science vs religion...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mario, Sep 5, 2004.

1. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

then I would be brain dead, Yorda, wait a minute I already am. lol

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

Why? Does that silence deafen you? Or do you feel the freezing fire? Science is only separated to relligion by abnormal morons.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

because scientists are those in the know, and religionist are those who believe they know, a huge difference.
    I'm all ears, but cant hear it.
    no dont like the cold or the hot, I'm an inbetween kind of guy.
    and thats rich coming from a theist, science was only tolerated by religion, as they believed it could prove there faith, when they found it could'nt it was, kept in the background, and only allowed to show it's face if could produce something positive to religion, which was impossible. the dark ages ring any bells etc....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

geeser,

firstly. are you arguing simply that my example was bad or do you take issue with me saying that the imagination can be used to confirm a truth?

secondly, when you say;
    do you realize that it is not me you are speaking about? you are expressing your perception of your expereince of your mind utilizing both your memory and your imagination. your interpretation of my expereince was simply your interpretation it had nothing to do with me/my/mine.

is colour imagined?

picking up a ten pound note is an expereince that did not take place at all the whole picking up the tenner expereince was created, this expereince can also be embellished with emotional reaction and mental considerations all of which are self created n.b. imagined.

yes, i can. can't you? memories can be recalled with any quality. can't they? pick up stuff that is not there change the colour of your embaressment, etcetera.

yes, indeed, i was not saying that i created a mental landscape that had no basis in reality. i was saying that i could use my imagination to confirm what is true.

well thats not true either really, but i do know what you are trying to say. if the truth that we are confirming has not been expereinced at some level of consciousness then the imagination can not aid memory in accessing that truth. this is what you are trying to say, isnt it?

8. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

no just that you have it back to front, your imagination cant confirm truth, but your memory can. example: fred wants to know what station to get off, you can recall all the stations, and the one with elephants on the platform is the station, he should get off , it 's your memory that recalls the station the fact that your imagination has added elephant is irrelevant, you memory confirms the stop to get off.
    of course, I can not possible get in side your head, whats your point.
    no color is experienced, hence why you can recall the colours, for instance the murderers eyes were blue, said mr smith to the officer, later they had arrested the murderer, the murderers eyes are brown, I could have sworn they were blue, said mr smith.
    you must have been the recipient of a vastly exaggerated true story, [baron munchuzen) we all do it, to enrich it to make more palatable to the listener, we all add things, to our memorys.
    nearly, if the truth that we are trying to confirm has not been experienced at some level of consciousness, then the memory can not aid that truth, thus making the imagine poorer, for lack of experienced memory.
    every time we open our eyes, ears, smell, taste, touch we gain an experienced memory, and our imagination can play-with, manipulate, concocted, create, images, fantasy, and possibly sounds that no one has ever seen, heard or been before.
    but it's only our experienced memory that can confirm a truth.
    memory has been touched by reality, imagination has not.

9. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

geeser,
    in which sense do you use the word imagintaion? is it in the sense of creating fantasy only, or in (what i feel) is its true sense of viewing images in the mind?

suppose i have a journey which involves me travelling to a number of different destinations, i dont want to waste time travelling, and need to figure the quickest route, i dint have a map bur i know where all the addresses are. so i create my own map in my imagination containing all the addresses laid out like an actual map, a cognitive map. this imaginary map is used to organise and schedule my journey. the information i am using is from memory but my imagination is laying it out in a fashion that i have never expereinced before. these cognitive maps are used constantly, i would even be so bold as to say you were forming one amoment ago to accomadate my map.

Imagination
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.