RStar Wars v.s The CGU

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Hapsburg, Apr 16, 2005.

?

Who wins?

1. Central Galactic Union (milky way & rim territory)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. First Galactic Empire (SW galaxy)

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Rebels, Pirates, and Militias

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

...Hapsburg, whenever you attempt arguing with me, you eventually get proved wrong.

INCORRECT. A nomadic force, with no worries about dealing with pollution and such, and breaking planets up for resources, can maintain a larger, tighter, better-defended *AND STEALTHIER* empire than any planet-based civilization because by the time you know we've been somewhere, we aren't there anymore.

And no, the CGU cannot defend against it. It's called "jump out right next to the place at 99% c and watch the planet, shield and all, go bye-bye."

Now... since you want a CGU versus... *evil grin*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

An asteroid cannot penetrate a planetary shield. The shield will vaporize it instantly. Also, if it is moving at such a high speed, it cannot do anymore damage than if it were moving at a low speed, because the friction will break it up faster. It all balances out. Though you gain advantage from it moving too fast to target (possibly, though droid controlled defense batteries fire at astounding rates) one would not destroy a planet. In fact, with the shielding like on Corellia, it would do no damage.

Also, I wasn't talking about DEMP guns. They are strictly anti-droid'anti-computer systems. I'm talking about superheavy shoulder-mounted anti-vehicle ion cannons, kind of like a blue energy bazooka. The droids are screwed against that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

WRONG.

Conservation of energy means that if the asteroid hits the planetary shield, the entire kinetic energy of the impact will become converted into another form. Something like... a rather massive explosion. And don't forget conservation of momentum.

The *LIGHT* emananting from the impact of a 2 million ton asteroid at 99.99% c is going to be enough to instantly flash-fry all of your citizens, let alone the impact momentum transfer and the other problems from the impact.

End result is the impact could quite literally pitch the planet right into the sun if aimed at the right angle.

The impact is roughly 1E28 joules. This isn't that far off from a Death Star impact, and utter overkill on a planetary shield. Plus a superlaser doesn't have the other issues like the momentum of the impact pitching the surviving remnants into the sun.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Who is to say the shield won't simply absorb the kinetic energy, making the energy shield strong, and just bounce the asteroid back at you?

This is beyond the point.
    This thread is a SW GE v.s CGU. Not CGU v.s Mj12's asteroidwankverse.
    Stop getting of track, cockface.

8. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

Oh, poor Hapsie is upset. And 'cockface'? Having a cock means the ability to sexually reproduce, which you're about a billion years away from evolving.

...and besides, Hapsburg, the average force required to do the bouncing an asteroid back at you thing unless your planetary shield extends light-months or so is going to be enough to pretty much do the same thing. Cause a massive explosion that makes the Death Star look like a wet fart. And make the planet go BOOM.

...and as I said. This is like one of those little retard fights. Both use stupid tactics, both have similar weapons, and both, well, are rather evenly matched.

However, the CGU seems to be a bit more retarded on the space front, so they'll lose marginally. On the ground front, they're a bit less retarded, but in a war of annihilation, ground combat is meaningless.

9. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

So, what you are saying is that the technology used by members of the SW universe for millenia is useless? Because I seem to have a problem with that. Actually, several.

If you are hypering the asteroids in, which I believe you are, there are exactly three problems which I am aware of instantly.

1) A hyperdrive cuts off when it reaches something of significant gravitational mass. This means that the hyperdrive quits a long time before it reaches the planet. It is on this principle that 2 works.

2) A pair of interdictor cruisers (1 at each pole) or a field of Mass Pulse mines would put a stop to the asteroids as well, at an even greater distance than the planet's own mass shadow.

3) When a hyperdrive ceases, whatever it is powering slows down to normal sublight speeds. This is because the hyperdrive is used to attain entrance into a subdimension where the mass of the real universe combines with a lack of relativity, creating a place where ships and other objects can travel at FTL speeds without attaining time travel. The asteroid would hit at a sublight speed, merely being deflected by the planetary shielding.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Then stop yer bitchin', and start debatin'. The thread title is "star wars v.s CGU" not "bitch about the logic behind science fiction".

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually i think he meant you have the face of a cock, aka rooster. Though I think it is an insult to compare you to such a noble animal. LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!