully you might even get away with saying that out loud... over in Free Thoughts or Philosophy, but not on the boards that are specifically reserved for science. But in any case, we want parents to permit their children to visit this website freely, and one of the things that will get our plug pulled pretty fast is to become a haven for racists.

This is not my subforum and I can't read the minds of the Moderators who decided to allow this discussion to proceed, but I'm sure like all of us they are loath to curtail free speech and were just hoping the discourse would remain civilized. We all realize that even some of the most despicable philosophies might have a few kernels of truth at their core. Searching for that truth and separating it from the hatred is a noble endeavor.

Please try to keep this discussion on the noble side of that line, and start by treating each other HONORABLY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.