Ron Paul and the rise of libertarian politics in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fraggle Rocker, Nov 25, 2007.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

lol classic end result for "individualism". If you want individual liberty(more of it anyway), you must convince the masses or those in power that they will get even more ahead from it. It's always a conspiracy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I agree. Was it that so many libertarians were running, or some many members of the Libertarian party were running? If it's the latter, that's one of the stupidest mistakes the party could've made.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

For city council at large there were like three Republicans, three Democrats, and three Libertarians running. If there'd been just one Libertarian, he might have actually won a seat. My wife and I, for instance, both voted for a Libertarian in place of that one jerk Republican, but voted for different ones.

As it was, the Libertarians mainly served to help the Democrats by siphoning away some votes from the Republicans. This resulted in a largely Republican town having a city council much more closely divided than should have been the case (Republican controlled, but just by one vote).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sandy Banned Banned

Paul is an interesting guy but he will not even get close to the nom. I think it will be Romney.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I hope it's Romney too, it seems like he would be a gracious loser.

9. sandy Banned Banned

He would beat the cr@p out of Hillary.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

She will continue to show her true colors and self-destruct by the time the election rolls around. Mark my words. You'll see.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Recorded for future "I told you so" reference.

11. sandy Banned Banned

LOL! And you are supporting Hillary? If so, this is going to be a FUN pre-election topic.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you do know that with say obama on the same ticket the dems would win. Obama polls very well with republicans. Rommney has no real good choices for vip from the other candidates.

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Obama polls well with Republicans? Really? Source?

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

it was a late night news show bout a month ago give me some time so i can dig it up. note it was good for a democrat not good overall.

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Hrm. Too bad you didn't mention that little tidbit in your original post. Don't bother to look for links then, I can believe that.

However, I have to admit that you just saying, "Obama polls very well with Republicans", seems kind of dishonest.

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well i figure since he is a democrat the for a democrat would hopefully be implied

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think it will be Guiliani with Huccaby as his running mate. I've heard rumors they're already working together. Watch the debate tonight to see if they ever attack each other. I say they'll both focus their attacks on Romney, and Hillary.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Considering you also implied that enough Republicans would jump ship for their party to give the vote to the Democrats, no, I still think you should've mentioned it.

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, barring some major shake-up, it's going to be Clinton vs. Giuliani. I'm not terribly excited about Hillary, but it will be extremely satisfying to watch Giuliani lose. It'll be like a national goodbye to the era of Sept. 11 daddy politics, which we're overdue for.

20. sandy Banned Banned

I don't think enough Republicans will support Rudy. He's a great guy but too much baggage and too liberal for most of us.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If she's the nominee, for sure. I would probably vote for Biden first, or Kucinich.

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

In most election years, I'd agree, but Romney doesn't seem to have the juice to surpass him, and everyone else is a joke...

23. sandy Banned Banned

Romney might surprise us all. He is VERY presidential. I don't think any of the other candidates are. :shrug: