Scientific Mysticism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 30, 2002.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Jan

What is electrolysis?

If an electrical current is passed through water between electrodes (the positive and minus poles of a battery), the water is split into its two parts: oxygen and hydrogen.

This process ‘produces’ water, it doesn’t ‘create water,’ as I said, water is already there., so that point proves nothing.

Wrong again. Did you not read the post or just not understand it? Water is NOT already there. It is produced or created, which means the same thing. Water is created by this method using hydrogen and oxygen. Deny it if you will, but it makes your credibility look very thin indeed.

Therefore it is possible to create water using hydrogen and oxygen and it is possible to break water down into hydrogen and oxygen. Is that clear?

Good point!!
    How can you ‘create’ water in the desert.

If I did not have the resources of a fuel cell that created or produced water, then the next best thing is a simple survival technique.

All that's required is a sheet of plastic, a small rock or something else with a little weight, and a container. One simply digs a wide hole in the sand, places the container in the bottom/middle of the hole, places the sheet of plastic over the hole and covers up the edges of the plastic with sand so that nothing escapes from inside the hole. Place the small rock or object in the middle of the sheet of plastic over the container. In a few hours, condensation begins to appear on the inside of the sheet of plastic from the heat of the sun. The condensation trickles towards the middle of the plastic (due to the weight of the small rock) and drips into the container. Water is created, and most importantly, one is able to survive in the desert.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So you see, with a little knowledge of science, I could survive in the desert. With a little prayer, you would not.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Jan

Yes, what your saying is very clear, I just don’t believe it is possible.

Interesting. You don't believe in something that is a fact, that works in fuel cells, that works in electrolytic plating, that is used in the manufacturing products every day, and yet you believe in a mythical, all powerful being.

I retract my earlier compliment regarding your dissimilarity to Truthseeker.

You have an amazing talent for alienation. There is obviously no grounds for further discussion.

btw - don't go near the desert.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Therefore it is possible to create water using hydrogen and oxygen and it is possible to break water down into hydrogen and oxygen. Is that clear?

Yes, what your saying is very clear, I just don’t believe it is possible."

Jan is actually beyond nelson now. See, nelson at least acknowledged some very basic science as fact. Jan has decided she's above all the science we know.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/education/projects/projects-html/split_h2o.html

It's a grade 7 science experiment.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"create bring into existence; cause – make or cause

Also when anything is produced or created, there has to be a producer or a creator."

There is a creator, whoever puts the hyrdrogen and oxygen together. Nature does this for us most of the time.

There is no way we know of to create elements, though. The difference between you and I (and Q, Xev, and all atheists)....? You see a question that can't be answered scientifically and say it must be God. We see that same question and say; I don't know yet, but maybe we can find out. Excellent example on how arrogant theists are, believing they know all the answers.

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

[/I]

Quote from site,

“Water is a simple chemical made from two gases -- hydrogen and oxygen. Every molecule of water has two atoms of hydrogen for every atom of oxygen. H2O is the chemical formula for a molecule of water.”

So, because I think water is an element, I think I am above science.

If water is just a simple chemical, then why do we have drought problems, why don’t we make water??

There is no way we know of to create elements, though.

Right! Including water.

Love

Jan Ardena.

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"So, because I think water is an element, I think I am above science.

If water is just a simple chemical, then why do we have drought problems, why don’t we make water??"

That's an incredibly expensive idea you're talking about. Perhaps you are exactly like Nelson in that you don't read someone's full post...The Q gave you a site that shows how water is produced (http://www.autoalliance.org/fuel_cells.htm ). Perhaps you need a little more brushing up on grade 7 science...

http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/textbook/atom.html

If water, earth, air... are the elements. Than how come we can't just create humans? Or how come we can't just create gold? By the logic of your question, it should be amazingly simple to just make perfect gold, right?

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

First, thanks Jan. I haven't had this much fun with your posts since you accused me of wishing to kill God.

(Or at least put a bloody Bible head on His pillow

)

Umm, Jan, water is a compound, not an element.

I, er, learned this in fourth grade......

We do, and we 'seed clouds'. However, the process is most inefficient and expensive.

I have made water as the byproduct of a chemical reaction.

Actually, there kinda is. We can transmute elements...

Which isn't a element at all.

I don't know whether you're after the Q or Tyler but you keep your crystel-swinging, Bhagavad Gita - thumping hands off both!

Sushi

Xev

P.S: Feel free to Adam, but don't you dare break his heart!

Last edited: May 6, 2002
  12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

It's okay Jan, you can swing your crystals at me any time. You are female, right?

Yes, I'm just being silly.

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Ah, Xev ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If water is just a simple chemical, then why do we have drought
    problems, why don’t we make water??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We do, and we 'seed clouds'. However, the process is most inefficient and expensive."

Bravo! Your reply is as ridiculous as her question.

Keep it up and you two can become the equivalent of a Banshee/Bebelina science team.

Take care, and thanks for the chuckle

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Chagur:

As Premeir Kissoff would say"

"My source was the New York Times"

I do not claim to be an expert on atmospheric science. Perchance you do?

Tell me Chag, have you ever made one serious contribution to any of our scientific discussions? I mention H2O2 on mars, you make flippant remarks about blondes. I present a point, you respond with a rather limp (and I am sure you are familiar with 'limp') ad hominem attack.

So Chag, do you have somthing to add to the discussion? No? Then go back to fantasizing about Brittany Spears, for god knows that's the closest thing you'll get to actual sex for a long, long time.

P.S: You might even wish to read a book or two at some point - might have somthing intelligent to say.

15. Tyler Registered Senior Member

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Thanks Tyler! They're interesting.

See, our Chaggie just has 'woman issues'. He's getting old and to 'that age', if you know what I mean.

Consequently, he's rather frustrated in a certain way...and...

*Whispers conspiritorially*

I think women, especially me, make him feel threatened.

17. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Tyler ...

Both URLs have to do with cloud seeding ... an attempt to induce
    precipitation, not 'create water'.

I suggest that before you try to emulate Sir Galahad, you find a
    fair maiden worthy of the effort

Take care

18. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Ouch!

*Adam gets some popcorn and sits back to enjoy the show...*

19. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Dear, dear Zev ...

"I doubt that any female astronauts will be touching up their roots
    during a Mars mission."

"I mention H2O2 on mars, you make flippant remarks about blondes."

I have a suggestiion for you: Learn to read ... and comprehend.

Take care

20. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Chagur, you are SOOOO asking for a slappin'. Hey, sounds like fun. I might join in too...

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Truthseeker,

Going back to the very first post of this thread...

I'd like to see the exact quotes in which the author asks us to believe the set of things you say he asks us to believe. Can you please provide some quotes from the book.

I <i>suspect</i> you are misinterpreting it, but I can't be sure since I haven't read it myself.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Did I say they were about creating water? Please quote me.

Learn to think before you write.

23. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Tyler ...

My abject apology.

I made the mistake of thinking you were attempting to contribute
    something to the discussion.

I now understand that you were .... Hm, what is that expression?

Oh yes ... 'Sucking up.'

Take care