Rods?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by MARTYB2K, Jun 4, 2003.

1. MARTYB2K Registered Member

I recently watched a program on "Rods" These are strange tiny objects that can appear on proples home movie footage when it is slowed right down. They appear to have gills like fish. Has anybody else seen these and what do you think of them? Are they some unknown type of animal or a UFO? If they are UFO's the Aliens must be tiny in them. LOL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MARTYB2K Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a good book on this subject?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. moving Registered Senior Member

Yeah, just like "ALL" crop circles are a hoax. Even the ones we can't duplicate.

8. moving Registered Senior Member

Yeah just like "ALL" crop circles are a hoax. Even the ones we can't duplicate.

9. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Doug Bower and Dave Chorley confessed to their hoaxes in 1991 and even demonstrated how they did them all..... and people still tout this as real?

Which crop circles couldn't be duplicated? I'm sure they were much more difficult to duplicate than your post (which is done twice, BTW)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. moving Registered Senior Member

SkinWalker
    I challange you to study the crop circle anomalies then tell me how you could duplicate them.
    P.S. How did Doug and Dave make the circles that appeared before they were born?

11. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I saw somewhere that rods look alot like a creature that lived hundreds of millions of years ago by lived in the water.

My theory is these "water rods" started jumping out of the water like modern flying fish or to a lesser extent dolphins. Then they evolved towards flight over millions of years. (Because the better something jumps out of the water and the longer it stays out of the water the more likely it is to escape predators)

Thats why rods look like this ancient "water rod" and why they are able to fly.

12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

According to Doug Yanega of the Entomology Department at the University of California at Riverside and a member of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board,

rods are a videographic artifact based on the frame capture rate of the videocam versus the wingbeat frequency of the insects. Essentially what you see is several wingbeat cycles of the insect on each frame of the video, creating the illusion of a "rod" with bulges along its length. The blurred body of the insect as it moves forward forms the "rod," and the oscillation of the wings up and down form the bulges. Anyone with a video camera can duplicate the effect, if you shoot enough footage of flying insects from the right distance.

http://www.skepdic.com/rods.html

13. dinokg Registered Senior Member

If rods are a video illusion then what about photographs of rods?

A photo is a single frame so a rod (If it is a video illusion) shouldn't show up on photograph.

But there are rod photos besides rod videos so it shows that rods are something other than a video illusion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

"Artifact" not "illusion." There's a difference.

15. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Artifact or illusion, the rods should still look different when compairing videos to pictures. And there are pictures that look about the same as videos of rods.

Also as far as what rods are they are probably regular creatures that evolved on earth and not aliens and stuff like that.

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Oh, there's little doubt that they are regular creatures... mosquitoes, gnats, bees, japanese beetles, flies, etc.

17. Crystal Registered Senior Member

Why is it some people are pathological tied to disproven claims?

crop circles aren't made by man?

There isn't a single crop circle that hasn't been proven to be man-made.

These people make me sick.

Rods on a video? What the hell are you nuts..

......do you know how many microbes are living on the video film and on the camera lens and on your face right now?

More in number than humans at any time combined will ever reach.

18. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

by Crystal:

There isn't a single crop circle that hasn't been proven to be man-made

Not saying there isn't, but where is information explaining the details
    given at this site?
    http://www.bltresearch.com/magnetic.html

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

Video is comprised of a stream of single images, as everybody with half a brain knows. So you see this effect on single video frames, and you see it on single photgraphs. Most film cameras have a faster shutter speed than video cameras, so you will see some differences in the effect, namely shorter rods. Rods believers will just tell you the rod was captured at a more acute angle though, .....

As has been mentioned, it's about shutter speed, an object moving fast enough within the exposure time of one frame to describe a line, with the wing beats captured. I saw some footage of supposed 'rods' near a cave entrance. It was obviously insects, the cave was riddled with them. Film thousands of insects for long enough, and you'll get a 'rod' effect.

Despite being thoroughly debunked, this one rears it's head every now and again. Just like the 'rhomboid spacecraft' captured on so many camcorders. It was an effect of de-focussing certain models of Sony camcorder, which had a rhomboid iris, no more, the image being captured, a shadow of the iris on the ccd from a point light source, like the lights on the wing of an aircraft, or Venus, or any one of the objects that cause UFO sightings.

20. moving Registered Senior Member

Duplicate this.

21. jonnyskins69 Registered Member

they couldnt

they couldnt duplicate it.

its those queers like skinwalker who make big claims and like to argue over the internet about stuff they really dont know much about.

If you cant find it on google they wont be able to tell you about it.

L)

22. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Why don't you tell us about it? I'm really not that smart of a guy.

But wow.. "queer." You're just chasing me all over the SciForums now aren't you? Are you sure I'm the queer one?

Sorry if I've offended you... I just try to be observant. And to answer the question, I can't explain that photo... I don't have access to the data or the source of the photo, nor do I have the expertise to give a proper examination (I'm not really in to agriculture or botany).

But I would say you can't explain it either.

Lastly, you might have noticed (if you've read any of my other posts besides this and the 8 ball one) that I often cite sources that cannot be found on Google. I'm a fan of peer reviewed journals.

23. moving Registered Senior Member