ROVs and buoyancy

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by domesticated om, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Would anyone happen to know how buoyancy is designed into ROVs? I don't necessarily mean the specific flotation devices -- I just mean the general principle(s) applied when designing it so it can maintain static positioning and stability underwater.

If I built my own ROV (for example), I would want it to be able to "hover" in specific positions in the without rising, sinking or drifting.

What sort of design elements make ROVs capable of doing this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

PS - actually, could you also recommend any flotation or buoyancy devices while you're at it LOL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I understand they a kind of foam made from epoxy filled with glass microballoons for flotation. The microballoons will not break or fill with water. That's all I know about it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

You would most likely need a cylinder of compressed gas, and bouyancy tanks you can flood or drain (rather like a submarine). It may be worth noting bouyancy will vary with depth, temperature and salinity. Currents will also pose a problem. You should aim to construct it as slightly bouyant, then use ballast to keep it in trim.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

my best guess would be a tank that can be flooded with water.
    a bottle of pressurized air would force the water out.
    by carefull adjustment a neural buoyancy can be had.

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Most ROVs have a foam filled float - (although some simpler models just use a balsa float) - they then add weight depending on the salinity and depth they are plannign to use it at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.