RIAA and Usenet

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Mickmeister, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is not Usenet but P2P websites that are popular and damaging to recordcompanies.

Unless some obscure artists, I can find anybody's music for free online. I haven't downloaded for quite sometime, because there are just so many new/less known musicians on videosites, so I just listen to them without saving/stealing their music...

A few months ago I ran into a new artist I liked. As an excercise, it took me less than 20 minutes to get his whole new album. Add 5 minutes for burning it...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Piracy is more often than not, more convenient than getting music legally. That's part of the problem.

As you say, Syzygys, you can download an album in minutes. It's there on your computer to listen to. 2 minutes later it's on a cd and your mp3 player. You don't need to rip a CD to get it into a useful format. No signing into sites and filling out information. No payment. It's just a lot easier.

If I went to the shop to buy a CD, I'd have to pay for parking - Say £2 minimum - pay for the petrol to get there - £2 maybe - walk to the shop, find the CD, which in all likelyhood they wouldn't have in stock. Assuming that all went smoothly I'd have the CD in my hands after about 20 minutes and it would have cost me upwards of £14. I'd still need to get home and rip the CD.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Singularity Banned Banned

The corporations are stupid, whats needed today for making people pay for the music ?

Well, i think they had enough for years paying for the whole album with just one good song. So if they wana sell songs they gota sell customized album.

I select the song i pay 1$ per song and thats it, i wont mind for that. In fact i want the artist to get money so the she can make new good songs.

Its all common sense but then the illuminati is not used to asking the common man what she wants, so pay for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Technology simply overstepped the industry, and they have a hard time to figure out how to make money out of it. It is not easy.
    It is not easy to write 12 good songs either. So the artists will have a harder time too.

Personally, why would I pay even $1 per song, when I can get it for free? And $1 still too much...

P.S.; For artists, the real money is in touring....

8. Singularity Banned Banned

Very Funny comments,

Fans do crazy things to get a glimpse of their superstar, u seriously think they wont pay ?

I never said 12 songs from one artist. I was talking about the dumb capitalist dictators, they are so used to dictate us that they cant see their own demise. Times have changed.

The lone artist may make money from touring but the mega music distributer can make a fortune by selling legal music online by letting users select the songs they want in single CD. But as we know they are an endangered specie.

I dont mind paying for my CD at my door step. But then they cant charge hefty for the best songs, as they used to charge us before on an entire album. But because of that legacy now they are loosing the profits which can be made on volumes; How stupid of them.

Dont wana respect humans, feeling low for asking what we want ? then Take this RIAA MPAA guys; http://www.google.co.in/search?q={-...rectory" +description +size +(wma|mp3) "DIGG"

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Phlogistician is right in the sense that the Music industry should really look to getting people back out into the venues, since a recorded mp3 or video stream doesn't match actually being at the venue.

The problem however is the amount they charge at venues, even local bands can put silly prices to bar/pub owners for playing and most of those landlords can't afford to put too many on, especially when they are up and coming or little known without a following as they just don't find any profit in it.

A little more advertisement of such bands and some backing from those companies that are too busy chasing shadows on the internet and they might find some new talent and make money all at the same time.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What I dislike about p2p most is the inconsistent and usually bad quality.
    If there is an album I like quite much, I usually order it on the Internet.
    I also buy cd's from artists who are so rare, that no satisfying rip can be found on the net.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

technology history:

When VCRs came out in the 70s, movie companies were affraid that the new technology is going to ruin their business. Then they realized that they can make money out of it, because people like to own and rewatch movies, so everybody got to be happy eventually.

Something similar idea is needed for the music industry today, although as I said, it is not easy. Now that the cost of copying music is practically ZERO, it will take a business genius to come up with some kind of profitsharing model...

And as internetspeed grows, eventually it will reach movies too. You can already download movies, as it gest faster and faster, less people will buy the DVDs....

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

iTunes should impliment a model of renting videos, that way I could pay like 1 or 2 dollars a movie, download it for a few days, then it would expire

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I buy all my music online at iTunes, but then I use something to take the music and remove the DRM. It's all kinda complex but the AAC is the music, the mp4 is the DRM, so what they've done is to make a program that copies the AAC after it's decrypted just before reaching your soundcard for processing, then dump it into a new mp4 container without DRM. No quality loss and no DRM

I think it's funny, I am very bored with the music industry because they are lazy and don't work. The recording people just sit in chairs and mix noises, they aren't doing anything that is worth much. I dislike paying people that sit all day

As for the artists, I don't care much about them. They are banging hot chicks all day, living the high life, so let's drag'm down alittle bit to the real world. And uhmm I feel cold coming on : cuddles :

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You don't know any artists personally, don't you?

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Microsoft has already implemented a method for hiring videos via XBOX Live (XBOX 360) in the US. They work on the principle of expiring after 24hrs, however you download and can then watch as many times as you like in that time period. After the expire period I think you can pay again to get the time bumped back up without having to re-download again.

However I don't think it's hit any other countries, mainly due to each country having their own licensing laws for films and of course duties. So it could be a while to see it occur in the rest of the world. Although saying that Microsoft and the BBC have something on the plan, although I'm not entirely sure without doing some searching on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.