Science Fiction Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sci Reviews' started by Apoloto, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Neverfly Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Uh, John Ringo has a really good trilogy if you're into aliens and sci-fi warfare: Live Free Or Die, Citadel, and The Hot Gate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Hey. Sorry. I'm just quoting my own post again because I can't edit it anymore. It seems the copyright holders pulled the photo of Simon Wells that I had here so you could compare him to his great grandfather. No matter. If you look at this link, you can see what I mean:
    http://www.superiorpics.com/simon_wells/
    Um...now the image is back again. I don't get it..

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I just read that. It was entertaining. I wonder how feasible "ballooning" an asteroid really is?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I strongly suggest The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. I would love for them to be made into movies, but it wouldn't do them justice

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

11. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

You can't be serious? I had a look at the PDF and it's absolute drivel. All I saw was the usual 'I was kidnapped by aliens' nonsense and drivel, drivel and more drivel. Also I think you're off the topic. The writer seems to believe his account is not fiction. This thread asks for science fiction recommendations Yes, good science fiction ought to be though provoking, and makes no pretension of being real even when it purports to predict. Let's stick with the topic please..

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

You probably didnt read more than the intro...the rest is over 90 pages.

Theres another compilation of his narratives over 500 pages.

If Baldin is making it up he's definitely the most imaginative sci-fi writer of all time.

13. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

I scanned it from beginning to end. I couldn't read very far into any section because it was such hackneyed drivel, and obviously written by an uneducated person. He's not imaginative at all, just regurgitative.

14. Neverfly Banned Banned

Oh, I don't know... I thought it was a toss up between Ron L. Hubbard and George Lucas.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One created iconic and very profitable movie making ventures but failed at religion. The other created an asinine and very profitable religion but failed at movie making.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

"Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson is an excellent work of science fiction. He tends to live on the "hard" side of the genre, which I know is important for a lot of readers. It's actually the first in the trilogy, but the books get less interesting as they go. I'm reading "Vortex," which is the final book, and it's a real slog. But Spin is absolutely tremendous.

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Does "Spin", as a stand-alone story, have a decent enough payoff - or do you need to work your way through the trilogy to actually get to a satisfactory conclusion, even if the journey is a slog?

17. Balerion Banned Banned

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I should have looked earlier. Because the human conflicts are all resolved by the end, Spin works perfectly well as a standalone novel. In fact, (mild spoiler ahead) you only encounter one character from Spin in the sequel, and only two from the sequel appear in the third. The series is really only connected by the central issue facing humanity.

It really is a tremendous book. Even if you don't plan on reading the rest, read that one. It has that sensawunda all great sci-fi stories need, and the kind of human drama you just don't find in genre fiction.

18. ScribJellyDonut Registered Senior Member

I finished reading "A Fire Upon the Deep." I would recommend it and I just wanted herbbread to know he had an inadvertent influence on my dog's name (Scriber Jaqueramaphan, a 7 month old border collie). Anyway, I also read "The Grand Design" which isn't science fiction but was interesting nonetheless.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

Just finished "Vortex," and the second half of the book is much better than the first-half. The ending is particularly strong, leaving me to wonder where the hell his narrative voice was for the first 170 pages. I think maybe I'll give a try to "A Fire Upon the Deep" as ScribJellyDonut suggests above. Any other ideas?

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The Shape of Water - it's just perfect. Sci fi + love story, but a really special love story, of selflessness and sacrifice.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Anathem, by Neal Stephenson.

The scientists live in monasteries, religious people live outside.

Highly recommended!

Curious layman likes this.
  22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Frequencies. A very interesting movie with some serious implications.

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Interesting follow up on the Hellstrom Chronicle, which is not a science fiction but a science prophecy.